Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shifter Springs?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Shifter Springs?

Daox?

Here's the deal: Missed shift 2>1 instead of 2>3 cost me an engine. I'd like to make it harder for that to happen.

I played around with the idea of a gated shifter, or some sort of a 1st gear lock-out, and that could work. But, two things bug me about that. One is that to get enough space between the shift gates to allow for a gated shifter, you have to build the console up by a few inches. We have surprisingly narrow gates. The other thing is that if I did all of this, it would be mounted to the plastic center console, which isn't very rigid to start with.

Another idea that someone suggested was stiffer shifter centering springs. I brushed it off at first, but I just looked, and "it's a thing". Pretty common in the Honda world.

I think that would be the hot ticket. I little stronger centering action so that you're less likely to end up in first gear without intending to. (the stock springs probably aren't that bad with a stock shift knob, but my knob is significantly heavier... that is a factor)

So, my question is: How hard is it to replace these springs on our shifter? And... how close are they to what's in the Honda shifter? Possible to maybe use the same parts?

I don't want or need a shorter throw. I'm okay with that. I'd just like stronger centering action.

Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Its not too difficult to take apart. It is kind of a pain though. You will need a dremel or something to cut metal. There is a metal press on washer that holds things together. You'll have to order a replacement because you have to cut it off to get things apart. After you cut it off, things just come apart and you can swap out the spring very easily.

Its hard to see, but the washer is on the end of the shaft behind the pivot ball in this picture. Its the dark grey thing.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Loren (11-16-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Woud you happen to have any disassembled photos that would show the springs?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I probably do. I'll check when I get home.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, I could not find any pictures of the shifter. However, I did find this installation instruction for a short shifter kit for a Lancer. The assembly is as far as I can tell is identical. It shows details of everything as its being disassembled.

https://www.twmperformance.com/image...all-manual.pdf

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Loren (11-29-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cool. So, the shifter is quite different from the Honda stuff. Hondas use two centering springs on each side used in a "compression" arrangement. Mitsubishi appears to have designed a spring arrangement that requires only one spring set in "torsion". Smart design. Fewer parts.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looking at the lancer pictures...it would be a hard one to do, but you might could take the factory spring and run it around 1 time, but you would be making it super stiff in the process
    2018 mirage ES manual

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You may be able to disassemble it, and buy or make a bushing to go over the stock shaft that holds the ends of the spring. This would deflect the spring farther and increase tension on it. The larger the bushing diameter, the more tension. A chopped up cheapo nylon cutting board would probably work fine.

Attachment 13183

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've always worked with coil springs in suspension design, in compression. I've never played with springs in torsion.

Might have to do some research and find out how much of a difference changing the torsion preload would make on a spring like that. My compression-spring intuition says that the rate should remain relatively constant, except for the minor increase in the number of coils and decrease in diameter that comes with winding the spring tighter. But, I'm not sure if that's correct or not.

If you take a coil spring in COMPRESSION and stretch or compress it... the rate remains the same, regardless of the preload.

More research is required on my part.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I've always worked with coil springs in suspension design, in compression. I've never played with springs in torsion.
    Are they not the same? One is coiled, one is not. Both twist the rod.

The variables are length, thickness, and material.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)