Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Yaris hatchback deathwatch is on. UPDATE: dead. UPDATE: it's baaaaack!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    US car companies have done rebadging for many years.

I'd say it's how we got our forum today.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, but Mazda? Ick.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

I don't know about its long-term reliability (and whether the body will be swiss cheese from rust in 6-8 years, as so many Mazdas are around here)....

But the reviews of the sedan have been very good. Engaging driving dynamics, quite good fuel economy (of course not quite on par with a Mirage).

I'd consider a manual transmission Mazda 2 hatch (one of these decades) if they turn out to be reliable.

(But not before I own a Mirage. Goes without saying.)
    Last edited by MetroMPG; 01-30-2019 at 11:00 PM. Reason: (Added the obvious)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The rust is definitely a big issue. I've also heard from techs at the local Toyota dealer that the car is riddled with quality control issues especially the automatic ones having bad transmissions. I can't verify that so take it as you will but I'd tend to believe them since they see what comes in for warranty work more than any other shop would.

But recently-ish I test drove one of the Mazduh Yaris sedans with a 6 speed manual. I also owned several Yaris hatchbacks at this time both 5 speed manual and 4 speed auto. The engine just seemed to have no get up and go whatsoever. Even less so than the Mirage's 3 cylinder which is definitely not fast at all. The transmission itself seemed okay but not geared too well for the low output of the engine. It didn't make sense to me because on paper it's the same size with almost the same power ratings as the engine in the Toyota built hatchback. Also, the rear seat room on the Mazda car was pretty much non existent. The Yaris hatch rear seat had lots more legroom, heck even more I believe than my Corolla hatchback does. Plus, this is a personal preference, but I didn't like the Mazda radio display thing with a weird knob in the center. Lexus, BMW, and other companies do stupid crap like that as well so it's not just Mazda but it's just not intuitive to me.

All in all, I guess it had to be bad enough for me not to consider it and buy the Mirage instead, right? Especially when I own pretty much nothing but Toyota products save for the one old Chrysler LeBaron for nostalgic purposes.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Personally, I'm glad to hear the Yaris Liftback is going to be a Mazda2. I personally enjoyed the iA, but didn't much like the sedan styling.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I was more impressed when Toyota was making cars for Pontiac (Vibe) & Chevy/Geo (Prizm). Other companies making cars for Toyota doesn't excite me that much.

I just hope someone is making a nice affordable, reliable, economical 4-door hatchback with manual transmission 10+ years from now, because I really like my cheap little Mirage for now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

El Kapitan (02-06-2019)

best retained value

Ironically, the Yaris was just named the subcompact car with the highest retained value.

https://canadianblackbook.com/awards...ub-compact-car

It's Canadian data, so it may not directly apply to the U.S., but the Yaris has been in the top 3 more often than not in the last 4 years of the study.

Note: the study looks at highest retained value of 4 year-old models. The Mirage never appears in the top 3. It's always the same bunch: Yaris, Prius C, Honda Fit, Kia Soul.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    The Yaris was pretty outdated platform-wise, so I don't see this as a big surprise.
    You could say that about most of Toyota's lineup, and it's a big part of why they're so reliable. Other manufacturers eagerly jump on board with the hottest new technology. In the early 2010's, lots of small cars suddenly got turbocharged motors and dual-clutch automatic transmissions, and reliability took a nosedive. Toyota soldiered on with 4-speed slushboxes and pretty much the same motors they've used for decades. The Yaris engine is a gently revised version of the Tercel's from the last century. It still uses a 4-speed automatic in the age of 10-speeds. Consequently, the most reliable small cars of the past decade or so are mostly the Yaris and versions of the Yaris (Echo, Scion xA, Scion xD, etc.). Toyota finds something that works and runs it until the wheels fall off... much like the people who buy them.

The problem with the Yaris is the problem of small cars in general in the U.S.: they're not that much cheaper to make than bigger cars, and Bigger is Always Better. If someone has to choose between a small car and a bigger car for a similar price, they'll take the bigger car, or even better, the bigger Truck. The Yaris wants to be a nice car in a place where "nice" and "small" are mutually exclusive.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    You could say that about most of Toyota's lineup, and it's a big part of why they're so reliable. Other manufacturers eagerly jump on board with the hottest new technology. In the early 2010's, lots of small cars suddenly got turbocharged motors and dual-clutch automatic transmissions, and reliability took a nosedive. Toyota soldiered on with 4-speed slushboxes and pretty much the same motors they've used for decades. The Yaris engine is a gently revised version of the Tercel's from the last century. It still uses a 4-speed automatic in the age of 10-speeds. Consequently, the most reliable small cars of the past decade or so are mostly the Yaris and versions of the Yaris (Echo, Scion xA, Scion xD, etc.). Toyota finds something that works and runs it until the wheels fall off... much like the people who buy them.

The problem with the Yaris is the problem of small cars in general in the U.S.: they're not that much cheaper to make than bigger cars, and Bigger is Always Better. If someone has to choose between a small car and a bigger car for a similar price, they'll take the bigger car, or even better, the bigger Truck. The Yaris wants to be a nice car in a place where "nice" and "small" are mutually exclusive.
    Very well said, & true!

There is a lot of unproven technology on the market right now. I am not convinced that these newer unproven transmissions will last the life of the vehicle. I am just not impressed with many of today's vehicles.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Toyota's engines and transmissions might be bullet proof but the grounding in my 2011 was terrible. Yeah lets paint under the ground that connects to the body....

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire