Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's getting wet out again. Any tips for defogging the windshield?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Haha, yes always fresh.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fogging windows or not is all about airflow and temperature differentials. You're on the right track with the fan idea. Keep the air moving. Fresh air. Ideally dehumidified air if you have AC.

We hit a peculiar problem here FL when it's hot and rainy, particularly if you're stuck in traffic, or if you spend a lot of time practicing parking with driving students like I do. If it's raining, you have to run the defrost. Which, by default runs the AC. But, it's freakin' hot, anyway, so you want the AC on. But, what happens if you sit too long is that the area where the defroster is hitting the windshield (or the side vent hits the side glass) gets super cold, and then you have a temperature differential between inside and outside and the condensation happens and just gets worse. The only way to fix THAT problem is to blast the heat on the winshield until it warms up and clears.

Pretty much had to do the same sort of thing in my Spitfire with no AC and rudimentary ventilation. If it was wet with the top up, ventilation was the first defense. But, if it started fogging anyway... heat was the answer.

I never tried RainX anti-fog, but I've heard great things about it. Racers use it on the inside of their helmet visors.

I can't live without RainX on the outside of the windshield. I actually had to stop and buy some to put on the rental car while I was on vacation. Constant drizzle... constant microdroplets on my winshield. RainX does wonders for stuff like that!
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yeah. I'm a convert. This is what I do now. Just too awesome.
    Name:  20181101_133045.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  90.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-22-2021)

^ That's an impressive illustration.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yeah haha. I tossed a bit of water on the floor of my van and ran foot vents full heat AC off.

That's how the window looked after 2 minutes. Kinda nutty.

Bother doing a write up if people search window fog to have come up? I mean it's literally wipe on wipe off and this topic should come up anyway.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Yeah. I'm a convert. This is what I do now. Just too awesome.
    Name:  20181101_133045.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  90.8 KB
    Have you changed your cabin air filter lately? The filters seem to trap junk and can get nasty restricting air flow.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Have you changed your cabin air filter lately? The filters seem to trap junk and can get nasty restricting air flow.
    This has been a problem for us since new.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can’t believe I’m just now seeing this. I’ve had problems with this in my car since day one but I figured out a magic solution that works for me. Of course you might not have success with this in different environments and temperatures.

What I do is I set the air to blow on the floor and the windshield. Then I set the temperature to 76°F and I press the AC button whether or not I want cold air. I do not turn on the outside vent. Opening the Outside vent is something I try to avoid because it allows exhaust in the car from other vehicles and it allows humidity to get inside the car. Humidity is nasty in Louisiana and it’s a great way for mold to start growing in the car resulting in terrible smells. I always leave the circulate inside air button turned on.

Anyway, this always clears the windshield for me and I’m able to enjoy a nice viewable windshield. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree. Cool (not icy cold, and not blowing directly on the windows to where it "chills" them) air and keep it recirculating so that the AC sucks the humidity out of it.

But, if you don't have AC, it won't work. Too much humidity in your breath, you've got to have the fresh air in that case.

In any case, I find it always best to have a good strategy and try to stay ahead of the problem. Do what you need to do to KEEP the windows from fogging. That's always easier than trying to get them clear AFTER they've fogged over.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I can’t believe I’m just now seeing this. I’ve had problems with this in my car since day one but I figured out a magic solution that works for me. Of course you might not have success with this in different environments and temperatures.

What I do is I set the air to blow on the floor and the windshield. Then I set the temperature to 76°F and I press the AC button whether or not I want cold air. I do not turn on the outside vent. Opening the Outside vent is something I try to avoid because it allows exhaust in the car from other vehicles and it allows humidity to get inside the car. Humidity is nasty in Louisiana and it’s a great way for mold to start growing in the car resulting in terrible smells. I always leave the circulate inside air button turned on.

Anyway, this always clears the windshield for me and I’m able to enjoy a nice viewable windshield. Of course, your mileage may vary.
    i use the same setting with the temp at 77 and just push the air conditioning button just long enough to clear the windshield. I don’t use recirculation mode though. At least here on the temperate Oregon Coast I find that intermittent use of the ac to clear the windshield seems to work fine. I usually only have to run a couple of short ac cycles of a minute or so in order to keep it clear.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)