Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CVT Transmission Woes (how to confirm fluid level?)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Question CVT Transmission Woes (how to confirm fluid level?)

Hi everyone,
    No matter how intently I peer at the dipstick, I am having a really tough time getting the right amount of transmission fluid in the car after my various drain/fills.

Does anyone know an [B]exact[B] measurment for how much fluid the car takes after it has drained over night, on level ground?

I can't exactly measure what comes out, becuase that isn't an appropriate baseline.

I have followed all the directions for getting the transmission to temp, shifting through the gears, and then checking the dipstick, but my issue is that the fluid is so transparent and has such thin viscosity that I can't seem to tell where on the gauge the level is coming to.

Please help.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 11-19-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: (added info to title)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    Hi everyone,
    No matter how intently I peer at the dipstick, I am having a really tough time getting the right amount of transmission fluid in the car after my various drain/fills.

Does anyone know an [B]exact[B] measurment for how much fluid the car takes after it has drained over night, on level ground?

I can't exactly measure what comes out, becuase that isn't an appropriate baseline.

I have followed all the directions for getting the transmission to temp, shifting through the gears, and then checking the dipstick, but my issue is that the fluid is so transparent and has such thin viscosity that I can't seem to tell where on the gauge the level is coming to.

Please help.
    I had 3 quarts drain out when I did my drain and refill, both times.
    (blank signature)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (11-17-2018)

I usually add around 2.5 liters. By just pulling the plug and not jacking up the rear. Depends on if it's hot or not.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (11-19-2018),Tyrelirwin (11-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I usually add around 2.5 liters. By just pulling the plug and not jacking up the rear. Depends on if it's hot or not.
    Crap.. my amount is with the rear right backed up a ramp.
    (blank signature)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (11-20-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm pretty much at the point where I can feel if I have too much- a little bit sluggish, and higher revs on the highway that it should be. Still having trouble hitting the right level- noticing some slip and some jerking.

Can't seem to set the cruise at 3000RPM without the trans wildly hunting up and down

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    Hi everyone,

Please help.
    Try painting the dipstick with a flat black paint. It should be easier to see when it's wet with fluid.

Make sure the dipstick is clean and dry and free of oil before painting.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuelblender For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-22-2018),Tyrelirwin (11-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    That's a pretty clever idea, Fuelblender.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Yup, good idea!

Similar: use a fine grain sandpaper to make the dipstick itself matte in the measurement area. Should make the level easier to see.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (11-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Yup, good idea!

Similar: use a fine grain sandpaper to make the dipstick itself matte in the measurement area. Should make the level easier to see.
    ?? I think this belongs in another thread. Although an old-timey dipstick would be pretty reliable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

You are correct. Not sure how this mis-post happened. Moving it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)