Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Battery Project

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Sometimes it's better than sliding on the ice Eggman, sometimes lol. After shoveling driveways for a long enough time, I was finally able to budget and pay for a snow plowing service. I know the guy pretty well so thankfully he will actually do the job.
    I still shovel, and I'm thankful for my health that I can still manage to do so.

The first snowfall is usually slushy & heavy. Not really looking forward to it...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-30-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I guess it's better than sliding around on the ice.
    I'd rather slide than rust...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    To put things into perspective north versus south drivers. When I lived in Michigan, boy they were Johnny on the stick with the plow trucks and salt. Seriously, the heaviest snow/ice I saw, in 1 day, every road was driveable.

Yet if my parents (this was ~20 years ago) would consider coming up during the winter time (from GA to MI), they would look at the weather forecast. If it looked like there was any chance of it snowing, they wouldn't dare coming up because they were deathly afraid they would get, "snowed in."

I tried to explain to them about how the roads are plowed and salted up north, and the most they'd be snowed in for was a day. But they would never listen to that, because down south in TN / GA, there's no such thing as plowing and salting. Just wait a day down south, most of the time it will melt away. Occasionally it will last a few days. But the winters are so very mild, there's no financial justification for any place to pay for snow plowing / salting equipment.

Atlanta had an icepocalypse back in maybe 2012 or so. It was bad timing when it happened and lasted 2 or 3 days. Everybody got all mad and gave the governor and mayor hell. So they bought some trucks and some kind of salty solution. I think they went out 1 darn time since then and sprayed a little solution around, but nothing came of the weather when they did. So that instance, and the purchase of said equipment was just a waste of time and money.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

I'm torn. I just try to wash my junk more often. Ice is fine to drive on unless you aren't expecting it.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    300cca is a far cry from the 120cca that Loren was using. Don't these things come stock with only 435cca? Smaller batteries might work fine where you can see grass all year long but not in the northern parts of the continent. At least not in the winter.
    I don't know if Canada gets a better battery than the States, but my manual states only 356 CCA for the stock battery. Pasted from a 2017 Mirage owner's manual - "55D23L (356CCA/99RC)".

Small engine with light oil doesn't take much to turn over.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-01-2020),Loren (12-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'd rather slide than rust...
    And I don't disagree with you - sliding around on the ice is much more fun.

So long as no one else is around to crash into.

It's like aggressive driving - it should only be done on a track.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You guys can stop talking about the weather any time. The topic here is lightweight battery.
    Simplify and add lightness.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-01-2020),MirageRally (12-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't know if Canada gets a better battery than the States, but my manual states only 356 CCA for the stock battery. Pasted from a 2017 Mirage owner's manual - "55D23L (356CCA/99RC)".

Small engine with light oil doesn't take much to turn over.
    I just looked up a battery on the acdelco site. I went off of their recommendations. Which likely are wrong.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just looked up a battery on the acdelco site. I went off of their recommendations. Which likely are wrong.
    I just posted the factory battery (356 CCA), which isn't much. A replacement can be whatever you want it to be.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antigravity...8AAOSwnUlakKO9

Perfect replacement. It can be mounted sideways too so if you did a customer air intake it could lay over the top of the battery area on the right hand side of the engine bay. Or the drivers side whichever you prefer to call it.