Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tapatalk for mobile devices

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Tapatalk for mobile devices

Is there any chance we could get the Tapatalk plug-in added to this website? I run it on my website, DMCtoday.com, and it makes things so much easier for using the forum on Android and iPhone devices. It’s free and doesn’t cost anything to add to the vbulletin website. I remember correctly, it’s pretty easy to add it to the website as well. Just a suggestion, and I think it would make it easier for a lot of people to access this website from their mobile devices.

Last edited by stevedmc; 11-02-2018 at 01:56 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No one interested in this?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I use a desktop and laptop primarily. When I'm mobile I use my iPad Mini 4 so for me at least it's not a issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I use a desktop and laptop primarily. When I'm mobile I use my iPad Mini 4 so for me at least it's not a issue.
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't even see a mobile version of this site. When I load it on my mobile, whether I use Andriod or Apple, it goes to the regular desktop version.

I run the same vBulletin software on my forum, DMCToday, and the guys at DMCTalk use vBulletin as well. Both of our sites run Tapatalk and for those that don't want to use Tapatalk, or sites at least have mobile versions for easier viewing on phones.

Maybe this site does have a mobile version, I really don't know. But I do know that the mobile versions load automatically on other vBulletin forums and don't load automatically here.

As a forum owner, I can say it is very easy to install Tapatalk and it would get this site even more traffic.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I'll offer my opinion on this.

I like browsing the forum well enough on my phone as it is. Sometimes the text displays too small but otherwise I find it usable. I'm appreciative that the forum works well enough without different settings for mobile or desktop use. There's an elegance in simplicity of design, clear of feature bloat.

I am somewhat concerned with privacy and corporate snooping (somewhere short of crippling paranoia.) I don't want to load one more application program on my phone. Smartphones are sophisticated spying devices. Browsing forums independently keeps one from monitoring your interests across platforms, as well as it can be. Using an app such as Tapatalk, I would expect someone (from or through Tapatalk) will be snooping on my browsing habits, and I Do Not Want That.

I'm curious - what permissions does Tapatalk require?

That's just my opinion. Be sure to get your own.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Tapatalk can’t be any less secure than all the advertising in this site. As an incentive, you can monetize Tapatalk to make even more advertising dollars from it.

I run my forum and the Tapatalk plugin ad free along with the guys at DMCTalk. It really doesn’t cost much to run a forum and ads aren’t cool.

Anyway, any chance we could at least get the mobile vBulletin version of this forum enabled? It really is difficult reading the tiny text of this forum on my phone and having to scroll left and right. As I type this, I can’t even see what I am writing.

My forum enabled it automatically when I set the thing up. I didn’t have to do anything to make it happen when I brought my forum online.

I can’t believe I am even asking for a more modern way to use this website. Usually I’m the one on here wishing cars still had carburetors.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Tapatalk can’t be any less secure than all the advertising in this site. As an incentive, you can monetize Tapatalk to make even more advertising dollars from it.
    I'm not criticizing Tapatalk for security although I understand they have historically had security problems - which I hope has been addressed by now.

I'm not sure if you are deflecting or we are talking past each other, but my concern lies not with data security but with tracking, snooping & spying on our internet browsing habits - yours and mine. If some faceless corporation wants that info on me, they 1.) ought to get my permission first and 2.) ought to pay me for it.

I run my forum and the Tapatalk plugin ad free along with the guys at DMCTalk. It really doesn’t cost much to run a forum and ads aren’t cool.
    I don't know if you are aware of this but those ads you see when you are logged in to the forum are not generated by the forum itself. I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that when we browse the forum logged on it is ad-free.

When I log on and browse the forum using a desktop interface, I see no ads. When I log on and browse the forum using my 'smart' phone, I see all sorts of ads.

Take a look at who is providing those ads and get back to us as to what you find. I believe those ads are either of the 'smart' phone operating system (Google AdSense?), or is it from the cellular data provider (although this can't be because I see those stupid ads when browsing via wifi) - ugh. But this should be a thread all it's own as I don't see how the forum hosts & administrators can do anything about it.

