Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CVT Transmission Woes (how to confirm fluid level?)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ok, I'm STILL having CVT issues. Not a complete failure with the blinking gear-indicator, but a really bad lurch and gear-hunting all over the place.

I have drain/filled my CVT fluid so many times over the last month that it cannot be the quality of the fluid, nor the quantity.

I'm having some other issue. No codes thrown that my BlueDriver OBDII scanner picks up.

I still have not replaced the filters as Fummins suggested, but I'm wondering if I should just source a new transmission instead of throwing more money at this one?

Is there anything else I should be checking? I know there's some various computers etc with the CVT, but it seems weird that I have no codes.

The main problem is that my car seems to have great issue with reving a couple hundred rpm above or below 3,000. I can no longer use the cruise control, as it just hunts and lurches wildly, which is no fun on QE2 at 120km/hr.

It seems to drive fine if I draft a Semi going 100-110km/h and keep the rpms around 2,000-2,500.

I dunno what's up, but my fuel economy has been great! :/

Any help or insights or things to check would be helpful!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    UPDATE!!!

Finally my car has thrown a code: P0715 "Input/Turbine Shaft Speed Sensor "A" Circuit"

Does this mean I need myself a new TCM, or a new CVT?

Thanks for any and all input!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Honestly I'd just look for a low mileage cvt. If the failure prone thrust washer didn't let go yet it probably will very shortly. Parts aren't cheap for those cvt's and the one shop that usually rebuilds transmissions for us wouldn't even look at a cvt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Honestly I'd just look for a low mileage cvt.
    I found one for under $500 that only has 82,500 kms on. That one should last me 2-3 years for pretty cheap.

I imagine I'd best be prepared with 7 or so quarts of fluid for the replacement procedure.

Anything else I might need? This is going to be a bit of an undertaking for me...

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...y-logan-utsman

What causes the P0715 code?
    A P0715 usually has one main cause and other secondary issues that are less common. These include:

Faulty transmission speed sensor
    Faulty or damaged speed sensor wiring
    Faulty speed sensor electrical connection
    Faulty shift solenoids
    Damaged transmission valve body
    Dirty or low transmission fluid

What repairs can fix the P0715 code?
    The most common repairs for a P0715 are as follows:

Replacing the input speed sensor
    Repairing damaged wiring for the input speed sensor

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0715

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ge-2014-1000cc

i would just and change the speed sensor
    https://www.autozone.com/engine-mana...subishi/mirage
    Last edited by Adam - UK; 01-04-2019 at 04:29 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam - UK For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (01-04-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Tyrelirwin, forgive me if this has already been covered but what CVT fluid are you using?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (01-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    I found one for under $500 that only has 82,500 kms on. That one should last me 2-3 years for pretty cheap.

I imagine I'd best be prepared with 7 or so quarts of fluid for the replacement procedure.

Anything else I might need? This is going to be a bit of an undertaking for me...
    Does anyone know if other years will fit a 14'? I know a 17' cvt will work on a 15'.

Aldons in Lamont has one from a 15' with 2500kms/1500miles. They also have one from a 14' with 16k kms. I can't post links to car-part.com.....Look up transmission for 14'-18 mirage, and weed out the manuals.
    Make sure the case isn't cracked at the rearmost part of the casing, the wrecker should make sure of that but some places might miss it.
    I can't remember how much fluid you'll need, download the service manual if you don't have it it should say in it. Depending on the mileage the "new" cvt has or allegedly has, you might want to change the cartridge filter and the screen in the pan as well. I'd pull the pan and inspect it before installing used parts anyways. If you're cheap and careful you can usually reuse the pan gasket. Get a new oring or 2 for the cartridge filter, they can tear and or get pinched easily.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-04-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam - UK View Post
    i would just and change the speed sensor
    As Fummins pointed out, I'm almost at the observed end-life for the CVT anyway (I'm at 278,000kms/173k miles, and the longest lived CVT was something like 304,000kms/190k miles). Since I drive 70,000kms/43.5k miles per year, I'll be at this outside number in just a few months. So my CVT's days are numbered regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Tyrelirwin, forgive me if this has already been covered but what CVT fluid are you using?
    Klondike CVT as recommended by Fummins- it's $13/quart and works for him, so it's good for me! I can get it here in town anytime.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Make sure the case isn't cracked at the rearmost part of the casing, the wrecker should make sure of that but some places might miss it.
    I can't remember how much fluid you'll need, download the service manual if you don't have it it should say in it. Depending on the mileage the "new" cvt has or allegedly has, you might want to change the cartridge filter and the screen in the pan as well. I'd pull the pan and inspect it before installing used parts anyways. If you're cheap and careful you can usually reuse the pan gasket. Get a new oring or 2 for the cartridge filter, they can tear and or get pinched easily.
    I'm just waiting on a few cartridge filters I ordered from Nissan in Japan. I'm assuming the o-ring is a standard size that I can grab at any speed/hardware shop (if it doesn't come with the filters)?
    I'm thinking I'll pull the pan on the new one, clean the magnets, swap both filters, and make sure everything is nice and tidy. Even a trans with 80,000kms/50k miles on it should last me another 2-3 years (especially considering I'll be giving it a "full service" with new fluid/filters), at which point something else will likely give...

I'd offer to help you out but I don't usually have any free time to work on my own junk let alone others.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (01-04-2019)