Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Battery Project

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess I should have prefaced this post with a lot of information for those who don't know or choose to forget.

This mod is not for everyone. It's for ME.

1) I autocross this car regularly. (at least twice per month, EVERY month, year-round) I've had to make some significant (yet fairly simple) modifications to make the car handle better. And I'm having an absolute blast making my 3-cylinder econobox go around courses faster than much "better" cars that cost 2, 3, 4... and 10x as much and have way more power and acceleration. I've been doing this long enough to know that "it's more the driver than it is the car", but it's still fun to see people sneer at the Mirage... and then the look on their face when they can't touch it!
    2) I like lightweight cars, but I can't justify spending $40,000 on a Lotus. And that's why I bought a 2000 pound car for $6800. That car just happens to be a Mirage because it's the lightest "new" car on the market these days. And I seek inexpensive gains in power and reductions in weight where I can.
    3) I live in Florida. We don't need huge batteries for reliable winter starting. The reason the Mirage has such a large battery is just that. They want all-weather reliability for all buyers.
    4) I DO daily drive this car... and my wife rides in it with me a lot. So it needs to reliably start (thus I'm not removing the battery entirely). It also needs to be relatively quiet, free of rattles and squeaks, have a full interior, and functional air conditioning. Were it not for all of that, I'd still be driving a 1976 Triumph Spitfire... which would be none of those things!
    5) I have AAA towing coverage if I need it!

I'm not suggesting that ANYONE do this particular mod, or any other mod that I've done. If you happen to share the same goals as I do, then you might be interested in them. Most people don't autocross a Mirage. It's an economy car, and that's what most people buy them for. I understand that. You need to understand if you're reading my posts that I am not the typical economy car owner.

To be clear, I'm not just doing this stuff "because". I'm doing it specifically to make the car perform better on an autocross course. Weight is king. In the world of motorsports, reducing the weight improves everything about a car.

Lithium Batteries - They are INCREDIBLE technology. I could have gotten my battery weight from 6 pounds down to about 1.8. And instead of $32, it would have cost right about $100 or more. So, the last 4 pounds would have cost me $70. Not quite worth it. Especially when you consider how fickle and unforgiving Lithium batteries are. I ran a 2-pound Ballistic battery in a Miata for a while. It worked GREAT! The amount of amps that little battery put out was amazing! And then I left the lights on once and drained it below its critical threshold of 9.5 volts. It would no longer fully charge or hold a charge. It was done. No thanks. That's why I went AGM this time... though I did do the research and consider it for way too long... it's just so darned COOL! But, the $32 motorcycle battery makes a lot more sense.

Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-09-2018),Fummins (05-03-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That's a great swap, Loren. My search of the ETZ10S motorcycle battery doesn't show the top posts. Is that an adapter on top of the battery that converts the nut and bolt tabs to circular posts, or did it come with the battery?
    Odyssey SAE Terminals

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    When I saw the large battery in this car I was actually impressed.
    Most new autos come with barely adequate batteries these days, even trucks. The large capacity increases reliability of the vehicle overall.
    Yep, colder temperatures require more battery capacity.

I always find it interesting when someone judges this car being designed for warm climates only.
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-09-2018 at 03:43 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Seriously, why not go a little further and save the remaining 8.27 lbs (yes, check your math)
    Not that I'm not capable of making a .1 pound error, or that I would care if I did, but my math is fine this time. I even used a calculator to check it. Note the +0.1 for the lug terminal adapters.

I'm just an old Canadian who replaces his dead/worn out batteries with better ones because I hate walking when I paid for a car.
    And I'm an old racer who likes to make slow cars fast.

Another quote attributed to Colin Chapman: "Keep removing material until something breaks, then put some back" or something like that. That's where I'm at with this battery. I've done my homework, and some prior experimentation. I believe that this battery should be adequate for my needs. But, if it proves to be problematic, I'll get one that's slightly larger. I'm okay with that. And if I have to replace it annually... at $32, I'm okay with that. You don't have to be.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-09-2018)

But what are you gonna do when the temps get below 0 and you gotta boost your buddy's skidoo? Oh yea, Florida..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (11-09-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You should do the alternator delete mod as well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Not a bad idea for a short autocross run.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Wonder how much draw the powersteering pulls?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    If you just installed a flux capacitor you wouldn't have any need for a alternator . The 1.21 jigawatts of available power should be more than enough

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-10-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Can you just unbolt it and swap belts? Fully reversible, right? I imagine that would have noticeable gains in accel, etc.

Loren: What other weight reduction have you done? Have you considered a fiberglass hood? That piece has gotta be the heaviest single chunk on the car.

How about rims? Rotational mass and all that...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)