Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Yaris hatchback deathwatch is on. UPDATE: dead. UPDATE: it's baaaaack!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I saw the article about this on TTAC and came right over to this thread....but I'm too late lol.
    No manual? And it's not really a Toyota. But I agree, it's nice to see it still offers a regular automatic. Those may be gone along with the manual in general it seems.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    When we bought our 2006 Scion XA (brand new but still on the dealer lot a year after it was made) we had also been looking at other small cars, including the Yaris. But at the time, there were NO 4-door hatchback Yarises in the USA. Articles I read, said that the 4-door hatchback Scion XAs were being sold as Yarises in some other countries. Interestingly, they soon bumped up the engine size on Yarises, so the 2006 Scion XA got better gas mileage than those Yarises. We mostly got around the predicted 38mpg, or a little higher, but I got up to 44 mpg on some segments of a long highway trip.
    Yeah, the Yaris 4-door hatchback wasn't sold in the U.S. until 2009, for some reason.

The original xA and xB were both based on the Yaris, with the same 1NZ-FE motor that's changed very little since the late 90's. The real (Toyota-made) Yaris always used that same 1.5L motor, right up to the end. The Prius also used a slightly modified version of the same motor until 2009. It's one of the most reliable motors ever made.

You may be thinking of the xB, which in 2008, suddenly gained 600 pounds and received a Camry motor and lousy fuel economy to match.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    Yeah, the Yaris 4-door hatchback wasn't sold in the U.S. until 2009, for some reason.

The original xA and xB were both based on the Yaris, with the same 1NZ-FE motor that's changed very little since the late 90's. The real (Toyota-made) Yaris always used that same 1.5L motor, right up to the end. The Prius also used a slightly modified version of the same motor until 2009. It's one of the most reliable motors ever made.

You may be thinking of the xB, which in 2008, suddenly gained 600 pounds and received a Camry motor and lousy fuel economy to match.
    2018 Toyota Yaris hatchback motor - 1.5-Liter 4-Cylinder DOHC 16-Valve Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i); 106 hp @ 6000 rpm; 103 lb.-ft. @ 4200 rpm

Since they are probably using the same powertrain as the 2019 Toyota Yaris sedan, you can probably assume the 2020 Yaris hatchback will be a - 1.5 Liter 4-Cylinder DOHC 16-Valve with Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i); 106 hp @ 6000 rpm; 103 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm

Not much of a difference when you compare numbers. Newer powertrain is more fuel efficient, but that is probably due to transmission. 4 speed automatic/5 speed manual vs. 6 speed automatic. Wish the hatchback came with the 6 speed manual offered in the sedan.

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with a 1.5 liter engine (106 hp) in a small car like this. I only buy manuals, however. If they aren't starting out with a manual, I highly doubt one will appear later on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fun fact, the 1NZ-FE engine (with different pistons and cams) that was used in the... well... the 01-09 Prius was also used in the 2012-current Prius C! I love the 1NZ-FE engine... it's like the perfect bulletproof small car engine. The fact it lasted from I think 1997 with the first Prius that came out in Japan and is still being made 22 years later shows how good of an engine it really is.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    2018 Toyota Yaris hatchback motor - 1.5-Liter 4-Cylinder DOHC 16-Valve Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i); 106 hp @ 6000 rpm; 103 lb.-ft. @ 4200 rpm

Since they are probably using the same powertrain as the 2019 Toyota Yaris sedan, you can probably assume the 2020 Yaris hatchback will be a - 1.5 Liter 4-Cylinder DOHC 16-Valve with Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i); 106 hp @ 6000 rpm; 103 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm

Not much of a difference when you compare numbers. Newer powertrain is more fuel efficient, but that is probably due to transmission. 4 speed automatic/5 speed manual vs. 6 speed automatic. Wish the hatchback came with the 6 speed manual offered in the sedan.

