Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Spark Plugs for Fuel Economy?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I would be willing to give these a shot, BUT I can not find any place selling the LFR5AHX plug which is the one that fits our Mirage 3A92 engine. So, nobody is selling them quite yet, and we have no idea what the price is.
    I am looking forward to buying them when they will be widely available.. my search yielded only two sites:

CANADA
    http://www.clubplug.ca/en/products/d...obber/desc/180

TAIWAN >> LFR5ARX-11P (equivalent but costs more)
    https://japansparkplugs.com/boutique...r5arx-11p.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Platinum and iridium plugs are pre gapped already. the are not "gapless" plugs, and they are OE on most new cars now days. They easily outlast a std plug.

I would always run what comes in the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Platinum and iridium plugs are pre gapped already. the are not "gapless" plugs, and they are OE on most new cars now days. They easily outlast a std plug.

When I said gapless, I was referring to the platinum Bosch plugs. Those things have four prongs each and cannot be properly gapped. Simply put, they are garbage.

A quick google search shows the NGK platinum plugs are of the same crappy design. I am a huge NGK fan, but no thank you if a plug cannot be properly gapped.

Fortunately our cars use the NGK Iridium plug. Those plugs are of a proper design that can be gapped.

Despite a manufacturer's claim that a plug comes pre-gapped, you should always check the gap on your new plugs and adjust if necessary. I just replaced plugs in a Honda Accord a few months back. At least one of the plugs had to be adjusted. Those things can seriously get tossed around during shipping, resulting in the gap getting out of wack.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-13-2018)

I really haven't done any scientific study's on spark plugs so I won't act like I know which one is best for these cars. But the oem NGK's work and I haven't seen any problems with them. They rarely need to be changed so I don't see the point in cheaping out or gambling on something that might be junk.

Steve made a good point, it's a good idea to double check the gap. They don't usually come from the factory to the parts counter delivered on a pillow. People drop stuff.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Found some distributors for the NGK Ruthenium HX 96355 Spark Plug (LFR5AHX):
    O'Reilly:
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...GK+96355&pos=0

Napa:
    https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NGO96355

Summit Racing:
    https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ngk-96355

RockAuto (out of stock):
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...779996&jsn=332

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Qrush For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-08-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    This makes sense to a point, but doesn't consider the economics of car design, or the advancement of technology in the interim. Maybe mitsu just has a good bulk-deal contract with NGK?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    $9 per plug doesn't sound too horrible...
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    & it even better because we only need 3 of them

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I change spark plugs every 100k miles. My car has over 230k miles and I have changed plugs twice.

Each time I've changed plugs in the Mirage I've called myself stupid for changing them, because they look so nice even after 100k miles of use. I use the OEM plugs and change them anyway, but if someone wanted to be cheap, I think you could easily get 150k miles out of these plugs.

Even at $9 a plug, it is super duper cheap considering the long life you can get out of these plugs. I have no experience with other plugs in this car, but if a cheaper plug doesn't last as long, you certainly aren't saving any money.

I enjoy talking smack with Daox, but when we agree on something I enjoy agreeing and I openly admit it. There is no need to save pennies on spark plugs considering the long life of the OEM plugs and the fact that you only need three.

If a person can't afford $27 in maintenance every 100k miles, then he/she should seriously reconsider owning a car. There are a lot more expensive things to worry about with these cars than spark plugs. A new AC compressor alone is $800!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-12-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    There is no need to save pennies on spark plugs considering the long life of the OEM plugs and the fact that you only need three.
    Isn't this thread about finding the "best plug for fuel economy", not the "cheapest spark plug"?

I don't think most people are looking for "less expensive" alternatives to NGK, but rather "more efficient" alternatives.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)