Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ✚ EASY CVT Transmission Oil Change

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This is interesting. Would you please share your sources for this? I'd like to learn more about sooty CVT fluid.

All my vehicles are manual transmissions, so it's not a concern to me - now. It appears that all automatic transmission vehicles are switching away from epicyclic gear designs to belt driven designs. I would like to learn more about this design in case I ever wind up owning one.
    Eggman,

Of course, there is no official documentation for this.

So, I have surmised this information by reading all of the posts regarding: "CVT Fluid" inside of this forum; also by observing what it happening to my own CVT transmission, compared to other 'regular' automatic transmissions that I have owned in the past.

I could put the links here, but it is probably just easier to do an advanced search on "CVT Fluid", and the "CVT" in general, within this forum / website to get you started reading.

Some members here have noted a higher than normal soot level in their CVT transmission fluid on normal working CVTs. I definitely notice it in my CVT fluid.

In fact, it would be interesting to see the color and mileage of everyone's Mirage CVT fluid.

Below, is an interesting and highly informative Youtube video link regarding automatic transmission fluid changes and soot, entitled: "Here's Why Changing Your Transmission Fluid Can Cause Damage":

Last edited by jimmy409; 11-04-2018 at 06:10 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmy409 For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (11-06-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy409 View Post
    In fact, it would be interesting to see the color and mileage of everyone's Mirage CVT fluid.
    Mine looked awful when I changed it after 100,000kms. Cloudy and grey. What I would call "sooty". After I changed it, the jerking from a stop went away and everything was much smoother. Fuel economy seemed to improve, as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tyrelirwin For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-14-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    As helpful as Scotty Kilmer can be, I would much rather trust Mitsubishi and their recommended oil change intervals. They're the ones who designed it, and they're also the ones dishing out the cash to pay for warranty work should things fail.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-20-2020),Fummins (10-30-2019),inuvik (12-14-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did this today using the hobby pump. Got 3 quarts out, put 3 back in, though I used a funnel to add it back.

That little pump works, but if you have arthritis its a PITA. Time to modify the pump

I'm at 120k miles. I originally drained the fluid via the pan at 35k miles when I first got the car and replaced with OEM fluid. I haven't touched the thing since then. Today, I used the Eneos fluid. What came out was dark, but not cloudy or grey as others have reported. I'll probably do this 3 quart flush routinely every 25k miles from here on out, though I'm not terribly concerned about this CVT. Its been great.
    Last edited by NorCalPhil; 03-27-2019 at 10:46 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NorCalPhil For This Useful Post:

craigq (03-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalPhil View Post
    I did this today using the hobby pump. Got 3 quarts out, put 3 back in, though I used a funnel to add it back.

That little pump works, but if you have arthritis its a PITA. Time to modify the pump

I'm at 120k miles. I originally drained the fluid via the pan at 35k miles when I first got the car and replaced with OEM fluid. I haven't touched the thing since then. Today, I used the Eneos fluid. What came out was dark, but not cloudy or grey as others have reported. I'll probably do this 3 quart flush routinely every 25k miles from here on out, though I'm not terribly concerned about this CVT. Its been great.
    Hello,

Glad to hear that it worked for you, even despite arthritis.

Please post your modification to the pump if and when you do it.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalPhil View Post

Hows it running?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Hows it running?
    Runs fine, thanks for asking

Up to 135k miles now, no CVT issues at all.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NorCalPhil For This Useful Post:

Basic (10-30-2019),Dirk Diggler (10-24-2020),Fummins (10-30-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    have you all ever done a fluid swap using the transmission pump a quart at a time from the line going to the cooler

Are you talking about the 2 heater hoses that go the the cooler on the front of the cvt near the dipstick? That's just coolant running through those lines. The cvt fluid runs into the cooler and back to the cvt, there are no external cvt fluid lines that go to the rad like a conventional automatic.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy409 View Post
    @Tyrelirwin

Yes, I believe most of the fluid is in the torque converter, and the rest in all the veins and clutches.

True, I feel the same as you. I want to change out all of the fluid. Now you have me thinking about that too.

My Mirage has 58K on it right now. At 60K my drivetrain warranty expires because I am not the original owner.

I am seriously thinking of doing the six pump-outs soon. My CVT is at the right mileage for this.

Six pump-outs would be very pricy with the cost of OEM J4 fluid.

Since the drivetrain warranty expires soon, I am seriously considering switching to another CVTF-J4 compliant fluid such as: ENEOS ECO CVT Transmission Fluid NS-3 Subaru 3026-300

A few senior members of this forum have essentially approved of using another CVT fluid, if it meets or exceeds the OEM standards.

This brand seems to be gaining popularity and claims that they have quality products. Many Amazon reviews seem to confirm the good quality.

Here's an 8 pack on eBay for $78 shipped:

Attachment 12999

Since I do not want to mix OEM CVT and the New CVT fluid, I would want to change out most all of the fluid using the 6 pump-outs.

Actually, I would just buy two of these 8 quart ENEOS fluid packs and call it close enough. In this way I could theoretically change out 90 something percent of the fluid for $156 shipped.

Then, continue to do the 2.8 quart maintenance pump-out every 20K.

It would probably be wise to do the six pump-outs with a few hundred miles in between each.

Have not pressed the Buy Button at eBay yet... But I'm thinkin about it...
    Has anyone considered draining the fluid, then idling the engine for, say, 30 seconds to extract/drain residual fluid in the torque converter? Could this potentially damage the CVT?