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with a 1.5 liter engine (106 hp) in a small car like this. I only buy manuals, however. If they aren't starting out with a manual, I highly doubt one will appear later on.
    Specs are similar, but this is a completely different motor, the Mazda SkyActiv-G, which first appeared in 2014. The new Mazda scores a little better on the EPA tests, but real-world (Fuelly) numbers are about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Fun fact, the 1NZ-FE engine (with different pistons and cams) that was used in the... well... the 01-09 Prius was also used in the 2012-current Prius C! I love the 1NZ-FE engine... it's like the perfect bulletproof small car engine. The fact it lasted from I think 1997 with the first Prius that came out in Japan and is still being made 22 years later shows how good of an engine it really is.
    Yeah, and it really made automotive journalists grind their teeth when they saw the same engine, year after year, for two decades. And a 4-speed automatic transmission, they didn't like that at all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A Toyota mechanic from a different dealer from the one where we got our '06 Scion told me that if he got a Yaris or Scion XA, he'd put the Toyota full-synthetic 0W20 oil in it. That's what we did. I'm pretty sure he told me that the motor was almost exactly the same as the gas motor in the Prius. We never had any sort of engine issues by going lower viscosity than the recommended 5W30.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh no! It's a bulletproof drivetrain in an economy car! Hate it as much as possible! Sounds just like the journalists when they talk about the Mirage as well. Dumbass journalists. Useless.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Pryme (04-03-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Oh no! It's a bulletproof drivetrain in an economy car! Hate it as much as possible! Sounds just like the journalists when they talk about the Mirage as well. Dumbass journalists. Useless.
    It's funny how far apart their priorities are from the people here (the kind of people who like economy so much, they're signed up to a forum to talk about it. Maybe several. ) The auto journalists like 0-60 times, skidpad numbers, # of gadgets, anything that's easy to measure on a new car. Things like reliability, serviceability, and economy actually seem to count against the car.

Motor Trend:
    Despite the more aggressive exterior styling, the 2015 Yaris doesn’t drive well due to its antiquated powertrain, unimpressive technology, and low-rent interior. The car remains a driving appliance that sacrifices refinement, driving dynamics, and gadgets in the name of reliability, causing it to fall behind in the subcompact segment.

Rating: 1/5
    Car & Driver:
    The powertrain, unfortunately, hasn’t changed. It’s still the loud, unpleasant 1.5-liter four-cylinder, a personality-free lump hell-bent on delivering efficiency at the expense of forward thrust. The SE model’s five-speed manual feels better in action than that of the L—those are the only two models in which it's available—as it actually lets you know that you’ve slipped the lever into a gate. This is important to know, since you want to be in the absolute right gear to wring any performance out of the 1.5. We will refrain from bagging too hard on the sluggish four-speed (!) automatic, because, well, the fact that such an outgunned, ancient gearbox is still being installed in new cars in 2015 doesn't warrant much additional comment.
    Even Consumer Reports hated it (and they hate the Mirage twice as much), but their review is behind a paywall.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    A Toyota mechanic from a different dealer from the one where we got our '06 Scion told me that if he got a Yaris or Scion XA, he'd put the Toyota full-synthetic 0W20 oil in it. That's what we did. I'm pretty sure he told me that the motor was almost exactly the same as the gas motor in the Prius. We never had any sort of engine issues by going lower viscosity than the recommended 5W30.
    All the cars are going to 0w-20 nowadays. It helps fuel economy a little. My boss just bought a new Tundra with the honkin' 5.7L V8. Oil type? 0w-20. For fuel economy, you know.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    It's funny how far apart their priorities are from the people here (the kind of people who like economy so much, they're signed up to a forum to talk about it. Maybe several. ) The auto journalists like 0-60 times, skidpad numbers, # of gadgets, anything that's easy to measure on a new car. Things like reliability, serviceability, and economy actually seem to count against the car.
    Now, granted, most of the buying public is stupid and cares about fancy junk. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore my new Corolla hatchback which is generally praised by various review teams (except, of course, apparently it needs more power because of course it does) but I also love simple basic transportation units. It's too bad the press... or hell... even the manufacturers themselves seem to care about that stuff at all. I'll take it to my grave saying the actual Toyota built Yaris was the best little car ever made and it makes me really sad that it's gone. Sad enough I jumped ship and bought a Mitsubishi, apparently haha. But hell, what's left out there besides the Mirage for a simple little hatchback?