Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bought a No Mar Tire Bar - and a TPMS solution

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    UPDATE:
    The No Mar Tire bar is very nice, exactly as manufacturer says. But what I can't get over is the No Mar Tyre (spelled this way on the jar) Lube.
    I needed the bar to remove the tire, but was able to reinstall the tire entirely BY HAND!
    You can buy a jar of the tire lube direct or on Amazon.
    I'm sold! Ruglyde and Coates Tire Cream are ok, but this stuff is amazing.
    I practiced on an old Enasave and aftermarket Mirage steel wheel (ebay cheap wheel from China). I'll install the new tire on the original wheel tomorrow, since it's getting dark now, but I'm very happy with how this stuff works.
    Nice! Let's see some pictures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yeah, I watched the No Mar videos a couple of times, figured out the technique in real life, it's such a simple, nicely designed and functional tool. Best of all there is no damage to wheels/paint.

I think the lube is glycerine-based, sort of like glycerine soap what you can get at bulk barn. Don't quote me on that but it's what I used when the No Mar stuff ran out. Name:  Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 7.05.00 PM.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  19.1 KB
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Nice! Let's see some pictures.
    I don't know how to add pictures. Bear with me

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Ok, I see how to do it. I'll have to get some pictures in the morning, it's dark here now. Will upload some tomorrow.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tomrad For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-18-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Minor update: I COULD NOT use the Bartec Tech 400SD to get the car to go into TPMS relearn mode. Even with the new data cable. If the guys at the tire shop used this machine to make this happen then they must have newer software than I do. Or I am doing it wrong...and I am not. It simply will not work.

BUT...

I am very happy to report that I used the Tech 400SD to successfully clone my sensors! Now, all I have to do is install them in my snow wheels and that damned light will go out. I now have two sets of sensors with the same ID numbers. Woohoo!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I am very happy to report that I used the Tech 400SD to successfully clone my sensors! Now, all I have to do is install them in my snow wheels and that damned light will go out. I now have two sets of sensors with the same ID numbers. Woohoo!
    Did you use what you shared in a previous post to clone your existing factory sensors? I copied/pasted what you had shared earlier below.

"I ordered a set of used, tested, clone-able Schrader 33000 EZ-Sensors from Ebay. I figure good used sensors will be fine on a set of wheels and tires that will only be used 3-4 months a year."

Cloning is the way to go. Good to hear someone being successful doing it!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Did you use what you shared in a previous post to clone your existing factory sensors? I copied/pasted what you had shared earlier below.

"I ordered a set of used, tested, clone-able Schrader 33000 EZ-Sensors from Ebay. I figure good used sensors will be fine on a set of wheels and tires that will only be used 3-4 months a year."

Cloning is the way to go. Good to hear someone being successful doing it!
    Yep! I even did a rudimentary test to see if they would work. I didn't want to dismount my tires...by hand...and install these sensors only to find there was some problem. So I taped the cloned sensors onto the wheels and drove around a little.

The light didn't flash anymore when the car was turned on. Instead, it came on SOLID. A flashing TPMS light indicates a system malfunction. This is what it used to do when I put the snow wheels on because the sensors in those wheels are not coded to the car.

The solid light means the TPMS system is communicating with the sensors normally...and those sensors are reading FOUR FLAT TIRES. Obviously, the sensors are not going to be reading 35 psi taped to the outside of the wheel, right?

The cloned sensors should work fine when installed in my snow wheels. Not declaring victory yet, but I am ordering the champagne!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-18-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Yep! I even did a rudimentary test to see if they would work. I didn't want to dismount my tires...by hand...and install these sensors only to find there was some problem. So I taped the cloned sensors onto the wheels and drove around a little.

The light didn't flash anymore when the car was turned on. Instead, it came on SOLID. A flashing TPMS light indicates a system malfunction. This is what it used to do when I put the snow wheels on because the sensors in those wheels are not coded to the car.

The solid light means the TPMS system is communicating with the sensors normally...and those sensors are reading FOUR FLAT TIRES. Obviously, the sensors are not going to be reading 35 psi taped to the outside of the wheel, right?

