Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel gauge

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Fuel gauge

The fuel gauge in my Space Star behaves as if the tank is 28L. On block corresponds to about 3.5L (about 1 US gallon, coincidence?), and the guessed amount of kilometers left also presumes a 28L tank.

Which made me wonder if the car indeed has a 35L tank, as the specs promise. The Fuel Economy Logs show that most fill ups for most people are around or less than 28L.
    But I found that Top Fuel (what's in a name?) regularly fills more than 30L, and one time even 33.3L. So I guess the specs are right.

Does the fuel gauge for everybody say the tank is empty with still 7L left (140+km), or is it just mine?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I've noticed this as well. When I fill up, I typically only put in a bit over 7 gallons (~28L). This seems to leave a LOT of reserve fuel just in case. My guess is this is done on purpose just as a safety.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    The fuel gauge in my Space Star behaves as if the tank is 28L. On block corresponds to about 3.5L (about 1 US gallon, coincidence?), and the guessed amount of kilometers left also presumes a 28L tank.

Which made me wonder if the car indeed has a 35L tank, as the specs promise. The Fuel Economy Logs show that most fill ups for most people are around or less than 28L.
    But I found that Top Fuel (what's in a name?) regularly fills more than 30L, and one time even 33.3L. So I guess the specs are right.

Does the fuel gauge for everybody say the tank is empty with still 7L left (140+km), or is it just mine?
    Mine pretty much works like this, although I haven't measured it.

I suppose one of these days I'll run it empty and find out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    My fuel gauge has been wonky lately. When I got the car, one bar used to correspond to about one US gallon. Eight bars for eight gallons, then when the gauge was flashing and no bars were lit it meant a little over one gallon in reserve. Drive 50-60 miles with the gauge flashing and I ran out of gas.

Not anymore. Now, the car can be DEAD EMPTY...like, engine-stops-running empty...and the gauge will still show two bars. Other times there will be no bars lit and the car will keep running. The gauge doesn't ever flash at all anymore.

Very annoying. I am planning to replace the fuel gauge sender this spring.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    My fuel gauge has been wonky lately. When I got the car, one bar used to correspond to about one US gallon. Eight bars for eight gallons, then when the gauge was flashing and no bars were lit it meant a little over one gallon in reserve. Drive 50-60 miles with the gauge flashing and I ran out of gas.

Not anymore. Now, the car can be DEAD EMPTY...like, engine-stops-running empty...and the gauge will still show two bars. Other times there will be no bars lit and the car will keep running. The gauge doesn't ever flash at all anymore.

Very annoying. I am planning to replace the fuel gauge sender this spring.
    That's weird. Are you able to monitor your fuel gauge through your OBD II port to get more details?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

At least the fuel pumps are easy to get to.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    At least the fuel pumps are easy to get to.
    This! Fummins knows what he's talking about.

If you were to run the tank dry, it would probably take a gallon or so more than the stated capacity. Most cars actually do have about 1.5-2 gallons of "reserve" below what the gauge calls "empty".

Part of that is for you, sure. But, most of it is to protect the fuel pump. The ony think keeping the fuel pump cool is the fuel around it and flowing through it.

It's really not a good idea to regularly run the car below about 1/8 tank.

That said, I've run it to zero bars and flashing on the gauge, and then some... and I've never put more than about 8, maybe 8.5 gallons in it. It's almost always less than 8.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    But, most of it is to protect the fuel pump. The ony think keeping the fuel pump cool is the fuel around it and flowing through it.

It's really not a good idea to regularly run the car below about 1/8 tank.
    Honestly, I always thought this admonition may have applied to early electronic fuel injection systems more than modern ones. As you can see on this diagram the fuel pump on the Mirage is located quite high up in the tank. It's pretty much attached to the bottom of the hatch cover, actually.

Seems as though you would have to keep the tank much more than half full for the fuel to act as a 'coolant'?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll let Fummins respond to that. He's had one apart, and surely has more experience with failed fuel pumps than I do.

It looks like a pretty typical arrangement. Fuel pump is upright with the pick-up on the bottom.

I expect that if you run the tank dry, and the car stalls due to lack of fuel... at that point, the fuel pump has no coolant and no lubrication. It's gonna get hot in a hurry.
    Simplify and add lightness.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-13-2018)

What Loren said.

And the pump is at the bottom of the assembly like most in tank pumps I've hit with sticks. I posted pics of one somewhere around here. I probably posted somewhere it doesn't belong though...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)