Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Battery Project

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Lightweight Battery Project

I really don't know where this fits in the available subforms. Feel free to move it.

Yesterday's's project. I swear sometimes I'm the worlds slowest fabricator. I spent over 4 hours on this. Modified the battery tray to fit the ETZ10S motorcycle battery.

Here's the final fit-check before paint:

And this is how the stock positive battery cable fits. The terminals are supposed to be on the back side of the battery, but the battery is so much smaller that they'll fit even on the front. :thumbwink:

All I did was weld a rail on the right side (left in the photo) of the battery tray, and another on the back side. Then I made a corner bracket that bolts in. This will allow some flexibility should the next replacement battery not be exactly the same size.

If you look in the first photo, you'll see a notch cut in the center of the tray right next to a bolted on bracket. That's where the stock tie-down J-bolt hooks. There's one just like it on the back side. So, I used the one on the back. And then I drilled a hole for the one on the front. Had to make a pair of shorter J-bolts.

And then the top plate I made from a piece of 1" square aluminum tubing that I cut in half.

It all buttons up super-snug, and looks nice. In theory, the battery will be enough to reliably start the car (in Florida). We shall see.

Oh, the important part. The reason for doing this. The weight!

OE Battery = 34#
    OE Battery shelf/tray/tie-down = 2.8#

New Battery = 6.11# (+.1 lug terminal adapters)
    Modified battery shelf/tie-down = 2.16#

Total battery weight reduction: 36.8 - 8.37 = 28.43 pounds!

Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

2of9 (11-09-2018),Daox (11-09-2018),Top_Fuel (11-09-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What is the CCA and reserve of that vs the stocker?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It has something like a 9 amp-hour capacity. 120 CCA.

If you want to know more than that, you'll have to go to the Googles.

It doesn't compare to the stock battery. I didn't want it to. I just want something that's as light as possible, inexpensive, and will start the car. People have used batteries like this one to start Miatas with 1.8 liter engines, I think it should work just as well for a 1.2 liter Mirage. If it doesn't, I'll deal with it.

Remember, I live in Florida. "Cold" is 40 degrees. It doesn't take much to start a car here.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    That's a great swap, Loren. My search of the ETZ10S motorcycle battery doesn't show the top posts. Is that an adapter on top of the battery that converts the nut and bolt tabs to circular posts, or did it come with the battery?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I think the Lithiums fit perfectly for this project.

But most brands carry a hefty price.

However, I have seen this cheap model rated at 300 CCA at Amazon

YTZ10S Z10S Lithium Ion Sealed Powersports Battery 12V 300 CCA - Maintenance Free, No Spills, Fully Charged and Activated, Ready to Use (MMG4)

2.1 lbs

Name:  41Nss9xtuEL.jpg
Views: 3072
Size:  30.9 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Great project Loren. I personally found it hilarious the first time I opened up the hood to see the Mirage's battery was about the size of the engine! I'm not sure why they insist on such a gigantic battery. My 2004 Civic battery is at least 1/2 as large and starts its 1.8L just fine in Wisconsin...

In any case, I've added this to our mods list.

Thanks for sharing another cool mod!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Great project Loren. I personally found it hilarious the first time I opened up the hood to see the Mirage's battery was about the size of the engine! I'm not sure why they insist on such a gigantic battery. My 2004 Civic battery is at least 1/2 as large and starts its 1.8L just fine in Wisconsin...

In any case, I've added this to our mods list.

Thanks for sharing another cool mod!
    Wouldn't the larger capacity translate into less alternator charging?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Nope. Think of it like this. A battery is like a bucket, how much water it holds is like its size. If you want to keep it full, it really doesn't matter how big it is. If you use 1 gallon a day, you have to replace 1 gallon a day. The alternator just has to be big enough to replace the water as fast as we use it. The size is not nearly as big of a deal, as long as the battery can start the car. That is the most taxing time for the battery ever. The size of the battery can also come in handy if you power your car up without turning the engine on. This emptys your bucket, with no alternator to fill it back up. If you have a tiny bucket, you can't power your car very long without emptying the bucket.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Car Nut (02-11-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    When I saw the large battery in this car I was actually impressed.
    Most new autos come with barely adequate batteries these days, even trucks. The large capacity increases reliability of the vehicle overall.
    With all the cost cutting measures built into this car I believe Mitsu engineers sidestepped the weight/cost saving here for a reason.
    They're smarter than me (likely you as well) in these matters and for the extra peace of mind I'll sidestep this mod or any other that reduces reliability. The same reason I don't throw out the spare tire and toss a plug kit under the hatch to save a couple pounds.

The battery does far more than just start the car.
    Seriously, why not go a little further and save the remaining 8.27 lbs (yes, check your math) and remove the battery completely along with the tray, cable ends etc. and just start the car with one of those pocket sized batteries that plug into the 12v socket? Right? Once started you can run solely off the alternator, even recharge your pocket battery for the next start.
    Just think of the savings...
    Don't get all offended. I'm just an old Canadian who replaces his dead/worn out batteries with better ones because I hate walking when I paid for a car.
    Last edited by IchabodCrane; 11-09-2018 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-23-2022),mohammad (01-09-2022),timw4mail (11-09-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing Loren. Always great to see your mods. Weight savings is weight savings. Definitely doable in your weather. Right now, it's only 15 degrees fahrenheit in my town (St. Paul, MN).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)