Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ✚ EASY CVT Transmission Oil Change

I wouldn’t. Unless you drill a hole in the convertor you’re not gonna drain all the fluid from it. To get the most fluid out I’d just drop the pan and filter. If you’re really anal enough to want the torque drained might as well pull the valve body too. There’s a bunch of filters inside it too.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Fummins (and also for all your other helpful posts). Just coming up on the 30k-mile fluid change, so I'll stay conservative and do the multi drain & fill method.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Macmoto For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-08-2020)

I’ll have to start a patreon, go fund me or something.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

miragefan17 (07-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I just did my first CVT fluid exchange at 58k miles. I used a Schwaben 6.5L fluid extractor from ECS Tuning, and backed my car up onto ramps. After driving about 20 minutes beforehand I was able to get 4 liters of fluid out through the dipstick tube. Pretty good I would say, and super easy! I'll do it this way again in a couple months, and change the auxiliary filter.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Angrybeaver For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks,

Just pumped a little shy of 3qtz @ 35k miles.

Pump was a great idea.
    Very easy.

So now my question is:
    Dealer only recommended drain+fill.
    Which is 3 qtz of out of 7.4 (roughly) 35% dilution.

Is diluting the fluid 1 more time any better for the 35k mile cvt (i don't know this math but it will be "near"70%)?
    Last edited by 18slcmirage; 11-20-2020 at 09:27 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 18slcmirage For This Useful Post:

jimmy409 (03-03-2021)

When I took a Mirage to the dealer to try and get the cvt replaced under warranty(after they told me it needed a throttle body cleaning and spark plugs) they claimed that Mitsubishi's head office wanted proof that there were transmission flushes completed at 50,000km/30,000miles... I don't know wtf they meant by that. Most cars last til warranty is over without dropping the pan or even changing filters. Some don't. This car has just over 100,000km/60,000 miles and was serviced by an independent shop. But the cvt fluid was never changed in any of the cars at that location. They do now though... I ended up replacing the cvt with a used one.

Depending on how you drive and how long you plan to keep the car would depend on how much care I'd give it. If you plan to get rid of it once warranty is up do the minimum. I'd have something in writing or email from the dealer explaining that you only need to do a drop and fill to keep warranty. Dealers are greasy. Not all but lots.
    Mirage videos:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 18slcmirage View Post
    Thanks,

Just pumped a little shy of 3qtz @ 35k miles.

Pump was a great idea.
    Very easy.

So now my question is:
    Dealer only recommended drain+fill.
    Which is 3 qtz of out of 7.4 (roughly) 35% dilution.

Is diluting the fluid 1 more time any better for the 35k mile cvt (i don't know this math but it will be 70%)?
    I'm probably wrong but I believe the math goes like this:
    1st fluid change: 3/7.4 = 40.5% dilution
    2nd fluid change: 40.5 % + [3/(7.4 x 59.5%)]x59.5% (dilution of the remaining dirty fluid) = 81% total dilution.
    I invite anyone with half a math brain to check this because I keep second guessing it.
    Last edited by Macmoto; 11-20-2020 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Bad math, again

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Macmoto For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Lightbulb

Glad to have helped !

You have probably figured out that the pump is pretty sturdy, and can probably be pumped a weee bit faster than I originally stated.
    ( I pumped it about twice as fast, and it still works perfect )

- I found another CVT Fluid for the Mirage -

I cannot remember where I found the information, but apparently, the manufacturer of the Mirage CVT's recommends and / or owns this brand of fluid for the Mitsubishi Mirage CVT:

Idemitsu 30040091-95300C020 CVT Type N (NS-2) Transmission Fluid for Nissan

Name:  Idemitsu CVT Fluid.jpg
Views: 1311
Size:  54.4 KB

My Mirage mileage is 77K

So far, the ENEOS CVT Fluid has been working well, but as a test, my next CVT Fluid change will be with the Idemitsu 30040091-95300C020.
    Last edited by jimmy409; 03-03-2021 at 05:05 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmy409 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-03-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy409 View Post
    Glad to have helped !

You have probably figured out that the pump is pretty sturdy, and can probably be pumped a weee bit faster than I originally stated.
    ( I pumped it about twice as fast, and it still works perfect )

- I found another CVT Fluid for the Mirage -

I cannot remember where I found the information, but apparently, the manufacturer of the Mirage CVT's recommends and / or owns this brand of fluid for the Mitsubishi Mirage CVT:

Idemitsu 30040091-95300C020 CVT Type N (NS-2) Transmission Fluid for Nissan

Name:  Idemitsu CVT Fluid.jpg
Views: 1311
Size:  54.4 KB

My Mirage mileage is 77K

So far, the ENEOS CVT Fluid has been working well, but as a test, my next CVT Fluid change will be with the Idemitsu 30040091-95300C020.
    I don't have a Mirage, but I do have a Nissan Versa which uses the same CVT and have read on other forums that Idemitsu is the manufacturer of the original factory fill fluid in JATCO CVT's. Whether this is true or not I don't know. My Versa has got an extended 7/84 warranty on the CVT because of a class action law suit so I'm using Nissan fluid until the warranty expires then I'm probably going to use Valvoline CVT fluid. Until the warranty expires I don't want to have to worry about arguing with Nissan if there's ever a problem with the CVT. I've read of lots of people using Valvoline without problems so unless that changes I see no reason not to use it.