Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heater output? (considering getting a Mirage, but live in a cold climate)

Congrats! What dealer did you get it from, if you don't mind saying?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I got it from Pembroke Mitsubishi. They are local & Mike treated me very well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Congratulations. Yeah we live in the upper midwest and its 6deg F this morning. It dips to -30's F up here.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I got an E-mail from Mike yesterday. They have located the sunrise orange one for me & he asked if it was OK to truck it instead of driving it to the dealership. He said it was to save the KM's on it as it was further then he thought he had to go. He asked if I was OK with a couple more day wait & I told him it was good. May even save the 1st stone chip for me!!!

Roger

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-16-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Woohoo. One step closer!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    dspace9: block heater and partial grille block.
    I'm leery of mods that alter the factory spec designed airflow to the engine. Does the thing remove when you're driving?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Congrats hope your enjoy your new orange Mirage when it arrives, and that new car smell also! Mine took like 3 weeks to arrive, by train I assume, but I think the car came all the way from BC.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I'm leery of mods that alter the factory spec designed airflow to the engine. Does the thing remove when you're driving?
    Considering the factory spec airflow is mostly to the radiator, and it needs to do less work in the winter to cool down the engine...it's probably fine. I ran a grill block on my iQ for winter, and the only downside was slightly slower acceleration, probably due to more restricted airflow.

My concern with a grill block on the Mirage would be more for the CVT... you can easily monitor engine temperature, as that's a standard ODBII data point. But I'm not sure about transmission temp, and what the proper range for it would be.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to timw4mail For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-16-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Your grill opening and cooling system are designed to cool your car going through a blazing desert. In any cooler weather condition, it is oversized. Blocking some of it off is not a problem at all. In fact, its one of the most popular modifications to get better fuel economy on Ecomodder (another site we run about getting better fuel economy out of your vehicles).
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-16-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Considering the factory spec airflow is mostly to the radiator, and it needs to do less work in the winter to cool down the engine...it's probably fine. I ran a grill block on my iQ for winter, and the only downside was slightly slower acceleration, probably due to more restricted airflow.

My concern with a grill block on the Mirage would be more for the CVT... you can easily monitor engine temperature, as that's a standard ODBII data point. But I'm not sure about transmission temp, and what the proper range for it would be.
    That's interesting for sure, but I'm not sure I'm willing to play with anything that is modifiable for as long as the warranty is there, which is now only powertrain not new car warranty. So I haven't done anything non-OEM yet anyway on my Mirage except tires,. I have 55,000 km's or so of warranty left, so far so good.

From day 1 a weird wind noise in the Mirage's engine bay at speed, depends on the weather too.

Last edited by dspace9; 11-16-2018 at 01:33 PM.