Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel efficient tires for 14" OE wheels

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey,

I am reviving this old thread because I am on the hunt this week for 4 new tires 175/65R14 and I can see the prices of tires have gone up compared to last year. Im looking to put about 40,000 miles on my car in the next 5 years. So I am looking for tires that will offer good fuel economy and longevity and I have no concern about snow or about performance in rain.

So maybe in my case a set of $40 - $50 tires may meet this criteria. I see a few names in that price range.

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Hey,

I am reviving this old thread because I am on the hunt this week for 4 new tires 175/65R14 and I can see the prices of tires have gone up compared to last year. Im looking to put about 40,000 miles on my car in the next 5 years. So I am looking for tires that will offer good fuel economy and longevity and I have no concern about snow or about performance in rain.

So maybe in my case a set of $40 - $50 tires may meet this criteria. I see a few names in that price range.
    I would be more specific and share what exact tires you are considering for $40-50. Someone on the forum may have present or past experience with them.

What I considered a good $40-50 tire a few years ago is now more like $60-80 these days. Tires, batteries, etc... have really taken a jump in price.

Unless someone has their heart set on a certain brand or type of tire, I no longer see a great price advantage of 175/65r14 tires over 165/65r14 tires. 175/65r14 will give you more options, & some may just prefer that size.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-05-2022 at 03:44 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I would be more specific and share what exact tires you are considering for $40-50. Someone on the forum may have present or past experience with them.

What I considered a good $40-50 tire a few years ago is now more like $60-80 these days. Tires, batteries, etc... have really taken a jump in price.

Unless someone has their heart set on a certain brand or type of tire, I no longer see a great price advantage of 175/65r14 tires over 165/65r14 tires. 175/65r14 will give you more options, & some may just prefer that size.
    Hi Mark,

Yes I have been reading more posts since I posted this earlier paragraph and I do indeed realize that the market has changed for tires compared to last year. Its ironic that I am such a cheap son-of-a-witch that I pushed the factory tires to 5.75 years (27k miles) because I wanted to squeeze and extra year out of them and that the prices have now risen exponentially in 1 year due to the hyper-inflation and supply-chain shortages of USA

But yes I am searching for Summer tires (touring) that will get good gas mileage and that will last me 40,000 miles in a span of 5 years. And I said 175/65r14 because I figured that has the best selection but I am open to other sizes so long as I can keep my stock factory 14' wheels

I am hoping to get some suggestions so I can order within a week and I was thinking to get them installed a the local Mom and Pop shop that charges me like 10$ per tire. 2 years ago I had taken my Moms car over to the local Walmart to buy tires and do their whole $12 installation thing but the experience was not pleasant, It was not exactly "service with a smile" and I was left waiting 4 hours or so. So with that bad taste in my mouth I would prefer not to get the tires installed by the Walmart auto center. Im not gonna throw anymore business to Walmart's auto center or recommend anyone else to them.

They didnt "appreciate my business" so Im gonna turn my back on them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi Mark,

Yes I have been reading more posts since I posted this earlier paragraph and I do indeed realize that the market has changed for tires compared to last year. Its ironic that I am such a cheap son-of-a-witch that I pushed the factory tires to 5.75 years (27k miles) because I wanted to squeeze and extra year out of them and that the prices have now risen exponentially in 1 year due to the hyper-inflation and supply-chain shortages of USA

But yes I am searching for Summer tires (touring) that will get good gas mileage and that will last me 40,000 miles in a span of 5 years. And I said 175/65r14 because I figured that has the best selection but I am open to other sizes so long as I can keep my stock factory 14' wheels

I am hoping to get some suggestions so I can order within a week and I was thinking to get them installed a the local Mom and Pop shop that charges me like 10$ per tire. 2 years ago I had taken my Moms car over to the local Walmart to buy tires and do their whole $12 installation thing but the experience was not pleasant, It was not exactly "service with a smile" and I was left waiting 4 hours or so. So with that bad taste in my mouth I would prefer not to get the tires installed by the Walmart auto center. Im not gonna throw anymore business to Walmart's auto center or recommend anyone else to them.

They didnt "appreciate my business" so Im gonna turn my back on them.
    My local small town mechanic is usually cheaper than Walmart tires installed.

I think you should share the $40-50 tires you are considering in any size, because it's probably not going to be a well-known brand like Cooper, Goodyear, General, Firestone, etc...

I don't necessarily endorse Walmart, but I use them to find out options & pricing. If I am going into a small town shop, I am still going to dictate what I want. I need to know what is out there to do that, however. For example, the Federal SS657 tires were a good value in the past. I haven't seen them for quite some time now. Now I might say the 165/65r14 Kumho or Nexen tires may be the better value, but they aren't $40-50/tire any more either.

I compare prices of walmart.com, tires-easy.com, simpletire.com, and tirerack.com. Once I narrow down a tire that interest me, I ask my local shop about it. If they can't get it, he'll tell me to get it myself. He'll charge me about $10/tire to mount/balance them, but I have a good relationship with him. He takes of the driver's ed. cars in my town for me, too.

I needed new front tires & an alignment for my Chevy Impala this past November, & my new driver's education boss located in another town is sort of a prick. So I gave her the quote. My local guy was about $60 less for a pair of Cooper Evolution Tour tires installed verses Walmart installed. He charges $80 for an alignment. Walmart doesn't do alignments. Actually only a couple garages in my small town have an alignment machine, & he is considered the best in town. She approved my new tires & alignment being done by our local guy who services our cars. Thank you Walmart!

She has proposed having our car serviced where her office is 70 miles away in another town. Our local guy is a half mile from our high school, and he has keys to our cars parked there. He picks up the car & returns it when I need service done. At times, he has done things for free for us (like the last state inspection). She's clueless I swear!

