Thread: Lightweight Battery Project

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Lightweight Battery Project

I really don't know where this fits in the available subforms. Feel free to move it.

Yesterday's's project. I swear sometimes I'm the worlds slowest fabricator. I spent over 4 hours on this. Modified the battery tray to fit the ETZ10S motorcycle battery.

Here's the final fit-check before paint:

And this is how the stock positive battery cable fits. The terminals are supposed to be on the back side of the battery, but the battery is so much smaller that they'll fit even on the front. :thumbwink:

All I did was weld a rail on the right side (left in the photo) of the battery tray, and another on the back side. Then I made a corner bracket that bolts in. This will allow some flexibility should the next replacement battery not be exactly the same size.

If you look in the first photo, you'll see a notch cut in the center of the tray right next to a bolted on bracket. That's where the stock tie-down J-bolt hooks. There's one just like it on the back side. So, I used the one on the back. And then I drilled a hole for the one on the front. Had to make a pair of shorter J-bolts.

And then the top plate I made from a piece of 1" square aluminum tubing that I cut in half.

It all buttons up super-snug, and looks nice. In theory, the battery will be enough to reliably start the car (in Florida). We shall see.

Oh, the important part. The reason for doing this. The weight!

OE Battery = 34#
    OE Battery shelf/tray/tie-down = 2.8#

New Battery = 6.11# (+.1 lug terminal adapters)
    Modified battery shelf/tie-down = 2.16#

Total battery weight reduction: 36.8 - 8.37 = 28.43 pounds!
    Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

2of9 (11-09-2018),Daox (11-09-2018),Top_Fuel (11-09-2018)