Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel efficient tires for 14" OE wheels

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageSEFan View Post
    I was looking at tires recently to see what I might buy in the future. I found these tires at TireRack.

Vredestein Quatrac 5

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...E&autoModClar=

They have great reviews on TireRack and Consumer Reports. Consumer Reports gave them an "Excellent" rating for rolling resistance. They are considered "All Weather" and not just "All Season" tires. "The three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol branded on a tire's sidewall indicates the tire meets required performance criteria in snow testing to be considered severe snow service-rated."

I think I might get these after my tires wear out. The price isn't bad either, compared to the Dunlop's.
    If you read other tire posts, you would know that I am very aware of the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires. They have come down in price some last time I checked, too.

If a person is sticking with 165/65-14 tires, I feel the Quatac 5 may be best all-season tire option that can handle some winter roads.

I see myself buying the Quatrac 5, but I have an interest in the Federal tires, too.

If you are interested in the Quatrac 5, check some other posts listed on the forum.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...tein-Quatrac-5

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageSEFan (03-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry, I'm a newbie. I was just trying to help, based on my recent discoveries. I didn't realize there were past threads on that particular tire already. I am still trying to find my way around the forum. Thank you for the web link.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageSEFan View Post
    Sorry, I'm a newbie. I was just trying to help, based on my recent discoveries. I didn't realize there were past threads on that particular tire already. I am still trying to find my way around the forum. Thank you for the web link.
    No problem! I think the Vredestein Quatrac 5 was a great find on your part. I didn't mean to make you feel bad either. Sorry!!! As you are discovering, 165/65-14 tires choices are very limited in the U.S. I don't mind the size, but I wish we had more options here. Some do that by going to a slightly larger 175/65-14 tire, but I don't mind sticking with the stock size (as long as good options exist).

These tires intrigue me, too. Traction may trump LRR (low rolling resistance) for me, and these tires may offer a little of both, which is even more interesting. I've been drawn to these tires since they appeared on tirerack.com. When I need a pair or set, I see myself trying them. Unless something else new comes along?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No worries! I think the Quatrac 5 gives the best bang for the buck right now. Maybe by the time I need to change them, there may be more choices available. Since LLR tires are becoming mainstream, I think we will more options in the future and hopefully more in our size.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    If you want to check out the most efficient LRR tyres for the Mirage, this link shows you what currently is the world's best:

https://www.reifendirekt.de/cgi-bin/...g_pro_Seite=20

The list is sorted by least rolling resistance on top. You can change the sorter on the top right to sort for either rolling resistance, wet grip or noise level. Unfortunately not all in that list are sold in the States...
    Last edited by foama; 02-10-2020 at 08:24 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    If you want to check out the most efficient LRR tyres for the Mirage, this link shows you what currently is the world's best:

The list is sorted by least rolling resistance on top. Unfortunately not all in that list are sold in the States...
    We live in a part of the world where the Ford, Dodge, & Chevy full size pickup trucks are the top three selling vehicles. Most tires companies don't even offer a 165 wide tire for the States. They start @ 175 and go up from there.

You have a lot of great choices. We don't have that much to discuss here in the States! Maybe that's a good thing????

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Did we not, in another thread, conclude that a certain spare tire, I really forget which one it was, was rated for 80mph or better with no short distance limits imposed on it.

It might even be the factory spare from a certain year that meets the speed and distance requirements to be safe for an everyday tire. I recall it was an affordable tire as well.

I think it was something bizarre like a 135 or so, maybe even a 125. I'm too tired and lazy right now to go searching.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    We live in a part of the world where the Ford, Dodge, & Chevy full size pickup trucks are the top three selling vehicles. Most tires companies don't even offer a 165 wide tire for the States. They start @ 175 and go up from there.

You have a lot of great choices. We don't have that much to discuss here in the States! Maybe that's a good thing????

My deepest sympathy to that situation!

Independant of the local situation within the States, that link gives you a worldwide overview.
    If some never-heared-of tyre is sold in your area, you can look it up there, and also check what ratings (rolling resistance, wet grip, noise level) it has.

And yes, I know there are extremely limited choices in that car segment in the States. I attended University there. There are dozens or more cars smaller than the Mirage offered in other places of the world, and they are regarded as medium to normal sized. Here a smaller car already costs most folks one complete monthly wage per year in running costs. We will soon be billed for CO2 output in our energy, Fuel and electricity prices may easily double or more, we don't exactly know much, but it may be likely to reach something equivalent to $15 to $25 per gallon within the next five years. Tendency incresingly soaring.
    Thats why we don't drive Dodge RAM or similar dinosaurs of technological development. How impudent to offer such trash! We just can't afford to waste fuel, nor afford the CO2 consequences which are far more expensive to us all.
    Last edited by foama; 02-10-2020 at 08:27 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

We will soon be billed for CO2 output in our energy,
    When that happens the world will experience the deepest darkest financial depression ever seen. Of course CO2 output will plummet because the middle class will be wiped out. So environmental problem solved. The earth is saved! Yay!

But half the countries in the world will be experiencing civil wars and revolutions.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Thats why we don't drive Dodge RAM or similar dinosaurs of technological development. How impudent to offer such trash! We just can't afford to waste fuel, nor afford the CO2 consequences which are far more expensive to us all.
    But I like my dinosaur, when I'm not fixing it, filling it up with fuel or driving it. My truck will probably last my lifetime if it doesn't rust away first as it's now only used for camping or hauling vehicles maybe half a dozen times a year.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)