Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Yaris hatchback deathwatch is on. UPDATE: dead. UPDATE: it's baaaaack!!

Toyota Yaris hatchback deathwatch is on. UPDATE: dead. UPDATE: it's baaaaack!!

Name:  1Toyota_Yaris-US-car-sales-statistics.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  29.8 KB

Toyota has let it be known that it's planning to cut less popular vehicles from its North American line-up.

That means the Yaris deathwatch is on:

UPDATE: Toyota confirms the cars discontinuation in the U.S. See post #33.

The Corolla, Camry and Avalon are all safe, as they’ve seen steady increases in sales year after year.

The Yaris Hatch, however, will probably be dropped, as sales of the subcompact have dropped almost 80 percent since the start of 2018.
    Source: https://driving.ca/toyota/auto-news/...anadian-lineup

A lot of cars have been chopped from the U.S./Canada market in the past few years as buyers flock to CUV's/crossovers. The carnage ain't over yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good news for the Mirage
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yet they will continue to have a whole lot more aftermarket parts options than us.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (02-15-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm somehow disappointed that they might be cutting it. Less choice for small cars and abundant generic sedans make Toyota boring to me.

Their trucks are also overpriced although decent quality.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yaris starts around $15k for a manual. Too expensive. Not sure if lower priced subcompacts are going anywhere because lower income people (or people trying to save a couple bucks) don't just disappear.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-08-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    What message is sent when Asian manufacturers abandon the subcompact car market? Seems to me they created that market segment here in North America. Well, them and European manufacturers.

Subcompacts sell everywhere else, I suppose. Who is to blame?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I actually shopped the Yaris before the Mirage because a coworker had one. Ironically, that same coworker sold the Yaris and bought a Mirage.

What put me off of it? The fact that I could only get the manual on the $16,000 3-door stripper model or the $20,000 5-door sports model. All I wanted was a red, 3-door, five-speed LE model with fog lights and alloy wheels.

Toyota wouldn't sell me one. I couldn't even buy a RED one in base trim! That, and it was expensive. Including destination it was nearly $17,000 in base trim with a 5-speed, though I am sure a minor deal could be had on this not-too-popular model at a dealership somewhere. Can't get the manual on the Yaris hatch at all now.

The Yaris hatch has pretty much been made superfluous in Toyota's lineup by the Prius C anyway. The base hatch models...starting at $16,385 in 2018...don't show up for 2019 on their website right now. All they are showing for '19 is the iA sedan.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The Toyota dealer wanted $17,650 for the Scion xD during the last year of production. I wasn't about to pay nearly $18k for a slug. The mentality of "Toyotas and Hondas don't break down and last forever" is really jacking up the prices. They do have problems.

My brother's 2007 Civic had a loose bolt and the water pump was digging into the engine block. My Corolla 2011 had electrical issues and it was because of paint under the ground. Some guy had the same issue and spent $1,000 at the dealer trying to fix the issue until he figured it out himself. I'm not even going to bother talking about the Tacoma rust issues.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    The Toyota dealer wanted $17,650 for the Scion xD during the last year of production. I wasn't about to pay nearly $18k for a slug. The mentality of "Toyotas and Hondas don't break down and last forever" is really jacking up the prices. They do have problems.

My brother's 2007 Civic had a loose bolt and the water pump was digging into the engine block. My Corolla 2011 had electrical issues and it was because of paint under the ground. Some guy had the same issue and spent $1,000 at the dealer trying to fix the issue until he figured it out himself. I'm not even going to bother talking about the Tacoma rust issues.
    Very true. They want $18,000 for a cheap subcompact hatchback with a last-gen Camry drivetrain just because it's a Toyota?? No thanks. Toyota and Honda offer so-short-we-can-barely-get-away-with-it warranties because they know their vehicles will sell anyway. But neither company is "making them like they used to". They have been floating on their reputations for a long time. People have told me that the mighty Tacoma has a very un-Toyota-like number of problems in recent model years, rust notwithstanding.

I read somewhere that, in terms of overall reliability ratings by manufacturer, Honda is only in the middle of the pack now. Average.

Toyota and the Koreans lead the way. Apparently, Audi has stepped their game up as well. Wish some of that would trickle down to VW! They make ungodly sh!tboxes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Even if the Yaris was the greatest car ever built, I could never get past that funky dash layout and lack of instrumentation (no tach in a manual transmission car?!?). I don't know if they still look like this...

Name:  dash.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  42.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Wayne (11-23-2018)