Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Mirage Clutch (analysis & weaknesses etc., with pics)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    The 2014 and 2017 Mirage have the same Mitsubishi flywheel part number (1120A266). The clutch friction disc is also the same part number between the years. So, the clutch will fit. Its just a mistake on the clutch manufacturer's listing.
    Well played. Thanks Daox.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice overview.

I imagine my clutch should last an extremely long time. I typically shift the car around 2700-2900 rpm 99% of the time. Theres also no real reason to downshift in normal driving. Just let off the gas and coast it down til you feel like dropping it in neutral and by that time you barely need to tap the gas.

Thanks for the autopsy!

SPRINGS - The springs go between the hub and the body of the clutch. That springy forward motion you feel as you release the clutch is these springs in action! They absorb some of the torque and then release it. Sort of gives it a little "bouncy" feeling. Without these springs, clutch engagement becomes VERY harsh. That makes starting the car off from a stop very difficult. It also puts a lot of torque INSTANTLY into the driveline, which can be bad for transmission and differential parts. On the plus side, clutch engagement happens VERY fast, and shifts can be a lot quicker. Potentially good for track racing (where the launch isn't important) if you don't mind putting extra wear on your driveline. Pretty horrible for a daily driver.
    Can confirm!

I'm pretty certain my 2000 Chevy Metro winter beater has broken clutch springs. It requires a lot of attention to get smooth starts, and without that damping, it's noisy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Loren - Thanks for the thorough write up and photos.

Has anyone here experienced a strange noise when starting up in reverse? Not sure how to describe it, but similar to what Loren mentioned - a harmonic sound.

Unlike Loren's car and most of the others in this thread, my 2015 has only 16K miles on it and has been babied since new. The only 'hardship' it's experiences is a lot of stop-and-go traffic. But I've been driving stick for longer than I'd admit and would like to think I know how to do it well enough to not damage the drive train prematurely.

Based on this thread, perhaps it is clutch spring wear, but at 16K gentle miles?

Does it do it consistently? Any chance to record it in a video?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    Loren - Thanks for the thorough write up and photos.

Has anyone here experienced a strange noise when starting up in reverse? Not sure how to describe it, but similar to what Loren mentioned - a harmonic sound.

Unlike Loren's car and most of the others in this thread, my 2015 has only 16K miles on it and has been babied since new. The only 'hardship' it's experiences is a lot of stop-and-go traffic. But I've been driving stick for longer than I'd admit and would like to think I know how to do it well enough to not damage the drive train prematurely.

Based on this thread, perhaps it is clutch spring wear, but at 16K gentle miles?
    Ranny, I also have a 2015 with manual transmission. If I understand correctly, you are talking about starting the engine while the transmission is in reverse? I do this on a regular basis and have no problems with strange noises.

Try looking at your clutch. Two things come to mind:
    1. Have you adjusted your clutch cable? There's a simple, tool-free procedure on this outlined in the service manual.
    2. Some of these clutch disc damper springs have been damaged, and interfere with fully de-coupling the engine from the transmission. I hope that's not what's happening for you - but you say this only happens in reverse, so I suppose it's not likely?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's actually not starting the car when it's in reverse. It's just when starting out in reverse there's a brief strange noise. Not awful, but it's new and disconcerting. Given that the car is under warranty, perhaps I'll see if the dealer will do anything next time it goes in for an oil change. At the rate it's racking up the miles, that might occur in another 3 months. Meanwhile, I'll see if I can capture a recording of the noise and post it.

Other than that, no complaints with the car. It does what a small, cheap car is supposed to do very well and costs me next to nothing to run. Whenever I think about a nicer car, I do the math and decide to stick with the Mirage.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    My mirage will be 5yrs this May and has almost 60k odo.

The mechanic who did my PMS said my clutch is still ok when he test and its still not sliding.

Bust just to be safe im planning to change my clutch.
    My question is, do i need to buy the whole clutch kit plate, cover and bearing. or just the plate or what? any advice?

Name:  20200326_193015.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  55.4 KB
    Last edited by mitsumi; 03-26-2020 at 11:31 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Unless you're hard on it, like start out in 3rd all the time, drive with your foot resting on the clutch pedal, shift without letting off the throttle and only have access to a mechanic every few years I'd leave it til it's at least showing signs of wear or problems.
    Looking at the odometer is not a way to measure how much life is in a clutch. I can and have limped junk around for months with a slipping clutch and across the city with no clutch at all. So it's a waste of money to change it if it works. But if your dead set on replacing it I'd get a kit with pressure plate and throwout bearing. I don't know if these cars have a pilot bearing or not, if they do replace it. It's not a good time when one of those pile up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Loren (03-26-2020),MetroMPG (03-26-2020),mitsumi (03-26-2020),poorman1 (01-31-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't know if these cars have a pilot bearing or not...
    I remember Loren saying that his Mirage did not have a pilot bearing when he replaced his seriously abused clutch (see this post).

For what it's worth...I'm not planning on ever replacing my clutch!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-26-2020),mitsumi (03-26-2020)