Thread: Remote start on a manual?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Remote start on a manual?

How practical is remote on a manual trans mirage? I was thinking i can mount a switch next to the gear shifter so if the car was left in first it would hit the switch and disable remote start. Any one put remote start in a manual?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I install remote starts. If it's a remote start designed for manuals, you cannot leave it in gear by safety procedures.
    I'll explain what prevents this. When you want to be able to use it, the previous shut down has to occur. You have to put car in neutral, put foot on brake and pull e-brake, then hit start button on remote, release foot brake and turn key off, and car will stay running. When you open the door, the car will shut off and since you were exiting, it realizes it was not in gear and ready to be remotely started.

This has to be repeated before anytime you want to remote. It becomes muscle memory.
    (blank signature)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-30-2018),Top_Fuel (10-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I installed a remote start on a manual car ages ago. I had planned on setting up a safety, and started installing it, so it would know if it was in neutral or not. However, it was not fully hooked up yet. I was very careful during this time and got used to parking in neutral and using the e-brake always. But, one time I did leave it in reverse. I hit the button close to leaving time, and a couple minutes later went out to find my car across the road and backed up into the neighbor's bush! The neighbor was not amused in the least, and I'm glad I didn't hit something more expensive.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-31-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I installed a remote start on a manual car ages ago. I had planned on setting up a safety, and started installing it, so it would know if it was in neutral or not. However, it was not fully hooked up yet. I was very careful during this time and got used to parking in neutral and using the e-brake always. But, one time I did leave it in reverse. I hit the button close to leaving time, and a couple minutes later went out to find my car across the road and backed up into the neighbor's bush! The neighbor was not amused in the least, and I'm glad I didn't hit something more expensive.
    That is scary. I definitely wouldn't trust myself unless all safety checks were hooked up and running.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Yeah, it was very scary. I disconnected it when I got home. Sadly, I never got it hooked up again and removed it before selling the car.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    I install remote starts. If it's a remote start designed for manuals, you cannot leave it in gear by safety procedures.
    I'll explain what prevents this. When you want to be able to use it, the previous shut down has to occur. You have to put car in neutral, put foot on brake and pull e-brake, then hit start button on remote, release foot brake and turn key off, and car will stay running. When you open the door, the car will shut off and since you were exiting, it realizes it was not in gear and ready to be remotely started.

This has to be repeated before anytime you want to remote. It becomes muscle memory.
    That is a brilliantly simple solution to the problem. No fancy additional switches or controls. Just a difficult to screw up process.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Can you name a system I can buy?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I wouldn't install a remote start in a manual vehicle. I had one installed many years ago and one day while I was at work it self started in gear ( I hadn't armed it but left it in gear with the P-brake on) and just after lunch we felt a muffled thud, that was the truck hitting one of the steel supports for the roof over the store front.A yard to one side or the other it would have crashed through the plate glass window.
    We ran out and the truck's starter was still trying to turn the engine over.
    We called the police as the damage to my truck was substantial but they didn't believe me as there was no one to witness the truck moving by itself, how it managed to avoid other vehicles/people is a miracle!
    Thank god we had security cameras to check and it shows the truck's lights come on and it lurching across the lot with no one at the wheel!
    So no I won't put another one in a manual...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubablake View Post
    Can you name a system I can buy?
    Ultra Start makes good reliable systems. I've been installing them for 10 years without a single complaint or problem. Follow the instructions and you'll be golden.

(blank signature)