Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought a No Mar Tire Bar - and a TPMS solution

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Bought a No Mar Tire Bar - and a TPMS solution

Figured I'd post both in the same thread...
    I just bought an Autel TS408 and a MX Sensor (rubber stem type). I was able to clone my OEM sensor. The Autel quality is excellent. The sensor snaps on to the stem very precisely and secure, very impressive.
    I can read the hexidecimal number as well as check battery and read part number, etc. from the OEM sensor also. Have not put this wheel on the car, it's my full size 'just in case' spare that I'll keep around for emergencies. But I will try it soon to be sure it works, but I don't see why it wouldn't, as it now has the same information as the one original sensor.
    Now, to the tire bar............
    I need to change my left rear tire, with 67k miles on it. Very cupped/scalloped. And I hate to use tire shops, some are good, some not. So I do what I can myself. Last spring, I replaced the right rear for the same cupping problem, and found the Harbor Freight tire bar did not work very well. For me, anyway. So I have been looking for a good solution, a bar that would not damage the wheel or tire, and make replacement smoother. I found a video on No Mar Tire Changer's website that shows a guy replacing a 14" tire, and the process goes so smoothly, that I ordered the bar immediately. Yes, it's not cheap ($153 shipped), but it'll pay for itself in a couple of sets of tires. My local shops gets $20 for mounting/balancing/valve stem.
    I have not received the bar, but I should have it by the weekend, and will post results.
    Check out the video from No Mar, it's really amazing how smoothly the job goes with this bar. They make machines primarily for motorcycles, but they say this bar works well as a substitute for the HF bar.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomrad For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (11-12-2018),Eggman (11-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Great news! I made my first attempt with the Bartec Tech 400SD and ran into a problem. One of the OEM sensors on my snow wheels has gone dead.

Gonna replace it and try getting the car to go into 'learn mode' again. But I did discover that my Tech 400SD can clone sensors as well! Apparently, it can clone programmable sensors from any brand.

Worst case scenario...that is what I will do.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    ...just bought an Autel TS408 and a MX Sensor
    ...I was able to clone my OEM sensor.
    ...Have not put this wheel on the car, it's my full size 'just in case' spare that I'll keep around for emergencies.
    That is a cost-effective tool for handling TPMS issues on a Mirage. If it helps you avoid 1 trip to the dealer for TPMS programming, it will have paid for itself. I have an Autel TS501 which can interface with the car's computer via the OBDII connector. This function works great on most vehicles...but not the Mirage, unfortunately!

...I will try it soon to be sure it works, but I don't see why it wouldn't, as it now has the same information as the one original sensor.
    I haven't tested a sensor out yet, either. I was going to clone one of my existing functioning sensors and swap it with an MX programmable sensor. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    ...I did discover that my Tech 400SD can clone sensors as well! Apparently, it can clone programmable sensors from any brand.
    That's interesting! Manufacturers always seem to claim that you can only program their sensors with their tool.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    ...need to change my left rear tire...Very cupped/scalloped.
    ...I replaced the right rear for the same cupping problem
    Ummm...are you doing anything to correct your tire wear issue?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That's interesting! Manufacturers always seem to claim that you can only program their sensors with their tool.
    The Bartec gives a whole list of sensors it can program. You just select the right brand/model and follow the prompts. I am having a hard time getting the Tech 400SD to get my car into 'learn mode'. I replaced the bad sensor tonight and ran into the same problem I had before.

The first step in the relearn process is using the Tech 400SD to activate and read each of the four sensors in turn, starting at the LF. No problem there, it reads all of them.

Second is to hook up the Tech 400SD via the OBDII port using the blue Mitsubishi adapter and turn on the ignition...check. Next, I select which activation method I want to use for the relearn: '2nd activation tool' or 'lower tire pressure'. Either one should make the TPMS sensor transmit.

This is where things get weird. When I select an activation method it is supposed to prompt me to either lower the pressure at each tire or trigger each sensor with a tool. But it doesn't do this. It skips right to the end screen where the relearn is supposed to commence, and the relearn procedure FAILS.

I then get this prompt, informing me that the car and the Tech 400SD don't seem to be communicating through the OBDII connection.

Very weird. It seems like this should be working, but for some reason just isn't. I ordered a new data-to-OBDII cable just to see if that is the problem. The one that came with the tool is marked "12/06"...not sure if that is a date? The tool itself is from 2015. Anyway, if the new cable doesn't work I am just going to go with cloned sensors.

I ordered a set of used, tested, clone-able Schrader 33000 EZ-Sensors from Ebay. I figure good used sensors will be fine on a set of wheels and tires that will only be used 3-4 months a year.

It is starting to look like getting one of these into relearn mode without an MUT-III is a fool's errand. But if a tire shop can do it with a Bartec device, why the hell can't I??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It is starting to look like getting one of these into relearn mode without an MUT-III is a fool's errand. But if a tire shop can do it with a Bartec device, why the hell can't I??
    Not sure Discount Tire used a Bartec...but they did use the two devices.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Not sure Discount Tire used a Bartec...but they did use the two devices.
    The Bartec, to my knowledge, is the only tool to use a 'blue Mitsubishi adapter cable' as you described in another thread. This adapter is used with the Tech 400 and Tech 400SD, but not with later Bartec tools. The Tech 400SD is supposed to work on Mitsubishis...including the Mirage...when loaded with software version R51 or above. My tool has version R53.

The tool you saw almost has to be a Bartec?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It is starting to look like getting one of these into relearn mode without an MUT-III is a fool's errand.
    At least you can read your 4 existing sensor IDs and you can clone them. So even if you can't communicate properly with the ETACS module, you can handle any TPMS issues.

But yeah...it would be nice to know exactly how any shop is able to successfully communicate with the ETACS module for TPMS functions.

Can your tool scan for TPMS codes? I think my tool can do that successfully...it just can't read sensor IDs directly from the car's module.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    But yeah...it would be nice to know exactly how any shop is able to successfully communicate with the ETACS module for TPMS functions.
    I thought the TPMS had a controller separate from ETACS?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)