Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How messy is the oil filter change on the Mirage ?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Question How messy is the oil filter change on the Mirage ?

I'm going to do my winter oil change soon. How messy is it? I'm used to no-mess VW oil filters up top, and the new generation of Subaru engines with the filter on top (again no mess), heck even the Pentastar 3.6L V6 in my old Jeep Wrangler with the oil filter up top.

I'm probably going to get aren't I? I imagine with the oil dripping down that steel "funnel" attached to the side of the engine block, and trying to dry up oil on the side of the block etc... The last block I had with a horizontally installed oil filter was in a 2003 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.8L QG18DE, that was a PITA. It was mounted on the firewall side above the flex pipe for the exhaust, total mess every single time. Had to wrap the flex pipe in a baggy so the oil didn't saturate it and burn off for days. Thanks Nissan.

Thanks in advance guys and gals !

2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Oil changes are very tidy.

The 'funnel' actually keeps oil off of the block. I just give the funnel a quick wipe with a rag after I have removed the old filter and before I put the new one on. The filter is a bit tricky to get to, but there won't be any mess. I have spindly arms so it isn't hard for me. But if you have 'pythons', then it might be hard to get in there!

The first filter is typically hard to get off. Be sure to lubricate the o-ring on the new filter with oil to make it easier to remove the next time. I am not sure this is done from the factory.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-08-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    If this is the first oil change your car has ever had, the biggest difficulty you will have doing this job is removing the factory oil filter. They over-tighten them and don't use oil on the oil filter rubber seal. You will need some sort of filter wrench to get it off...and there's not a lot of access in there. I used a strap wrench and literally had to start crushing the filter before it would budge. You can read a similar discussion HERE.

I hand-tighten the filter when I do an oil change and I can remove it from above (by hand) easily without a tool.

You also don't need to remove the plastic shield underneath the front of the car. Some people have done this in the past, but there's a cutout in the shield (see red box below) that allows the residual oil in the filter to drain off of that metal funnel under the filter.

Name:  shield.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  50.6 KB

Once you change the oil a couple of times, you will be able to do it very quickly without any mess.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-08-2018)

What they said.
    The factory filters are way too tight and actually smaller than the ones Mitsubishi sells(the Mitsu ones are also pre greased). I pulled the shield off a few cars to get more room (on the first oil changes) but soon bought the proper socket. Just spin it loose a bit and let it drain for a while. It runs down the trough and some goes straight down and some flows down the skid plate thing under the starter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-08-2018)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    With an oil filter cap size 65/14, it is very easy to swap the filter.
    65/14 means 65mm with 14 sides.
    Last edited by foama; 11-07-2018 at 05:37 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-08-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    With an oil filter cap size 65/14, it is very easy to swap the filter.
    65/14 means 65mm with 14 sides.
    I don't disagree with that and I actually bought one of those (pic below). But the reality is that once you get the factory filter off, you might be able to get by without any filter tool at all. I tighten my filters by hand and I'm able to remove them by hand when I change my oil.

Name:  filter_socket.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  69.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-08-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I might get to it tomorrow, was half-thinking of doing it today but didn’t really have my head in it so I replaced the door sweep on our front door before winter sets in.

I’ve been changing my own oil for 23 years or so across maybe 10 cars (S10 with a SBC, MGB, Sentra 1.8L, Yaris 1.5L, Smart Fortwo 1.0L, Sonata V6 3.3L, VW GLI, 2 FozXT’s with the DIT, Jeep Wrangler JK, Golf R) and 5 motorcycles and I really do prefer clean oil changes than messy sh!t-shows.
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    As has been stated, it's pretty clean.

Pop the plug, wait 5 MINUTES AFTER IT STOPS DRAINING so that most of the crap in the filter gets syphoned out slightly. Then yes, a few drops will drip down the funnel and miss the aerotray. If you loosen it too early the deluge will spill onto the aerotray.

I STRONGLY recommend you take the 8 seconds to remove the aerotray for your first change. In doing so you get way more room, way more light, and won't spill anything on anything other than your waste oil pan.

I had the shop do my first oil change at 1000km when I picked up my winter tires, so I didn't have a really hard time removing my oil filter. I have heard they are normally torqued to 100ftlb and fused to the block though...

Just a heads up, the filter cannot be primed much at all without dripping when you go to replace it. Use just barely enough oil to wet the paper. Anymore and, well, trust me, it'll all get poured out on install.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-08-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craigq View Post
    I'm going to do my winter oil change soon. How messy is it?

Thanks in advance guys and gals !
    I always do my own oil changes, too. I added a Fumoto engine oil drain value (F106S). That particular value fits nicely on the oil pan, & it eliminates the need to replace a crushed washer on the drain plug each time. I have never used a Fumoto drain value before, & I like it.

I also like it when you can remove the oil filter while standing, and that is easily done with the correct socket (which has been already covered by others). I also wipe off the metal plate that directs the oil alway from engine before adding the new oil filter. Personally, I think it's an easy job.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-08-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Looking back I just realized why I didn't have to fight my first oil filter off, like so many here do. The first filter I changed was the third filter the car had. I got one free oil change from Mitsubishi when I bought the car and one free one from the dealership.

THEY had to fight the first filter off!