Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rod-rattle at start up. Not a rod knock, but a rattle that goes away after starting

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    I agree with inuvik - solid advice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I've noticed some noise on lots of our car's on cold starts lately. Mostly when it's below freezing though. I hear some pretty awful noises on some cars after an oil change that last make me cringe. Others are pretty quiet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This was my new engine from salvage after not being run for who knows how long (it's a 2017 w/ 20k miles, so couldn't have been too long). Lots of valve clatter for about 4 seconds until the oil pressure came up. Maybe a little more than the typical post-oil-change start.

Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3banger View Post
    I have a 2017 G4 Mirage sedan. Just recently, I've notice that I have just a touch of "rod-rattle" at start up. Really doesn"t matter if the engine oil is hot or cold. The rattle goes away once oil pressure builds up. Kind of annoying. It only lasts about half a second. I have 33,000 original miles. I changed the oil religiously. I use a 5-20 synthetic blend.
    The 0-20 viscosity oil is like water...at least the 5-20 gives you a slight advantage in hot weather.

Anyone else hearing a slight rattle at start up? I'm a bit concerned.

Cheers, 3banger
    It could very well be a no-oil-rattle on startup.
    Because of that I changed my OEM oilfilter to a Filtron OP525, which includes a silicone non-return valve plus bypass valve, and the rattle is gone. With the cheap little OEM filter without a non-return valve they put on during yearly serviceing, the rattle regularly comes back, so I just put another OP525 back in and the rattle is gone again.
    Last edited by foama; 11-13-2018 at 04:11 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I have decided do use a filter with an ADBV or ADV (anti-drainback valve) and change viscosity from 5-10 to 20-30 synthetic. My next oil change should determine if it will work or not.

3banger

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3banger View Post
    I have decided do use a filter with an ADBV or ADV (anti-drainback valve) and change viscosity from 5-10 to 20-30 synthetic. My next oil change should determine if it will work or not.

3banger
    That is the thickest viscosity oil I've heard anyone use here. I'm very interested in hearing how it will work for you, 3banger.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry about the typo.....I meant 10-30 synthetic. I don't want to go over that. I hadn't had my five cups of coffee yet so I was still in a brain-fog LOL.

3banger

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Bringing an old thread back to life here but it seems like it's the camshaft actuator rattling on cold start all this time. https://youtu.be/gwJ5BBHb9W4

Country
    United States
    Thanks

engine knock

I have a 2017 G4, 53,000 miles. I have had this problem since 24,000 miles. I cured it a year ago by switching to 5W-30 Castrol Magnatec oil, and a fram tough guard oil filter.

The mitsu oil filter was strange no start up noise until I got 1,500 miles on the oil. I had this phenomenon happen to me more than once, until a made a oil filter switch. I can truthfully say it's gone now even in sub-zero temperatures.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mrwhite For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-24-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I took my 2014 in for occasional weird start up noises awhile back to a 40 year master mechanic I trust. He basically said nothing is wrong with the engine. It's a tough but archaic, unrefined 3pot. Its going to make weird noises sometimes. Nothing to worry about.