Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's getting wet out again. Any tips for defogging the windshield?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Im down in sw florida, were even in "winter" we average 80% humidity I have no issue with fogging up, maybe im just normalized to it? Full blast heat until it clears, then back to normal operation. Never have it come back, takes 60-120 seconds to go away normally. Today we are sitting at 48°F and 75% humidity

2018 mirage ES manual

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    How is the rain-x anti fog working now that it is colder out? I've heard its great until you get into freezing temperatures.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have never owned a car that fogs up this much. I might give the Rain-X thing a shot. I actually came here searching to see if others were having as much condensation as I am.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    I have never owned a car that fogs up this much. I might give the Rain-X thing a shot. I actually came here searching to see if others were having as much condensation as I am.
    I hadn't thought about it much, but yeah, this car fogs up a ton. Have definitely ended up driving in dangerous conditions (very low visibility) because of it.

Rain-X, you say?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    l used to use shaving cream Gel on my Saturn in HS. l ran a bypass pulley and pulled the AC fuse...Never had a problem with the 7 winters l put it through. Never fogged up. l used Rain-X anti-fog and it didn't work...although l don't know if l applied it wrong or not...but l know 100% the Shaving Cream Gel worked. Both products will have to be re-applied every so often.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gillette-...CABEgJccvD_BwE
    Last edited by MirageRally; 01-29-2021 at 11:23 PM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    When its very cold and the car fogs up quick I do two very effective things:

1.) I and all others in the car shut up! That helps a lot.

2.) I wind down the window about half way or more for the first two or three minutes or so, then close the window when the heat becomes warm. If it still wants to fog up, window back down and continue with point 1.

Our cars are very efficient, and therefore don't turn much fuel into waste heat. Hence the heating system can not offer the same amount of heat as a not so economical car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    When its very cold and the car fogs up quick I do two very effective things:

1.) I and all others in the car shut up! That helps a lot.

2.) I wind down the window about half way or more for the first two or three minutes or so, then close the window when the heat becomes warm. If it still wants to fog up, window back down and continue with point 1.

Our cars are very efficient, and therefore don't turn much fuel into waste heat. Hence the heating system can not offer the same amount of heat as a not so economical car.
    My 1990 Ford Festiva (63 up) was similar to my Mirage, except it didn't have A/C. The moisture froze on the side windows more, too. That car was pretty efficient & never threw out much heat. It was on its 9th muffler when I sold it. I paid for one & Midas paid for the next 7. Water would pour out of them when removed. There wasn't enough heat to evaporate it in the muffler. At least that is what they kept telling me every year or two when it rusted out.

Ever been in a Chevy pickup? They have a ton of excessive heat!

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I had the same issue with my windows fogging up massively, and I took some shaving cream(the spray foam), en with a paper towel, just rub it into the glass. Never had the issue again.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JRB201 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-30-2021)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    i put those things from a shoebox dont know whats it called... but it looks like a tea bag with beads inside and helps with the moist on my winshield.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    i put those things from a shoebox dont know whats it called... but it looks like a tea bag with beads inside and helps with the moist on my winshield.
    Sounds like you are describing a desiccant.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)