Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Heater output? (considering getting a Mirage, but live in a cold climate)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Is the heat output adequate on these cars??? 2 winters ago we had a -38*C morning.I just need the car warm enough to keep me from shivering for my whole commute.
    Thanks Lots,
    Roger
    I live in the Sarnia Ont region, the Mirage heater is adequate but takes 5-10 mins of driving for it to warm up, and there is a limit with the Mirage like it or not, there are cars with better heating.

You won't freeze lol but it might take once or twice turning over cold start and 5-10 mins to warm up transmission fluid too on the manual.. goes all thick syrup like, and the engine takes a while to warm up my commute is 25 kms and 10 kms or more the car is still warming up.

It's ok leaves love to get stuck in the HVAC in the fall too don't ask me how.

I don't mean to sound negative the Mirage's heater it's OK ha could just picture better. Nothing is perfect or an Audi, Mercedes either

Last edited by dspace9; 11-11-2018 at 11:12 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

dspace9: block heater and partial grille block.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-16-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think I'm going to see the dealer tomorrow & give him a deposit on the GT in Sunrise Orange... Cobrajet,,, Are you saying that the air is pre heated before it gets to the Heater core?? That is the first I've ever heard of this... It seems as it would take a lot of alternator power to drive this... but it would greatly increase the heater output, is it a heater grid in the intake air path???

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Cobrajet,,, Are you saying that the air is pre heated before it gets to the Heater core?? That is the first I've ever heard of this... It seems as it would take a lot of alternator power to drive this... but it would greatly increase the heater output, is it a heater grid in the intake air path???
    Pretty much. Read this post for more:

3dplane PTC heater explanation

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Cobrajet,,, Are you saying that the air is pre heated before it gets to the Heater core?? That is the first I've ever heard of this... It seems as it would take a lot of alternator power to drive this... but it would greatly increase the heater output, is it a heater grid in the intake air path???
    Yep! PTC heaters are also used for emissions purposes, as the electric heating element acts to heat up the engine coolant circulating through the heater core as well. This allows the engine's computer to get into 'closed loop' mode faster and get to a leaner fuel mixture more quickly, thus reducing emissions.

When you get your Mirage (congrats!) try cold-starting the car and cranking the heat up. You will find there is substantially warmed air blowing out of the vents within about 20-30 seconds...much faster than would be possible using heated coolant.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 11-12-2018 at 08:33 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

klroger (11-12-2018)

Has anyone who replaced their heater core actually seen one or is it just that one guy's friend who worked for Mitus told him? I'm not saying it doesn't have one but I've never seen one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I may have a picture of it from my core replacement. I didn't take too many pictures inside the heater box. However, there are a couple beefy wires going to the right side of the box that I'm sure are for the PTC heater.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-12-2018),Top_Fuel (11-12-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I took the bullet & dropped the deposit off @ the dealer. $20570.00 CDN all in with Tax for a new car with winter tires & rims is pretty good in my books. I had the dealer delete some things like Nitrogen in the tires, (air is 78% nitrogen), Wheel locks (nobody is stealing our tires), & 250.00 for the 60.00 block heater. I was treated very well & I would recommend this dealer anytime if you're in the area!!!! He's getting the Sunrise Orange sent in for me & from what I see, there is only a few left in Ontario...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Congratulations klroger. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

klroger (11-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Congrats!

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

klroger (11-13-2018)