Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Battery Project

I just wanted to argue. It should work fine. Loren is proving that. -40c/-40f maybe not so good.
    I watched a video where someone tapped a bunch of capacitors together and used it in some old 4cyl car. It actually started it and lasted a little while I believe.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I watched a video where someone tapped a bunch of capacitors together and used it in some old 4cyl car. It actually started it and lasted a little while I believe.
    They are not cheap. I installed supercaps in 2016 .. AH value increased; it alone can power up the headlights for a minute I think.. diminished capacitance value over time due to heat soak.

Name:  20F16V SuperCap (r).jpg
Views: 514
Size:  57.7 KB
    Name:  P_20161009_(up).jpg
Views: 537
Size:  98.8 KB

I'd stick with the idea of using Lithiums when price drops someday. Present Lithium battery design employs BMS (Battery Management System) w/c did not exist in the early Lithiums.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    A top of the line cruiser has all the same stuff.

Radio, heated grips, seat, ABS. Efi, air bag, traction control, skid control, usb/12v outlets etc. And engines around 1800cc. Think goldwing. Which has more cylinders too.
    Air conditioning? Radiator fan?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Air conditioning? Radiator fan?
    Radiator fan-yes. The battery only is necessary to start the vehicle. Alternator runs the load the rest of the time. Once you start it, you could remove the battery entirely. How big of battery does any vehicle need? Enough to start it period. If a motorcycle battery will start the Mirage then it’s big enough.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-15-2018),Loren (11-14-2018),poorman1 (11-15-2018),Pryme (11-15-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Radiator fan-yes. The battery only is necessary to start the vehicle. Alternator runs the load the rest of the time. Once you start it, you could remove the battery entirely. How big of battery does any vehicle need? Enough to start it period. If a motorcycle battery will start the Mirage then it’s big enough.
    Dont feed the troll.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-15-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    My first motorcycle was a 1977 Yamaha XS400 street bike. It didn't have a battery. If you couldn't kick start a cycle without tipping over, you didn't go anywhere with it. Not all that different than all the mini bikes we had as kids. No one messed with batteries. I miss simplicity sometimes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Exactly. You need enough battery to start the car. One of the benefits or a full size battery is you usually have enough power to start a vehicle when it starts to fail.

When winter comes a vehicle with a bad battery will usually hesitate to start a few times before it gives up the ghost. When my battery shows signs of aging, but still starts the car, I immediately drive to the nearest place with a battery tester and if the battery fails, it gets replaced on the spot.

With a tiny battery, you are less likely to get any warning before it completely fails since you don't have any extra capacity.

Another thing to consider when using a smaller battery is it is more likely to fail sooner unless you splurge and purchase a deep cycle battery. Car batteries are designed to be topped off after a start. A smaller battery has to be charged more to get it back to capacity than a full size battery. If it isn't deep cycle battery, it will fail sooner. Only deep cycle batteries are designed to be frequently drained and recharged.

Apologies for not reading every post on this thread if I happen to be repeating something already said. I'm usually busy driving instead of sitting behind a desk. It's even more difficult to follow this forum and make posts since we can't get Tapatalk on here.

The whole weigh things makes me laugh sometimes. I'm currently a fat ass. It is much more beneficial to drop 20 pounds of body weight than to take critical components from a car such as a sensibly sized battery or an alternator. I've dropped as much as 30 poindsnin just a few months and it's really not that difficult.

As an added bonus, you gain one inch for every 10 pounds of body weight you lose. It's an added benefit for everybody.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've lost 22 pounds since August, that's nice, too. But, I'm still going to play with my car. That's why I bought it. I like to tinker with slow cars and make them faster. And if *I* have lost 22 pounds, and the CAR has lost 28 pounds... that's 50 pounds, and that's a good thing.

If it makes any of you feel better, I was shopping for a set of compact jumper cables last night, and ordered a compact
    jump box instead. Not only will it start the car if necessary, but I can also charge my phone with it.

Lastly, for $32, I don't care if I have to replace this battery annually. And I'll do just that at the first hint of a sluggish start.

Meanwhile, I'm plotting more weight reduction.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I've lost 22 pounds since August, that's nice, too. But, I'm still going to play with my car. That's why I bought it. I like to tinker with slow cars and make them faster. And if *I* have lost 22 pounds, and the CAR has lost 28 pounds... that's 50 pounds, and that's a good thing.

If it makes any of you feel better, I was shopping for a set of compact jumper cables last night, and ordered a compact
    jump box instead. Not only will it start the car if necessary, but I can also charge my phone with it.

Lastly, for $32, I don't care if I have to replace this battery annually. And I'll do just that at the first hint of a sluggish start.

Meanwhile, I'm plotting more weight reduction.
    Nice. I’d love to get one of those jumper boxes someday.

I’ve gotta work on being less of an ass around here.

Lessons learned:

1. Light weight batteries aren’t for me but they work for some. I totally respect someone who has lost body weight in addition to car weight. That’s the real deal.

2. Alternators aren’t for everyone.

3. A 200 mile drive is a pretty big freaking deal if you don’t have a working alternator.

4. Gap your spark plugs!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-15-2018),Loren (11-15-2018)

Those batteries have came down in price! I had to buy one years ago and it was well over $100(cambodian) at the time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)