Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bought a No Mar Tire Bar - and a TPMS solution

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    SUCCESS!!

I installed the cloned sensors in my snow wheels tonight. Took it for a short drive and the TPMS light went out! Even the tire dismount/mount went easy.

No more TPMS light! Cloning seems to be the way to go here. Sensors were cloned with a Bartec Tech 400SD.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-20-2018),Eggman (11-20-2018),inuvik (11-20-2018),Top_Fuel (11-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Cloning seems to be the way to go here.
    Yeah...I agree. Your clone test was successful and so was mine. And we're using 2 completely different tools and brands of programmable sensors. That's good enough for me!

It would be nice to be able to read/write IDs to the computer...but at this point, what does it matter? As long as I can replace a sensor myself and keep the TPMS light off, that's all I care about!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (11-22-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Yeah...I agree. Your clone test was successful and so was mine. And we're using 2 completely different tools and brands of programmable sensors. That's good enough for me!

It would be nice to be able to read/write IDs to the computer...but at this point, what does it matter? As long as I can replace a sensor myself and keep the TPMS light off, that's all I care about!
    I was bummed about having to buy a THIRD set of sensors to make this work, but the third set...clonable...was so cheap it didn't hurt too much. I actually had no idea the Bartec could clone sensors when I bought it!

When the OBDII relearn failed I was afraid it would become a $200 paperweight. I actually bought two sets of used Schrader 33000 EZ-Sensors on Ebay for this project. Good thing, because one of the eight sensors was bad. Seller was very good about replacing it, however, and it is in the mail. I have cloned the other three extra sensors for my car already. When the replacement sensor arrives I will try to 'write' a specific TPMS ID to it using the Bartec. It would be nice to be able to change the TPMS programming in the car via OBDII. But honestly the car can have the same four TPMS IDs in the system forever...as long as I know those IDs I can write them onto replacement sensors. Forever!

That would be quite handy!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (11-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I quickly looked over the No Mar tires stuff. Do you need a tire changer plus the no mar bar? Also, how do you balance after you've changed the tires?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I quickly looked over the No Mar tires stuff. Do you need a tire changer plus the no mar bar? Also, how do you balance after you've changed the tires?
    I use a Harbor Freight changer with the No Mar bar. Also, a Harbor Freight balancer. However, my right rear tire didn't require balancing. I lined up the white dot on the wheel with the red dot on the tire. Close enough. But my buddy who has a shop and installed the left rear tire for me used his Hunter balancer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tomrad For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Yep. The Harbor Freight tire changer works fine, as tomrad mentions.

Most of the wheel balancing involves offsetting the weight of the valve stems and TPMS sensors. If you look at your current wheel weight locations you will find that they are more or less diametrically-opposed to the valve stem. Many years ago the tires themselves might have needed to be balanced, but modern tires don't really need it.

I had these snow tires mounted and balanced professionally just once at a tire shop. When I removed the tires to install the cloned sensors I simply marked where the wheel weights should go on the wheels, removed the weights, installed the TPMS sensors, reinstalled the tires, then reinstalled the weights in the positions I marked out.

Simple as that. I have not had any balance issues. A No Mar is on my list of things to buy before I do my tires again. The bar included with the HF changer is fine for steel snow wheels, but not my OE alloys.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks guys. I've always taken my tires in to get changed. I'm thinking about picking up a home setup. Just not sure. I don't travel a ton of mile, so I don't get new tires too often. However, I pretty much do anything else mechanical related on cars...
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Daox, not sure what rims you are running but just as an fyi,,,
    I have a harbor freight tire changer and a older bubble balancer.
    I like the look of the no mar bar but have not purchased one yet..
    I am still using old school spoons and the harbor freight bar padded with sections of laundry detergent jugs..
    I usually just mount my tires on the rims by standing on them and using a spoon for the last little bit.
    I recently mounted my four snow tires on mirage alloy rims 14”.. when I went to balance them there is a step in the center where the cap sits..
    This would not allow the rim to sit on my bubble balancer.. just a little fyi to look into if you are considering buying a bubble balancer… check your rim actual center bore and the minimum size of the balancer first
    I’m pretty sure it would work fine for my steels but the step makes the center bore on the alloys just a little too small
    Hope this info helps.. I paid my local garage a couple bucks to spin balance my alloy snows for me..

Last edited by A-Aron; 12-19-2018 at 06:13 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Aron For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-19-2018)