Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AmazonBasics Full Synthetic Motor Oil

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts

AmazonBasics Full Synthetic Motor Oil

What do you make of this? Amazon is selling their own brand of motor oil. They offer conventional, full synthetic, high mileage - synthetic blend, and high mileage - full synthetic. The synthetic is 5 quarts for $20 and the conventional is 5 quarts for $17 with free delivery.

Name:  71Z2UNSggoL._SL750_.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  36.2 KB

Name:  71XuXwKSnPL._SL750_.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  38.1 KB

Looks like these were first available on July 23, 2018.

I'll be interested in seeing any lab tests on how these hold up. I expect these to be big sellers for Amazon.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    What do you make of this? Amazon is selling their own brand of motor oil. They offer conventional, full synthetic, high mileage - synthetic blend, and high mileage - full synthetic. The synthetic is 5 quarts for $20 and the conventional is 5 quarts for $17 with free delivery.

Name:  71Z2UNSggoL._SL750_.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  36.2 KB

Name:  71XuXwKSnPL._SL750_.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  38.1 KB

Looks like these were first available on July 23, 2018.

I'll be interested in seeing any lab tests on how these hold up.
    If you request the MSDS information they are required by law to provide it. It will list the actual manufacturer of the oil. For example True Value has their own brand oil. I requested the MSDS info—Manufactured by Citgo.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting but in my neck of the woods you can get Supertech oil at Walmart for a few dollars less.

Exon Mobile is one of my clients. The last time I was sitting in their lobby, I noticed a Supertech oil container in the display case of products they make. I’ve been using Supertech oil in my wife’s car and my moms car ever since then.

I run a specific brand of oil in the Delorean and my dads 1985 Ford due to our zinc requirements. But in any modern car that doesn’t need zinc, that cheap Walmart oil is perfectly fine. I’m sure the Amazon oil is just the same.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The back label says it's made by Warren Distribution. Word is this oil blender company makes SuperTech for Walmart. One reviewer noted their order had "Supertech" molded on the bottle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The back label says it's made by Warren Distribution. Word is this oil blender company makes SuperTech for Walmart. One reviewer noted their order had "Supertech" molded on the bottle.
    Warren has been around for a long time. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase one of their oils.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-11-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Supertech is good oil. I wouldn’t buy the amazon stuff and would just get it straight fro Walmart instead.
    If I weren’t already getting free oil changes on my Mitsubishi, I’d be doing it myself with Supertech and a Bosch oil filter. Fram filters are garbage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm sure Warren custom blends for their customers. Just because Warren blends SuperTech for Walmart doesn't mean they use the same recipe for Amazon, does it? I would want to seee an oil analysis to prove that out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Supertech is good oil.
    I agree that Super Tech is a good oil, & I have used their conventional oils for years with no complaints. I've used it in all of my vehicles that used conventional oil. I also use it in push mowers, riding lawnmower, log splitter, chainsaw 2-stroke oil & bar oil, and my Kawasaki Mule. I have no reservations with Super Tech oils.

The recommended oil for the Mirage is 0W-20 synthetic oil. I have never seen Super Tech 0w-20 synthetic oil @ Walmart, nor does their website list it. If Super Tech 0W-20 synthetic oil existed, I would consider using it.

Walmart does sell a Super Tech 5W-20 synthetic oil, and that is a relatively new item (last year or two). Super Tech 5W-20 synthetic may have been around longer than that, but I have yet to see Super Tech 0W-20 synthetic oil.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    That is a good point Mark. Even if Super Tech is cheaper, a few bucks is worth not having to go to Walmart haha. If I would have known about this a week ago, I'd have used it in my Mirage oil change and gotten the right 0W-20 weight oil instead of the 5W-30 that was on sale at the local farm supply.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sure wish this was available on Amazon.ca ! Oil is expensive here!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)