Thread: A question for members with Right Hand Drive Space Star or Mirage cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

A question for members with Right Hand Drive Space Star or Mirage cars.

Hello all,

I'm curious, is the larger section of the rear fold down seat directly behind the right (Drivers) seat or the left (Passenger) seat.

I had recently transported and returned my Quick Jack BL-5000SLX to Costco. (I upgraded to the BL-7000SLX for $300 more at Home Depot). I was able to fit the two larger boxes on the right (Passenger) side by folding down the back seat and removing the headrest. Then I moved the passenger seat forward all the way and reclined the seat backward against the rear seat. I then placed the smaller box in the cargo area. I was able to also fit a passenger in the other rear seat on the left. Everything fit and I was still able to close the hatch.

I was disappointed to find that on my Left Hand Drive Mirage, the larger of the two fold-down rear seat sections is located on the left (Drivers) side of the car. On the right (Passengers) side is the smaller fold-down section. It doesn't seem like a smart way to split up the rear seat, in my opinion. I would prefer the larger section to be located behind the right (Passenger) seat.

I happened to think that maybe the folding rear seat is designed exactly the same for the Right Hand Drive cars. In that case, it would make sense that the larger section would be directly behind the left (Passenger) seat. Please let me know if my assumption is correct. Thank you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I looked up some pictures from a Sydney dealership. The rear seat is the same.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    I looked up some pictures from a Sydney dealership. The rear seat is the same.

Thank you! Now it makes sense. I guess to minimize the cost of the Mirage, they only designed the rear seat in one configuration with the larger section on the left for the Right Hand Drive cars. It allows those owners to have more carrying capacity in the left side while having a passenger seated on the right side of the rear seat. I wish they had made it the other way around for all of us Left Hand drivers.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I never really though about which side the split was on before. It does seem to make more sense in general to have the larger opening on the passenger side.

I looked back at all the cars I've owned before to see which way the seats folded. One didn't have a folding seat, and one folded the entire back at once, but for the rest, the larger section was on the:

Chevy Cavalier: Right
    Chevy Cobalt: Left
    Chevy Monte Carlo: Right
    Chevy Cruze: Right
    Toyota Yaris: Left
    Mitsubishi Mirage: Left

So, 2 out of 3 of the US-designed cars, and the Korean-designed Cruze, had the larger opening on the right side, or passenger side in the same countries. Both Japanese-designed cars had the larger opening on the left, also the passenger side in that country. Only the Cobalt was designed with the larger opening on the driver's side. This is a pretty small data set, but so far, it looks like car designers mostly agree with you.