Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front wheel bearing replacement

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Front wheel bearing replacement

I'm gonna be replacing both front wheel bearings on a 2014 Mirage tomorrow and was just hoping to get some tips or tricks or if there's anything I should be on the look out for before I get into this job?
    A little bit of background on me and my mechanical experience I'm an ASE transit bus master tech and have been working on cars ( Honda and GM mostly) for 20 years.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Here is a link to the complete factory service manual:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmM-AiVvMaF5whqe9MBBbD-jKi5X

Enjoy!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

gone.a (03-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, I'll definitely review that. I have alldata which is also pretty comprehensive. I was more or less just looking for any 1st hand tricks from somebody who had done it or is this a job that I should basically follow the service manual step-by-step to a T?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Another member had to replace his wheel bearing and posted this thread:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...wheel-bearing)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-10-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Yes you must post many pictures of your work for the rest if us to learn from.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yes you must post many pictures of your work for the rest if us to learn from.
    Got it done, documented the whole job. I'll throw a write up together in the next few days

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stevenjmctowlie For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-11-2018),Daox (11-11-2018),Loren (11-11-2018),Top_Fuel (11-12-2018),Tyrelirwin (11-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenjmctowlie View Post
    Got it done, documented the whole job. I'll throw a write up together in the next few days
    I know this post was about a year old, but the sparse documentation on this site is all I can find regarding changing a front wheel bearing on the 2015 Mirage; and I am trying to see how difficult it is and what all would be needed to do it myself rather than take it to a mechanic to have done.

[edit] The other post on this site already linked to above just outlines the issues the poster came across and not what all he did to replace the bearing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The OP registered and was only active for 4 days in 2018. Probably not coming back any time soon. Have you download the service repair manual for your Mirage? Here is the link.

http://mmc-manuals.ru/Mitsubishi_Mir...ervice_Manuals

Download the zipped file.

Unless you own or have access to some decent tools I wouldn’t attempt changing wheel bearings. https://youtu.be/pNpQZ_shOU4
    I’ve changed them without removing the spindle but you don’t save much time and the tools are pricey.
    The bearing has to be installed in the right orientation or the abs won’t work.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I've got another car with a junk front wheel bearing. Only got 350000 kms out of it! This is the first time I had one that was noisy that actually had noticeable play in it. Replaced with a used one, still noisy. Went to pull one from a wrecked 2017, it was f'erd too. Ended up ordering one from the dealer. As usual they didn't have one in stock but found one across town. What a pita to replace these things. Abs sensor was seized into the spindle for starters, hope it's still good....I actually had to break down and read the instructions for the hub grappler kit I have. Might look in the service manual and see how the factory trained Mirage technicians are doing it.

The factory bearing is made by NTN. Wasn't able to find the numbers on it online, though they're hard as hell to read.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)