Thread: International warranty in Brunei major concerns please advise

Country
    Brunei
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

International warranty in Brunei major concerns please advise

Hello everyone, I am looking for some advice please about the Mirage warranty.

Firstly, I live in Brunei where the Mitsubishi agent here offers a skimpy 3 year or 60,000km warranty only. A far cry from what everyone else around the world seems to get AND a big difference from the Mitsubishi warranty in general.

However, here is my issue. Last week I bought a 2017 Mirage (manual) with only 16,000km on the clock as a private sale. I took it to the Mitsubishi agent here to transfer my ownership details on to their database and the service department told me flat out

THE WARRANTY IS NOT TRANSFERRABLE TO A SECOND OWNER

They said I am more than welcome to continue servicing the car with them but if anything goes wrong with it (as in the within 3 years or 60k) they will not honor the warranty.

Can an agent do this?
    Has anyone had a similar experience in another country re the warranty not being transferrable?
    Does anyone know what my rights are with Mitsubishi in general re the warranty?

Hope to hear from you soon

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstar1 View Post
    Hello everyone, I am looking for some advice please about the Mirage warranty.

Firstly, I live in Brunei where the Mitsubishi agent here offers a skimpy 3 year or 60,000km warranty only. A far cry from what everyone else around the world seems to get AND a big difference from the Mitsubishi warranty in general.

However, here is my issue. Last week I bought a 2017 Mirage (manual) with only 16,000km on the clock as a private sale. I took it to the Mitsubishi agent here to transfer my ownership details on to their database and the service department told me flat out

THE WARRANTY IS NOT TRANSFERRABLE TO A SECOND OWNER

They said I am more than welcome to continue servicing the car with them but if anything goes wrong with it (as in the within 3 years or 60k) they will not honor the warranty.

Can an agent do this?
    Has anyone had a similar experience in another country re the warranty not being transferrable?
    Does anyone know what my rights are with Mitsubishi in general re the warranty?

Hope to hear from you soon
    Hello watchstar1 and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with warranty. It is typical here for a portion of the factory warranty to follow subsequent owners, but it wasn't always that way. Unfortunately, you may be stuck with those terms. I'm curious to know if other car companies have similar policies there in Brunei?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Brunei
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hello watchstar1 and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with warranty. It is typical here for a portion of the factory warranty to follow subsequent owners, but it wasn't always that way. Unfortunately, you may be stuck with those terms. I'm curious to know if other car companies have similar policies there in Brunei?
    I've been here almost 10 years and it's the first I've heard. I had a VW and a Suzuki and they were both fine about transferring the warranty to me

Is this voiding of warranty by Mitsubishi Brunei not something I can write to Mitsubishi as the parent company about? Can't Mitsubishi global force Brunei to honor the warranty as the dealer is doing them a real disservice.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstar1 View Post
    I've been here almost 10 years and it's the first I've heard. I had a VW and a Suzuki and they were both fine about transferring the warranty to me

Is this voiding of warranty by Mitsubishi Brunei not something I can write to Mitsubishi as the parent company about? Can't Mitsubishi global force Brunei to honor the warranty as the dealer is doing them a real disservice.
    I agree with your sentiments that the dealer seems to be the cause of this. I don't see any problem with contacting Mitsubishi Motors directly - it can't hurt things. It doesn't make sense in this day and age, but it's not the first time I've heard of it. In fact, most cars I've owned were used and it helped me learn what little I know about cars - I've had to repair my clunkers.

Best wishes. I hope to hear that you can get this straightened out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Write a letter to the Sultan requesting a change be made!