Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How messy is the oil filter change on the Mirage ?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote:
    I don't disagree with that and I actually bought one of those (pic below). But the reality is that once you get the factory filter off, you might be able to get by without any filter tool at all. I tighten my filters by hand and I'm able to remove them by hand when I change my oil.

I agree with that too!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks again everyone. I did the oil change this afternoon, M1 AFE 0W20 and a MZ690072 from the dealership. Like you said Fummins, that little funnel/spout ended up dripping oil down onto that odd skid plate thing under the starter and I had oil dripping from the back of that missing the drain pan going right on the floor

I removed that flimsy plastic shield, found I had a lot more room to wrestle with the oil filter; I think I’ll be popping off that plastic shield each time, just for my own sake. I used my large set of Channellock oil pliers to get the filter off. It was on good, dented the filter a bit but not too bad. I installed the Fumoto F106S, have one on each of the last two Subaru’s and really like them.

Thanks again for your help guys.
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by craigq View Post
    , that little funnel/spout ended up dripping oil down onto that odd skid plate thing under the starter and I had oil dripping from the back o
    We warned you!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craigq View Post

I removed that flimsy plastic shield, found I had a lot more room to wrestle with the oil filter; I think I’ll be popping off that plastic shield each time, just for my own sake. I used my large set of Channellock oil pliers to get the filter off. It was on good, dented the filter a bit but not too bad. I installed the Fumoto F106S, have one on each of the last two Subaru’s and really like them.

Thanks again for your help guys.
    I may be wrong, but it sounds like some of you are removing the oil filter from underneath the car. I wouldn't do that unless I had a lift & could stand underneath the car to do everything.

I remove the filter from the top while standing up. It's not as easy as my Subaru Forester, but it's the second easiest oil filter to remove of all the vehicles that I have ever owned. If you have a oil filter socket wrench, reaching over the front of the car & removing the filter isn't that hard. You don't have to mess with anything. You have to reach around the radiator hose somewhat, but using the right oil filter socket makes that easy to do. Since I haven't done it recently, I don't remember if I use a short socket extension with the racket or not. Removing the oil filter from the bottom of the car & wrestling with it is not something I can even relate to. If I can remove the oil filter standing up, I always go that route. If I owned a lift, I may tackle it differently.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with just hand tightening an oil filter either. If the filter would happen to loosen, the damage to the engine would be quick. Over tightening a filter can have the same effect, too. I once saw a company vehicle (new Chevy Trailblazer) lose its oil filter after it's first 3,000 mile oil change. The quick lube place had put it on to tight and stripped the treads of the oil filter. The filter fell off, & the guys driving it didn't notice the engine light. They made it approximately 2 miles down the road, and the engine was destroyed. It locked up entirely. The insurance company of the quick lube place had to replace the engine.

Most cars I have owned over the years require you to remove the oil filter from underneath the car. In my mind, the Mirage & my Subaru are not those cars.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just about every oil filter in the world requires a set (contact plus 1/4 turn) for install. It's generally a few ftlb. 10, max?

Oil filters dont back off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-09-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Just about every oil filter in the world requires a set (contact plus 1/4 turn) for install. It's generally a few ftlb. 10, max?

That's why it's foolish to over tighten one & thus my point. I still wouldn't just hand tighten one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post

I agree. Every one I've seen recommends the same thing too. The o-ring provides the holding power as its compressed with the 1/4 turn.

When I just did my first oil change a few weeks ago, I literally didn't feel any resistance when I spun the filter off. However, it didn't leak at all. I had been driving it for 4k miles like that. But, it sure was a bit unnerving spinning it off and not having to give it any real effort.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Why am I seeing that the Fumoto F106S is not the correct plug for a 2018 Mirage? This has peaked my interest in them, but that does not seem to be the correct drain plug... Thoughts?
    UPDATE - Fumoto site says the F106S is the correct one.. Bad info on another site I guess.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Fumoto has several valves that will work.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-09-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I don't disagree with that and I actually bought one of those (pic below). But the reality is that once you get the factory filter off, you might be able to get by without any filter tool at all. I tighten my filters by hand and I'm able to remove them by hand when I change my oil.

Attachment 13007
    This. I almost never need that tool, which I do own, because I can take it back off by hand.