Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Yaris hatchback deathwatch is on. UPDATE: dead. UPDATE: it's baaaaack!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    It's the same sort of work-around that Subaru used when they brought over the BRAT. They cleverly bolted rear-facing jump seats into the bed when they imported them. This allowed what was a little pickup truck to be classified as a 'passenger vehicle' for tax purposes. Adding $50-$100 worth of seats saved Subaru thousands of dollars in taxes on each BRAT they sent here.

The seats were often removed by the Subaru dealership as soon as the BRATs arrived. When I was in junior high I remember my buddy's dad had a Nissan 720 4x4 with those Subie jump seats bolted into the bed.

There are LOTS of weird ways to work around that tax.
    Oh man. My first brand new car was an '87 Subaru Brat, mica red metallic. I had a low rise cap painted the same gold color with red pinstripe border as the Brat decal. Really looked nice. Those were the days LOL

2017 Mirage ES - Black

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    asked me a lot of questions about my 2015 hatchback and I let her drive it for a day.
    Nice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Confirmed: Yaris hatch discontinued

In a move that may not come as a complete shock, Toyota has discontinued the Yaris Liftback here in the U.S. Once the brand's most affordable car, the Yaris name was recently re-purposed for the Yaris Sedan, the latest incarnation of the Scion iA. The change was confirmed today by Toyota spokesperson Nancy Hubbell.
    The Yaris sedan (a rebadged Mazda 2) will carry on.

Source: https://www.carsdirect.com/automotiv...inued-for-2019

The article, however, also says that Toyota will be making a Yaris-related announcement at the New York Auto Show regarding its 2020 model.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ugh, that Mazduh sedan blows.

This is the reason I'm here though LOL. I would have bought another Yaris if they were available.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Yaris was pretty outdated platform-wise, so I don't see this as a big surprise.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Interesting US sales stat:

Of the 27,209 Yaris vehicles sold in 2018, just 1,940 featured a liftgate.
    https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...a-yaris-hatch/

One plausible tidbit from the rumour mill: Toyota rebadges the Mazda 2 hatchback as the 2020 Yaris to go along with the rebadged Mazda 2 sedan?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Pryme (01-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Jeez I hope not. That would suck.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    The death of a small car model is nothing new for Toyota. In the case of the Yaris, the ugly front end probably helped finish it off.

Toyota Tercel had a five generation run (1978-1999)

Then the Echo appears & had a 5 year run (2000-2005)

Around 2006-07, the Yaris hits the U.S. market.

As they talk about the death of the Yaris hatchback, they allude to something else on the horizon.

I'm sure dealers are pushing the newer Corolla hatchbacks, too!

You would think the Prius C would have pulled away some the Yaris hatchback sales, but the Prius C sales are dropping, too.

Cheap oil/gas = loss of interest in small cars!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    One plausible tidbit from the rumour mill: Toyota rebadges the Mazda 2 hatchback as the 2020 Yaris to go along with the rebadged Mazda 2 sedan?
    The Mazda 2 sedan is selling successfully, so why not? It saves Toyota production capacity for more profitable ventures.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Toyota Tercel had a five generation run (1978-1999)

Then the Echo appears & had a 5 year run (2000-2005)

Around 2006-07, the Yaris hits the U.S. market.
    Interesting. I thought the Echo and the Yaris were different names for the same model.

At least that's what is found on Wikipedia.

Wikipedia - Toyota Yaris

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The Toyota Yaris (Japanese: トヨタ ・ヤリス Toyota Yarisu) is a subcompact car sold by Toyota since 1999, replacing the Starlet and Tercel.

Between 1999 and 2005, some markets received the same vehicles under the Toyota Echo name. Toyota has used the "Yaris" and "Echo" names on the export version of several different Japanese-market models. From 2015, most Yaris sedan models marketed in North America are based on the Mazda2 and produced for Toyota by Mazda.

The name "Yaris" is derived from "Charis", the singular form of Charites, the Greek goddesses of charm and beauty. For the fourth generation model, the "Yaris" name will be used worldwide, including Japan (replaces the "Vitz" name).
    Japanese car companies sometimes have confusing and seemingly silly vehicle naming practices. Mitsubishi is a prime example.

Last edited by Eggman; 01-25-2019 at 08:53 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)