Anyway, any chance we could at least get the mobile vBulletin version of this forum enabled? It really is difficult reading the tiny text of this forum on my phone and having to scroll left and right. As I type this, I can’t even see what I am writing.

My forum enabled it automatically when I set the thing up. I didn’t have to do anything to make it happen when I brought my forum online.

I can’t believe I am even asking for a more modern way to use this website. Usually I’m the one on here wishing cars still had carburetors.
    This is a logical request unless it introduces some extra financial expense or opens a security risk of some sort.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As a vBulletin forum owner, I can tell you those ads are there because someone that manages/setup this forum put them there. My forum and many other vBulletin forums do not have any ads present. The purpose of those ads is to make money, plain and simple.

Unless vBulletin is giving away their software, we shouldn’t see any ads unless they were setup on purpose. I paid about $300 for my copy of vBulletin over five years ago, pay another hundred or so to godaddy every year for hosting, and my forum runs ad free.

I’m signed into the forum right now and I see ads. Nothing wrong with that, it’s the site owners business how the place is ran. I simply stated that ads are not cool, and I think most people will agree except for the person making money if of it.

Regardless, that’s a whole other topic. I’m just asking if we can at least get a mobile version of this site or Tapatalk. In all honesty, I used to think the idea of Tapatalk was silly until I actually tried it.

Name:  4520A113-B42A-4D9C-924F-65D2F83B49EB.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  97.8 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As a vBulletin forum owner, I can tell you those ads are there because someone that manages/setup this forum put them there. My forum and many other vBulletin forums do not have any ads present. The purpose of those ads is to make money, plain and simple.

Unless vBulletin is giving away their software, we shouldn’t see any ads unless they were setup on purpose. I paid about $300 for my copy of vBulletin over five years ago, pay another hundred or so to godaddy every year for hosting, and my forum runs ad free.

I’m signed into the forum right now and I see ads. Nothing wrong with that, it’s the site owners business how the place is ran. I simply stated that ads are not cool, and I think most people will agree except for the person making money if of it.

Regardless, that’s a whole other topic. I’m just asking if we can at least get a mobile version of this site or Tapatalk. In all honesty, I used to think the idea of Tapatalk was silly until I actually tried it.

Name:  4520A113-B42A-4D9C-924F-65D2F83B49EB.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  97.8 KB
    Steve (assuming that is your name) I don't doubt your testimony as a forum administrator.

Perhaps you can entertain my curiosity. For an experiment, log in to the forum from a desktop platform. I'm curious to know if 1.) you are served ads and 2.) what ad networks they are from.

To clarify, I have no administrative rights over such matters as advertising on this forum.

P.S.: Some assumptions on my part that are worth confirming:
    1. Those ads are Google ads, the same as the ones I see though different content.
    2. You are browsing on an Android device - an operating system brought to you by Google.
    3. Again, what permissions does Tapatalk require?
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-03-2018 at 10:53 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just got home and signed onto the desktop. I see the same amount of advertisements whether I am signed on or not. It also doesn't matter if I am on an Android device, Apple device, or my Windows desktop.

And to clarify, whoever elected to have advertisements on this forum isn't hand picking the advertisements. The way it works, is the person who owns the forum signs up for something such as Google Ad Sense, then installs a piece of code on the forum, and that code checks the cookies on the users device to determine what sort of advertisement is display. It is all about revenue.

If the owner of this forum is not aware that advertising is going on, then there is a much bigger issue at hand than worrying about whether or not Tapatalk would compromise this forum. Frankly put, if whoever owns this forum isn't aware of advertisements being displayed then this forum is already compromised.

But like I keep saying, if they owner of this forum wants to make a few dollars with advertising, that is his or her business. I was simply saying earlier that advertising isn't cool, but should the owner of this forum want to take advantage of advertising revenue in Tapatalk, it is available.

Name:  ads before signing on.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  89.9 KBName:  ads while signed on.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  90.2 KBName:  ads while signed on 2.png
Views: 216
Size:  6.9 KB