Thread: pulley squealing on first movement.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

pulley squealing on first movement.

ive been dealing with my aftermarket warranty company(fidelity) for about a year now(currently at 72k in a 2015 mirage de) it was squealing at 1200-2200 rpm under load only. 3 mechanics(Mitsubishi) and the first warranty inspector determined it was the ac compressor clutch. the warranty guy would not authorize repair until it blew hot.

forward about 8 months, no ac, constant squeal, the belt has no teeth. new warranty guy says its only the belt.
    you can see melted bits of teeth in the engine pulley.

it now squeals 2x as loud on first takeoff either forward or reverse, and ac on or off. it lasts about a minute until something catches.

anybody had similar issues so i can try to gather info for the dealer repair shop?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    You might want to check this thread...

AC Compressor Bearing Failure

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I also have an intermittent belt squeal. However, its not the belt. I changed my belt to a nice Continental Elite 406048. The noise didn't stop. So, I'm guessing it must be a bearing in something. I really haven't looked too much more into it.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I also have an intermittent belt squeal. However, its not the belt. I changed my belt to a nice Continental Elite 406048. The noise didn't stop. So, I'm guessing it must be a bearing in something. I really haven't looked too much more into it.
    thats the exact same belt i had put on. the teeth being ripped from the belt tells me it is NOT the belt slipping.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I have not noticed any damage to my old belt, or new belt.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That sounds like a bad AC compressor to me. If memory serves me correctly, my AC compressor went out around 190,000 miles. It started making all sorts of grinding noises, and then eventually it just quit cooling. I had up getting a junkyard AC compressor and it worked for a while but eventually it started squealing. And then of course after a while of using it with the squealing noise it stopped cooling the car as well. I called up the junkyard, and they were kind enough to swap it out for another one under warranty. I no longer have any strange noises and the car still blows cold air. I think that was about 35,000 miles ago when I changed it out.

It’s a shame you have to deal with the warranty company instead of doing it yourself. It’s not a very difficult job to do and you can even rent the tools you need from AutoZone. If it were my car I would change it out with the junkyard AC compressor and put a new belt on it if the belt has not recently been replaced.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    That sounds like a bad AC compressor to me. If memory serves me correctly, my AC compressor went out around 190,000 miles. It started making all sorts of grinding noises, and then eventually it just quit cooling. I had up getting a junkyard AC compressor and it worked for a while but eventually it started squealing. And then of course after a while of using it with the squealing noise it stopped cooling the car as well. I called up the junkyard, and they were kind enough to swap it out for another one under warranty. I no longer have any strange noises and the car still blows cold air. I think that was about 35,000 miles ago when I changed it out.

It’s a shame you have to deal with the warranty company instead of doing it yourself. It’s not a very difficult job to do and you can even rent the tools you need from AutoZone. If it were my car I would change it out with the junkyard AC compressor and put a new belt on it if the belt has not recently been replaced.
    i paid over $1k for the warranty. ill do my best to make them cover the repairs.

also between work and school, and home projects my free time is 0. lol