Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: ✚ EASY CVT Transmission Oil Change

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'd never do the metal filter in the cvt ever again, I'd always do the paper filter though it's easy and would catch most of the bad stuff and I'd always take the pan off and give it a good wipe out and clean the magnets off as they are the second hardest worker after the paper filter.

I really don't understand why Jatco put the drain bolt so high up, if you simply drain from there and refill you are leaving the worst of the sludge inside the cvt.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to skyblue For This Useful Post:

jimmy409 (10-29-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Great way to do a quick change... I took my2019 to the dealer and they only drained about 3.6 quarts out the plug ( I took the other0.4 quarts home , that stuff is expensive ). The thing about doing it that way is you don't change the filter at the same time. I felt ripped off at the dealership when they charged me $245 for a transmission service and an oil swap was all it was. I don't see the benefit of changing the fluid if you're just going to run it through the same dirty filter. I contacted Mitsubishi's regional Customer (dis)service office after trying to discuss this with the dealer's service manager and was told by them that they only change the filter when doing an overhaul. Seems to me if you change the filter with the fluid it will make overhauling a lot less likely but i'm not trying to sell new cars.
    Filter #2921A007 gasket #2921A006 (adds about 15 minutes to a fluid change)
    here is a link to Mitsubishi's CVT tech service bulletin
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...62635-9999.pdf
    Last edited by seatramp; 12-27-2021 at 08:59 PM. Reason: thought the service directive might be handy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to seatramp For This Useful Post:

jimmy409 (01-04-2022)

The dealer drained 3.6quarts from the drain plug? Sounds like you had an extra quart in there or you got ripped off more than you realized. I'm leaning towards the latter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (01-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @skyblue & @seatramp,

Thank you for the information.

Changing the paper filter along with cleaning the pan and magnets seems the best.

I was researching changing the CVT paper filter, and found the following video.

The first five minutes of the video show the locations of the paper and metal filters, however, the entire video is gripping:

Nissan Sentra, Versa CVT , RE0F11A (JF015E) - FULL Disassembly

credit to user Pyrobund post here: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...s(information)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmy409 For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (01-04-2022),Ylmir (06-22-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Question to the forum.

Referring to the video and the picture below, are these the pan magnets ?

Name:  Pan Magnets.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  86.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy409 View Post
    Question to the forum.

Referring to the video and the picture below, are these the pan magnets ?

Name:  Pan Magnets.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  86.8 KB
    Yes. There are also 2 in the Mirage cvt oil pan.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

jimmy409 (01-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Push? Ah, I see how that works! Gripping is an understatement. Also a pun! Thank you for the video. Emphasizes fluid change importance, in my opinion. Maybe even the wisdom of the paper filter change as well.
    Karl

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CROSSBOLT For This Useful Post:

jimmy409 (01-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you Fummins!

I can confirm filter changes does help prolong these cvt's. I just had one in the shop with 432,000kms/268,000miles on the original cvt. I maintained this one a little better than the rest early on. Multiple filter changes, changed the metal strainer once as well(probably didn't need to but wth). I've only been doing drop and fills or drop the entire pan and refill for the last few years though.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (01-04-2022),Dirk Diggler (01-05-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I can confirm filter changes help prolong these cvt's. I just had one in the shop with 432,000kms/268,000miles on the original cvt. I maintained this one a little better than the rest early on. Multiple filter changes, changed the metal strainer once as well(probably didn't need to but wth). I've only been doing drop and fills or drop the entire pan and refill for the last few years though.
    What km interval do you suggest for CVT filter changes? Could you get away with just doing the auxiliary side paper filter?