I liked my former boss better, because she never questioned my judgment. She was smart enough to realize I knew way more than she ever cared to know about cars. That made me feel appreciated, too! I am not claiming to be an expert here, but I do shop around before buying stuff. It doesn't matter if it's my car or someone else's car.

Never overlook or take for a granted a good boss! Sorry for my short vent!
    Last edited by Mark; 01-05-2022 at 04:51 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-06-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    My local small town mechanic is usually cheaper than Walmart tires installed.

I think you should share the $40-50 tires you are considering in any size, because it's probably not going to be a well-known brand like Cooper, Goodyear, General, Firestone, etc...

I don't necessarily endorse Walmart, but I use them to find out options & pricing. If I am going into a small town shop, I am still going to dictate what I want. I need to know what is out there to do that, however. For example, the Federal SS657 tires were a good value in the past. I haven't seen them for quite some time now. Now I might say the 165/65r14 Kumho or Nexen tires may be the better value, but they aren't $40-50/tire any more either.

I compare prices of walmart.com, tires-easy.com, simpletire.com, and tirerack.com. Once I narrow down a tire that interest me, I ask my local shop about it. If they can't get it, he'll tell me to get it myself. He'll charge me about $10/tire to mount/balance them, but I have a good relationship with him. He takes of the driver's ed. cars in my town for me, too.

I needed new front tires & an alignment for my Chevy Impala this past November, & my new driver's education boss located in another town is sort of a prick. So I gave her the quote. My local guy was about $60 less for a pair of Cooper Evolution Tour tires installed verses Walmart installed. He charges $80 for an alignment. Walmart doesn't do alignments. Actually only a couple garages in my small town have an alignment machine, & he is considered the best in town. She approved my new tires & alignment being done by our local guy who services our cars. Thank you Walmart!

She has proposed having our car serviced where her office is 70 miles away in another town. Our local guy is a half mile from our high school, and he has keys to our cars parked there. He picks up the car & returns it when I need service done. At times, he has done things for free for us (like the last state inspection). She's clueless I swear!

I liked my former boss better, because she never questioned my judgment. She was smart enough to realize I knew way more than she ever cared to know about cars. That made me feel appreciated, too! I am not claiming to be an expert here, but I do shop around before buying stuff. It doesn't matter if it's my car or someone else's car.

Never overlook or take for a granted a good boss! Sorry for my short vent!
    I was looking at these because of the 60,000 mile warranty and good reviews

https://www.prioritytire.com/gt-radi...14-82t-as-a-s/

But I wonder how fuel efficient it is because of the all-season instead of "summer tire"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    But I wonder how fuel efficient it is because of the all-season instead of "summer tire"
    You keep saying this but typically "summer tire" means sticky and good handling and about as poor "fuel efficient" as can be.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    You keep saying this but typically "summer tire" means sticky and good handling and about as poor "fuel efficient" as can be.
    Thanks! Already you guys are helping me lots. I figured since I am in Florida were it never snows that summer would be a better tire as far as LRR.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://www.prioritytire.com/fortune...l-season-tire/

Im in the mood to gamble. Im gonna get these $46.76 each and then I can contribute a review for our Forum. 65,000 warranty so "lets see"

Fortune Tire company a subsidiary of Prinx Chengshan (https://en.prinxchengshan.com/index.php?id=aboutus)

The business of Prinx Chengshan can be traced back to 1976. Headquartered in Rongcheng City, Shandong Province, PRC, Prinx Chengshan is a modern enterprise focusing on the R&D, manufacturing, sales of tires and the provision of tire full-life-cycle services. Over the years, Prinx Chengshan has built two major production bases in China and Thailand, and established three major sales centers in China, North America and Europe to develop a global business operation.

Prinx Chengshan owns four renowned tire brands, namely Prinx, Chengshan, Austone and Fortune.The three major products of the company are all steel radial tires, semi-steel radial tires, and bias tires. The products have obtained certificates from relevant institutions in major tire markets worldwide, including DOT in the United States and ECE and R117 in the European Union etc.

Ok, gang. Im gonna "take one for the team" here and I have placed the order. $198 all-in shipped for 4 new tires including sales tax, tire disposal fee. And I found a local small tire shop that will mount and balance them for $40 buckaroos (and then Im gonna tip them $10)
    Last edited by fc321; 01-06-2022 at 04:23 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-05-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My advise to any of my friends is always, shop around and choose the best deal you are comfortable with of a brand you have heard of. You will as you say "gamble" much more often with a no name brand. That said, I did a quick google search of sub $50 175/65s and if I had to pick, I would go with these Kendas. Kenda has proven themselves to be a pretty decent product in a couple areas. Just my two shiny copper thingys.

https://www.giga-tires.com/175-65-14...irecode/217001
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-06-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    My advise to any of my friends is always, shop around and choose the best deal you are comfortable with of a brand you have heard of. You will as you say "gamble" much more often with a no name brand. That said, I did a quick google search of sub $50 175/65s and if I had to pick, I would go with these Kendas. Kenda has proven themselves to be a pretty decent product in a couple areas. Just my two shiny copper thingys.

https://www.giga-tires.com/175-65-14...irecode/217001
    I would second Basic's advice.

I have never purchased Kenda tires myself, but I would be more inclined to try them verses some other cheap brands. Kenda have been around for some time, and they operate under the umbrella of Cooper tires.

https://www.tiredeets.com/kenda-tires-review/

I have a good respect for Cooper's mid-priced tires. Mastercraft, Starfire, & other brands fall under the Cooper brand. Cooper, however, has been bought out by Goodyear recently. I haven't noticed much of a change since that, however.

Some of your other choices could be superior ones, but it's a bit of an unknown. If you take that gamble, I would love to hear what you think of them in the future.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-06-2022)