Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Yaris hatchback deathwatch is on. UPDATE: dead. UPDATE: it's baaaaack!!

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    The Tundra and Taco are built in the United States.
    Are you sure they are 'built' in the US or bolted together in the US? As I said still increases costs.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Are you sure they are 'built' in the US or bolted together in the US? As I said still increases costs.
    73.5% of Tundra and 71% of Tacoma is GDP from the USA, more than Silverado..Sierra..and Ram 1500. Colrado..Canyon..and even Ridgline have even higher GDP than Toyota.
    (blank signature)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (01-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Taco in California and more recently in TX.

And the Tundra is now built exclusively in TX at Toyota's new 3 billion dollar plant there.

And yes, the tundra also uses more American content than most other vehicles built here.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-14-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    In your opinion, what's the difference between built and bolted together?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Probably something along the lines of "Made in the USA" versus "Made in the USA (with imported components)"?

On all Monroney stickers there is a breakdown of this sort of stuff. 'US Parts Content %', 'Final Assembly Point', etc.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-14-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hea referring to the early 80s when manufactures brought trucks over with just the bed removed and attached the bed in this country. Those trucks just found a loop hole to get in without paying the chicken tax. But they had J vin numbers i.e. built in Japan. They were also the trucks toyota built their reputation on as nothing built in this country was even close to as good.

The Tundra is made pretty much exclusively for this country. They are not even sold in Japan. Toyota built the massive San Antonio plant for the Tundra. It has more american content than the GM trucks and Ram.

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a 2007 Yaris. I got it brand new in 2007 and paid $13,500 for it with all the options minus an automatic transmission. It's probably been the best car I've ever owned.

The Yaris, however, has gotten to be expensive and I cannot buy one with a 5MT and five doors, so I stopped shopping it. If I could've gotten a Yaris SE up here with a 5MT, I might have opted for one years ago, but I couldn't, so I didn't.

Again, mine has been a fantastic car that's a hoot to drive with a very willing chassis, a once semi-abundant aftermarket, and excellent reliability.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    I have a 2007 Yaris. I got it brand new in 2007 and paid $13,500 for it with all the options minus an automatic transmission. It's probably been the best car I've ever owned.

The Yaris, however, has gotten to be expensive and I cannot buy one with a 5MT and five doors, so I stopped shopping it. If I could've gotten a Yaris SE up here with a 5MT, I might have opted for one years ago, but I couldn't, so I didn't.

Again, mine has been a fantastic car that's a hoot to drive with a very willing chassis, a once semi-abundant aftermarket, and excellent reliability.
    Key word is "has". I would agree that the previous two Toyotas that I owned have been very reliable. Worst two issues were a check-engine-light that lead to a (factory-extended) warranty-covered soot-cleaning, and the serpentine belt snapping (which was more of an annoyance than anything).

At this point, though, Toyota has a lineup of expensive, ugly, and generally outdated vehicles. Reliable, sure, but they seem to have more of a brand-tax than they used to.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post

I like my 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (manual), because I paid $9299 for it brand new.

In my mind, the Mirage reminds me of the 2000-2005 Toyota Echo. Car critics were not crazy about the Echo, but owners absolutely loved those cars. They were affordable, reliable, and super economical. Sound familiar?

For years, I considered picking up a used Echo. I am drawn by the simplicity of some cars. Not being a fan of sedans, it never happened.

I see no reason to knock the Yaris. I wouldn't pay a lot of money for one, but I also wouldn't be terribly unhappy owning one either. Once I decided that I wanted an small economy car, I considered a used Yaris. The lack of manual transmission 4-door hatchbacks sort of got me looking at the Mirage, too. Happy Mirage owner's reviews reminded me of the Toyota Echo owner reviews of a few years ago.
    Last edited by Mark; 11-15-2018 at 09:25 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (01-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I like my 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (manual), because I paid $9299 for it brand new.

In my mind, the Mirage reminds me of the 2000-2005 Toyota Echo. Car critics were not crazy about the Echo, but owners absolutely loved those cars. They were affordable, reliable, and super economical. Sound familiar?

For years, I considered picking up a used Echo. I am drawn by the simplicity of some cars. Not being a fan of sedans, it never happened.

I see no reason to knock the Yaris. I wouldn't pay a lot of money for one, but I also wouldn't be terribly unhappy owning one either. Once I decided that I wanted an small economy car, I considered a used Yaris. The lack of manual transmission 4-door hatchbacks sort of got me looking at the Mirage, too. Happy Mirage owner's reviews reminded of the Toyota Echo owner reviews of a few years ago.
    Funny you should mention the Echo. After buying my 2015 and driving it for a couple of years one my coworkers bought a G4. She had previously owned a Echo in the past and asked me a lot of questions about my 2015 hatchback and I let her drive it for a day. She said the Mirage reminded her of her Echo and was really excited to buy a Mirage. She’s not on the forum but her name for her car is B.B. “Basic B*tch” which she also stated:. “Just like me”. She loves the simplicity, excellent mileage and low price she paid for it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (11-15-2018)