The cloned sensors should work fine when installed in my snow wheels. Not declaring victory yet, but I am ordering the champagne!!
    I really hope this works out for you, because cloning sensors makes the most sense. Since the car can only store 4 codes, you may as well use those.

If you can read the four factory sensors (codes) from the tires & clone them, I don't see a need for a cable. Once you know your four codes, I would write them down somewhere. A person (knowing their 4 sensor codes) should be able to walk into any auto parts store, & they should be able to clone a sensor for you. That's not happening everywhere yet, but it should be! Since the codes are stamped on the sensors, you should even be able to clone a dead sensor by visually looking at it. Having the codes written down somewhere would simplify all that. You could clone a new sensor prior to having a bad one replaced.

TPMS is a safety feature, & keeping it working should be simple! After you mount your snow tires (with cloned sensor installed), please give us an update! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I really hope this works out for you, because cloning sensors makes the most sense. Since the car can only store 4 codes, you may as well use those.

If you can read the four factory sensors (codes) from the tires & clone them, I don't see a need for a cable. Once you know your four codes, I would write them down somewhere. A person (knowing their 4 sensor codes) should be able to walk into any auto parts store, & they should be able to clone a sensor for you. That's not happening everywhere yet, but it should be! Since the codes are stamped on the sensors, you should even be able to clone a dead sensor by visually looking at it. Having the codes written down somewhere would simplify all that. You could clone a new sensor prior to having a bad one replaced.

TPMS is a safety feature, & keeping it working should be simple! After you mount your snow tires (with cloned sensor installed), please give us an update! Thanks for sharing!!!!
    Completely agree. Cloning seems to be the way to do it as far as the Mirage goes, though I am still annoyed at being stymied on the OBD2 method. One advantage to the cloning method is not having to break the TPMS tool out twice a year to switch back and forth between sensor sets. It is a one-and-done proposition. The Bartec gives me two options when it comes to programming sensors:

1. Copy sensors
    2. Create sensor IDs

I have only messed around with the first one since that is what I knew I wanted to do. It is a pretty simple process. You select "Program Sensors" from the main menu. The tool will then ask for make, model, and year. You then select the particular sensor brand you are going to program from a list of about 10-12 options.

Then you read each original sensor on the car in turn...LF, RF, RR, LR. The tool stores these codes. Select "Program", and that is when the Tech 400SD asks you which procedure you want to do. I selected "Copy sensors".

The tool will ask you to put the appropriate Schrader EZ-Sensor in front of the tool...in our case it's part number 33000...and push a button. The tool will display "Programming ID", along with a task bar. After about 15 seconds, the tool will say "Programming Successful". Do this in turn with all four sensors, and that's it! Pretty darned simple. You now have exact copies of the sensors in your wheels, and your car won't be able to tell the difference.

The Tech 400SD is a professional-grade tool. They normally sell for between $700 and $1100. It isn't really something a regular car owner would invest in, and as such it seems to be able to do several different TPMS-related tasks. I only bought this particular one because it was cheaper than most of the other options out there.

I haven't messed with this function yet, but I am hoping "Create IDs" means I can actually program a specific sensor ID number into one of the Schrader EZ-Sensors to replace one on my car that has failed. A failed sensor cannot be copied using the method I just described since it is non-functional and can't transmit information to the tool, but as you suggest it can still be cloned if that specific ID number could be programmed into the sensor manually.

I know tire shops can do this, and they are quite likely to be using not only a Bartec product...but a Tech 400SD.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    If you can read the four factory sensors (codes) from the tires & clone them, I don't see a need for a cable.
    Once you know your four codes, I would write them down somewhere.
    That's the approach I'm going with. I know the 4 sensor IDs on my car...and I even installed a label in each wheel with the sensor ID for that wheel...

Name:  TPMS Label 2.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  74.8 KB

Each OEM (or non-programmable) TPMS sensor has the ID printed on it...

Name:  Redi_Sensor_Labeled.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  99.4 KB

...but that still means you would have to remove the sensor to figure out its ID number. The most convenient thing would be to have your numbers before a sensor dies.

In other news...

I finally had a chance to clone a Mirage sensor over the weekend with my Autel TS501. I had it installed and have driven about 300 miles on it so far...and it's working great! I will post a separate thread about it when I get my pics organized.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-19-2018)