Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Mirage Clutch (analysis & weaknesses etc., with pics)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    My mirage will be 5yrs this May and has almost 60k odo.

The mechanic who did my PMS said my clutch is still ok when he test and its still not sliding.

Bust just to be safe im planning to change my clutch.
    My question is, do i need to buy the whole clutch kit plate, cover and bearing. or just the plate or what? any advice?

Attachment 17475
    If I thought a Mirage would need a clutch replaced @ 60,000 miles, I would have never bought one. I only buy/drive manuals, & I am 57 years old. I have never replaced a clutch in a vehicle. Steve has over 285,000 miles on his Mirage, & he hasn't replaced his clutch yet.

An older gentleman got some recognition when his Nissan Frontier reached 1,000,000 miles recently. He uses his truck for delivery service, & he replaced his clutch @ 801,000 miles.

I am not saying a clutch can't go bad. It should last a very long time on a small car like the Mirage. If you are using your clutch properly, it may have more than 75% of its useful life left in it @ 60,000 miles.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (03-26-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you need to replace a clutch, it's a lot of work. Best to replace EVERY clutch component and take your time to do the job right when you do it.

But... I'm in a blunt mood today... replacing a perfectly good clutch on a 60k mile car is just stupid.

If it's not slipping, shuddering, or making any strange noises --- just leave it alone until it does.

Mine was making noises, but even then... I only replaced it because I had to take the engine out! While the engine was out, I inspected the clutch and opted to replace it because it was damaged. Damaged due to abuse, I might add.
    Simplify and add lightness.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (04-17-2021),Top_Fuel (03-26-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    If you need to replace a clutch, it's a lot of work. Best to replace EVERY clutch component and take your time to do the job right when you do it.

But... I'm in a blunt mood today... replacing a perfectly good clutch on a 60k mile car is just stupid.

If it's not slipping, shuddering, or making any strange noises --- just leave it alone until it does.

Mine was making noises, but even then... I only replaced it because I had to take the engine out! While the engine was out, I inspected the clutch and opted to replace it because it was damaged. Damaged due to abuse, I might add.
    Yes, I agree. No reason to replace the clutch @60k unless you've been abusing it. And if you end up replacing it, Loren is right, replace everything.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (03-26-2020)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Easy mates... im just asking im no pro on this thats why i wanna get your opinions.

Thank you so much for all your inputs.

Really love this forum! Keep it alive!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Alright. Bad clutch disk. Replacing it. I could have taken the clutch disk to a local clutch shop that does custom racing clutches and had them rebuild/improve it. But, instead, I opted to just buy a clutch kit that was readily available on Amazon for $105. It's US made by a company called Southeastern Clutch.
    Added this to the Engine & transmission aftermarket parts index.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)