Thread: Hello fellow mitsu people

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Hello fellow mitsu people

Hello, my name is chuck i bought my g4 last year as i needed something affordable to travel back and forth to school with. It is a 5 speed ES model, i have fitted new wheels and changed up the exhaust a bit since purchase of the vehicle. I am an automotive tech by trade ( C tech atm) I graduated college in april this year with an automotive science associates degree. I plan to go back sometime later on to learn about high performance,fabrication etc. i joined because i have many questions and things to discuss with fellow mirage owners. I am also a vw enthusiast ive had a few vw’s that i have enjoyed stripping down, doing suspension mods to, engine and transmission swaps etc. i like to go fast. Currently what is on my mind is does anyone know of a tuning interface compatible with our ecu? Im not really interested in an out of the box tune but something more along the lines of what the GM guys get with HP tuners. Also how strong are the axles on the 5 speed model? I do enjoy launching my car with all 75hp it offers and was considering getting a deal on some sticky tires through work to do so with but dont want to embark on such a journey if i will be constantly destroying CVs.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site Ilovevr6.

Some owners have been able to tune their ECU, but its not an easy thing to do... yet.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hello Ilovevr6 and welcome to the forum.

We have had reports of overseas owners who have reprogrammed their ECU, and we've had discussions of folks trying it here but I don't recall any success stories here stateside. It would generate a lot of excitement if someone figured out a way to do it, and you might be the one to find a way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Welcome aboard! I am a recovering water-cooled VW guy myself. Helped a buddy do a 2.0T swap into a cherry '84 GLI back in the day.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome guys! The 2.0t swap seems mighty technical cobra jet, with the DI and all. My current vw is a mk4 im about half way through seam welding the chassis but i think im gonna sell it off as a roller and find a nice mk2 to swap my 12v mk4 drive train into. The mk4 is just pig heavy and i want to set something up on megasquirt so the can-bus really isnt ideal on the mk4. Does anyone know our ecu model? Im figuring its some sort of bosch unit.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovevr6 View Post
    Does anyone know our ecu model? Im figuring its some sort of bosch unit.
    That's an interesting question. I know Mitsubishi has an Electronics business, and I'm pretty sure Mitsubishi makes the ETACS controller.

An image search for the Mirage ECU returned an Ebay listing whose label indicates it was made by Mitsubishi Electric.

However, it is my understanding that the MUT-III is a Bosch unit, so it's a possibility that the Mirage ECU is made by Bosch. Perhaps is it a re-branded Bosch unit?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I appreciate the replys about the tuning discussion guys, im going to start a new thread in the engine forum hopefully to get more replys if you all would like to continue the discussion.

Welcome to the forum, Chuck!

Don't forget to make a garage entry:

Darin

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)