Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steeringwheel off center (Alignment issue?)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Unhappy Steeringwheel off center (Alignment issue?)

Hi everyone, I purchased a brand new 2018 Mirage G4 cvt in August and have only 5500 KM. I noticed the steering wheel was slightly tilted to the left (~15 degrees) when driving straight and the car will slowly drift to the right if I hold the steering wheel in the center. Anyone had similar issue? I called the dealer and they said it might need alignment which will cost 129 + tax. Is it fair for a brand new car under warranty? Thank you!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    These cars are notorious for alignment issues with the rear axle. Unfortunately, it is not adjustable and must be replaced. This should be done under warranty. There are lots of posts about it here on this board.

Here in the US Mirages come with a 12,000 mile 'adjustment period', which should cover issues like this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

luckyforrest (11-20-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks alot! That sounds serious issue. Not sure if the dealer will replace the rear axle for free, I called them and asked about the issue, they told me it could because of the mis-alignment. Booked an appointment on Wed. hopefully they will fix the issue for free.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    Thanks alot! That sounds serious issue. Not sure if the dealer will replace the rear axle for free, I called them and asked about the issue, they told me it could because of the mis-alignment. Booked an appointment on Wed. hopefully they will fix the issue for free.
    They should fix it for free. In fact, this is exactly why new cars have a warranty: to correct factory defects. Mitsubishi knows about the issue and it is covered under the warranty here for 5 years or 60,000 miles. Not sure what the warranty coverage is in Canada, but with only 5,000 km on your car I am sure you are within the warranty period.

If the dealership drags their feet, raise hell.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Actually the first dealer I called they told me the alignment is not covered even if the car is brand new. Called the second dealer, they seems a bit more helpful and told me it might be covered by warranty. BTW. I installed winter tires on OEM rims 2 weeks ago (my steering wheel was slightly off center since day one), will they refuse to honor the warranty because I am not using original wheels and tires? Thank you Cobrajet!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Actually the first dealer I called they told me the alignment is not covered even if the car is brand new. Called the second dealer, they seems a bit more helpful and told me it might be covered by warranty. BTW. I installed winter tires on OEM rims 2 weeks ago (my steering wheel was slightly off center since day one), will they refuse to honor the warranty because I am not using original wheels and tires? Thank you Cobrajet!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wheels and tires don't affect the alignment. Though some alloy wheels are difficult to use some alignment equipment on.

If it's been off since day one, you should have never accepted the car! "Steering wheel is not straight! I'm not signing the papers until it's fixed. Go ahead, I'll wait."

It could be related to the rear alignment not being right. But, even that, they should have tweaked the front toe for the wheel to be straight. The fact that it's not indicates that either someone didn't check it (not likely), something is loose (possible... and potentially dangerous), or something is BENT (somebody curbed the car, or maybe tied it down with something wrapped around a tie-rod or something).

But, even with the notorious rear axle issue (which, I believe, is supposed to have been fixed before 2018's were out), the car should have left the factory with the steering wheel straight.

I wouldn't even trust the dealer on this. Take it to any alignment shop that offers a free alignment check. Or even spend $70 for an alignment. Then you know, independently, what your alignment is and can make an informed decision about how to proceed.
    Simplify and add lightness.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    BTW. I installed winter tires on OEM rims 2 weeks ago (my steering wheel was slightly off center since day one), will they refuse to honor the warranty because I am not using original wheels and tires?
    There are reports on this forum of dealers refusing warranty service to modified vehicles, and this includes wheels not purchased through them. I hope you have your original wheels - it would be simple to put those back on for warranty work, and the dealer would not have an excuse to avoid taking care of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    If it's been off since day one, you should have never accepted the car! "Steering wheel is not straight! I'm not signing the papers until it's fixed. Go ahead, I'll wait."

It could be related to the rear alignment not being right. But, even that, they should have tweaked the front toe for the wheel to be straight. The fact that it's not indicates that either someone didn't check it (not likely), something is loose (possible... and potentially dangerous), or something is BENT (somebody curbed the car, or maybe tied it down with something wrapped around a tie-rod or something).

But, even with the notorious rear axle issue (which, I believe, is supposed to have been fixed before 2018's were out), the car should have left the factory with the steering wheel straight.
    It's not uncommon for a new car to need an alignment after a bit of use as things settle in. In addition, this problem can be exacerbated by road crown.

I had this happen to me, where the alignment seemed fine when I first drove it off the dealer's lot but after some time I noticed the steering wheel was off. I simply took it back to my dealership, noted the problem, they checked and adjusted the alignment as best they could and ordered a replacement rear axle to take care of the rest - and it was all covered by warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I wouldn't even trust the dealer on this. Take it to any alignment shop that offers a free alignment check. Or even spend $70 for an alignment. Then you know, independently, what your alignment is and can make an informed decision about how to proceed.
    This is good advice if your dealer is giving you a run-around. Hopefully your dealer's service department doesn't give you a run-around. Until then, let's not panic just yet.

There are a couple threads that cover this subject. Follow the links for more reading:

Rear Wheel Misaligned?

Rear Alignment Problem FAQ

It has been a frustrating process for some owners. With a little knowledge, you can talk to the right folks at your dealer, Mitsubishi Motors North America, or it's Canadian representatives to get to the bottom of this.

We here are sensitive to the possibility that your rear axle is out of alignment but we really don't know if that's the cause without seeing the results of an alignment check. Hopefully, it's only your front end that needs a bit of tweaking.

Let us know how things turn out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    There are reports on this forum of dealers refusing warranty service to modified vehicles, and this includes wheels not purchased through them. I hope you have your original wheels - it would be simple to put those back on for warranty work, and the dealer would not have an excuse to avoid taking care of this.

It's not uncommon for a new car to need an alignment after a bit of use as things settle in. In addition, this problem can be exacerbated by road crown.

I had this happen to me, where the alignment seemed fine when I first drove it off the dealer's lot but after some time I noticed the steering wheel was off. I simply took it back to my dealership, noted the problem, they checked and adjusted the alignment as best they could and ordered a replacement rear axle to take care of the rest - and it was all covered by warranty.

This is good advice if your dealer is giving you a run-around. Hopefully your dealer's service department doesn't give you a run-around. Until then, let's not panic just yet.

There are a couple threads that cover this subject. Follow the links for more reading:

Rear Wheel Misaligned?

Rear Alignment Problem FAQ

It has been a frustrating process for some owners. With a little knowledge, you can talk to the right folks at your dealer, Mitsubishi Motors North America, or it's Canadian representatives to get to the bottom of this.

We here are sensitive to the possibility that your rear axle is out of alignment but we really don't know if that's the cause without seeing the results of an alignment check. Hopefully, it's only your front end that needs a bit of tweaking.

Let us know how things turn out.
    Thank you so much Eggman. I really don't want to take off the winter tires before I go to the dealer. Most of people here (Canada) will change to winter tires at this time. I will keep you guys updated.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thank you Loren, I thought it might need some time to settle down, but apparently, after 3 months and 5000KM, it did not. Hopefully, it is not a serious issue and the dealer will fix it once for all under warranty.