Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Yaris hatchback deathwatch is on. UPDATE: dead. UPDATE: it's baaaaack!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, the Echo is technically the first generation Yaris. 06-11 was 2nd, and 12-18 was the third.

-Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Yes, the Echo is technically the first generation Yaris. 06-11 was 2nd, and 12-18 was the third.
    The Echo may technically be considered a first generation Yaris, but it was still a definite change in the two cars. Most people don't consider them the same model. It's not like a 1st & 2nd generation KIA Soul, or VW beetle. When you look sales figures, you have to search for different models.

Toyota didn't become the automotive giant they are by accident. Creating a new model creates attention by car critics and consumers.

Toyota was selling 80,000 to 100,000 Tercel during the mid-1980's to mid-1990's. It peaked @ 104,655 cars sold in 1988. After 1995, those numbers dropped significantly. By 1997, they sold 31,489 & in 1998 it was 1,743. They were definitely phasing this car out of the market.

Thus, Toyota introduces the 2000 Echo in late 1999. Even though car critics totally bashed this car, they sold 48,876 of them in 2000. By 2005, that number quickly dropped to 1,544. They even list 27 Echo cars were sold in 2006 & 7 were sold in 2007. The Echo was going nowhere.

Thus, the Yaris was introduced 2006. Sales numbers jumped back to 70,308 the first year. That quite a difference from less than 1,600 Echo vehicles being sold the year before. The Yaris peaked at 102,328 sales in 2008. By 2017, sales had dropped to 8,653. Only 1,940 Yaris vehicles were sold in 2018. Once again, this model is being phased out. It has ran its course.

Toyota will come out with something new, and their sales numbers will jump back up again. Small cars also have to compete with the Corolla & Civic. Those two models have stood the test of time. The Civic comes in many variations. Toyota is doing that with the Corolla. Even the Geo/Chevy Prizm vehicles were pretty good cars in their day. I'm sure the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe took a dent in Yaris sales, too. So have their own hybrids like the Prius C.

The death of the Yaris is not surprising to me. Something else will take its place eventually.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It was only called the Echo in these parts. The rest of the world it was the Yaris or the Vitz (hatchback) or Belta (sedan) in Japan. Up in Canada they actually got the hatchback version we didn't get in the states for the 1st generation and they also got the 2nd gen in 2006 which is a year before the US did.

I've owned all three generations of the Yaris and loved all of them. One of the reasons I gave the Mirage a shot is that it reminded me a lot of the 1st Gen. Simple hard plastic no frills (hopefully) durable transportation. My dad still drives my 2002 Echo sedan. Original drivetrain and hasn't needed almost any work ever with close to 250,000 miles on it now.
    -Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    It was only called the Echo in these parts. The rest of the world it was the Yaris or the Vitz (hatchback) or Belta (sedan) in Japan. Up in Canada they actually got the hatchback version we didn't get in the states for the 1st generation and they also got the 2nd gen in 2006 which is a year before the US did.

I've owned all three generations of the Yaris and loved all of them. One of the reasons I gave the Mirage a shot is that it reminded me a lot of the 1st Gen. Simple hard plastic no frills (hopefully) durable transportation. My dad still drives my 2002 Echo sedan. Original drivetrain and hasn't needed almost any work ever with close to 250,000 miles on it now.
    For a number of reasons, I went a number of years (2004-17) without owning a small economy car. In the middle of that time, I had considered buying a used Echo a number of different times. I just couldn't convince myself to buy a sedan, but I was drawn to how basic it was. Most owners love these cars. Super dependable cheap transportation!

When I got more serious about buying another economy car, I set my limit at $10,000. Buying a brand new Mirage for under $10,000 sort of pulled me away from at looking at used stuff.

I realize the Echo may be considered a first generation Yaris, but they really weren't presented that way by Toyota in the U.S. Even in places like Australia, the Yaris was presented as a new model to replace the Echo.

https://www.goauto.com.au/new-models...0-17/3551.html

Regardless of how we all look at them (Echo/Yaris), they are good basic transportation. Somewhat hated by the car critic snobs, but loved by most owners. The same story applies to the Mirage.

Toyota will come up with something to replace the Yaris eventually. They tend to phase out a vehicle before bringing in a new one in. It's a smart move on their part. Otherwise, new car inventory sits in their dealer's lots.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-26-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The Prius C is reportedly also on the chopping block. Only 8400 were sold through October of last year.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Carfreak09 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-29-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yaris hatchback may be reborn from the Mazda 2 hatchback.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...48887611884767
    (blank signature)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-29-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Yaris hatchback may be reborn from the Mazda 2 hatchback.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...48887611884767
    I logged in to share the same story. It's like I said earlier, Toyota has something else on the horizon. Thus, the death of the Yaris hatchback.

Unlike companies like GM & Ford, that cut small cars because making trucks, CUV, & SUV vehicles are more profitable for them. We aren't led to believe Ford is designing a better small car for the future U.S. market. By the way - didn't the Mazda 2 hatchback have a Ford connection? Toyota is watching GM & Ford leave the small car market, & they are willing to press forward.

GM & Ford will have small cars sold elsewhere. Other countries paying 3 or 4 times more gas aren't going to jump on the large vehicle bandwagon that easily.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Its interesting how my tastes differ from those of mainstream society. I like small cars and econo-boxes in general and regardless if the price of gasoline rises or falls. I feel that the most efficient way to complete a task is by squandering the least amount of resources.

I would not use a gallon of water (4 L) to boil a single egg.

But I think the SUV drivers are the same kind of people that leave the sink faucet running the entire time while they brush their teeth. Or the ones that leave the refrigerator door wide open for 5 or more minutes while they stand there eating grapes and snacks
    Last edited by fc321; 01-30-2019 at 03:11 AM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-30-2019),inuvik (01-30-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'd welcome a Mazda 2 derived hatchback. The sedan is useless to me but I'd be interested in the hatch. It's already proven to be a fun to drive fuel efficient platform.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Toyota seems to be outsourcing everything. Supra is a BMW, FRS is actually mostly outsourced to Subaru exactly why it has a Boxer engine, and the Yaris?

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire