Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do performance air filters actually work?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Do performance air filters actually work?

I like Engineer Explained. I don't always agree with all his content, but he does put forth good effort to putting good info out there. His testing was done on a Subaru Crosstrek. Anyways, its worth a look.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I like Engineer Explained. I don't always agree with all his content, but he does put forth good effort to putting good info out there.
    I agree that Jason makes a good effort but I don't care for his delivery (I wish he did less showmanship.) That's his style. I try to seek other videos to avoid him. Jason runs the website howdoesacarwork.com, uses social media outlets and even hawks merchandise.

Engineering Explained YouTube channel | About Me
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineering Explained YouTube channel | About Me
    Description
    How do cars work? It's a simple question, without a simple answer. That's what this channel is for! You could search the web endlessly for consumable information, or you can watch my simple to understand videos. I'm a graduated mechanical engineer with a passion for cars, and my goal is to help other people passionate about cars learn how they work. Hope you find my videos enjoyable; feel free to ask questions!

New videos every Wednesday.
    Jason Fenske - Channel Owner - Engineering Explained

I like the old Jam Handy videos on YouTube. Check out this playlist for more:

Last edited by Eggman; 11-17-2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Added link to Jam Handy playlist on YouTube.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm too lazy to watch the video. What's the consensus around here regarding K&N air filters?

Too expensive for my taste, but they are reusable. Even if they don't make a bit of difference, at least you don't have to keep buying air filters if you go the K&N route.

I believe I am on my third air filter at 224k miles. The cheap ones seem to be working fine for me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Don't the reusable K&N filters require a treatment spray? I read somewhere that it can cause problems with intake sensors. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    (unscientific speculation and hearsay follows) Years ago, I had a K&N filter for my Saturn. I had no way to measure performance, but I don't ever recall it "feeling" more powerful. I remember reading something about how performance filters (including K&N) allow more air through, and because of that, let more grit through, possibly leading to engine damage. Undetectable performance increase at the cost of possible real engine damage didn't seem like a good trade-off to me. I think that was about the time I found RockAuto, and just paid the couple dollars for a traditional filter. (end unscientific speculation and hearsay)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The OEM and non-performance are good if you just want to daily drive. On the track you put a performance one and then swap it out when you're done.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    dont know if it makes any difference. I saw in thailand mirage club theyre doing this with their air box
    Name:  IMG_0410.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  91.2 KB

if you noticed the air box they cut it so that they can twist it facing infront of the engine bay

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    dont know if it makes any difference. I saw in thailand mirage club theyre doing this with their air box

if you noticed the air box they cut it so that they can twist it facing infront of the engine bay
    Custom cold air intake?
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    Name:  IMG_0410.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  91.2 KB

I wonder how they supported the weight & mass of the air box since it is no longer fastened to the valve cover. I wouldn't want that mass being supported solely by the throttle body.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Don't the reusable K&N filters require a treatment spray? I read somewhere that it can cause problems with intake sensors. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in.
    It's pretty common for oil from the filter to coat mass air flow sensors. People sometimes put too much oil on the filter. I just use paper filters on my junk. I don't have time to clean filters, let them dry, then oil them, let them dry again then install....But I do run 2 layer foam oiled filters in my atvs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)