Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird tire clearance

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Weird tire clearance

Hi, I have owned the Mirage G4 for almost 4 months, but just noticed that the clearance of the two rear tires are significantly different: the clearance of the driver side is merely 5 cm, while the other side is 7 cm. The clearance of two front wheel is 7 cm. If I recall correctly, I did not notice this difference when I bought the vehicle.
    Tire pressure checked, all four tires are 3.85-39 psi. Had the alignment done four days ago at the dealer (the car pulls to the right due to alignment issue) after the alignment, the car is doing better, but seems pully slightly to the left, just a tiny bit. I replace the original tire with four 165 65 R14 winter tires last night and found the clearance issue, but generally, the car drives great. I also checked my wife's car, the clearance of all four wheels are pretty consistent. Should I worry about the variance in clearance? Thank you!Name:  m-1.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  89.0 KBName:  m-2.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  90.0 KBName:  Alignment-1.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  90.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Could be an indication of a blown rear shock. Back to the dealer.
    Simplify and add lightness.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

luckyforrest (11-24-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Could be an indication of a blown rear shock. Back to the dealer.
    How could that happen? It is a new car. I just measured the distance from flat ground to the fender, two front wheels: 62 cm, rear left: 60 cm, rear right: 64 cm. so 4 cm difference! That is a lot!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's an imperfect world, stuff breaks. That's why you have a warranty.

Unless you've got heavy stuff in the back of the car, and more of it on one side than the other, your heights shouldn't be THAT far off.
    Simplify and add lightness.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    It's an imperfect world, stuff breaks. That's why you have a warranty.

Unless you've got heavy stuff in the back of the car, and more of it on one side than the other, your heights shouldn't be THAT far off.
    Yes, 4 cm difference is huge for a new car. I do not have anything heavy on the left side of car. Will take it back to the dealer later today. Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Hey luckyforrest, do you suppose it's because that side gets loaded down more? I should check mine now that you mention it. In fact, I'm pretty sure I swapped my rear springs (from one side to the other) due to this.

Suspension settling in a car like this doesn't surprise me, and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Maybe you're taking a lot of hard left-hand turns haha.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey luckyforrest, do you suppose it's because that side gets loaded down more? I should check mine now that you mention it. In fact, I'm pretty sure I swapped my rear springs (from one side to the other) due to this.

Suspension settling in a car like this doesn't surprise me, and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Hello Eggman, I do not have any heavy stuff on my car, except a full tank of gas (~30 Kg at most). Actually, it is funny that I just realized it could because of the uneven private driveway: I drove the little Mirage to 2 different parking lot and measure the distance from ground to the edge of fence. Two front wheels: 62 cm, rear left: 61.5 cm rear right: 62.5 cm, so the difference is about 1 cm, which I think it totally acceptable.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

I just noticed you are in Cleveland, LOL. I worked at Cleveland Clinic for 1.5 years since 2016.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to luckyforrest For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-24-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    Hello Eggman, I do not have any heavy stuff on my car, except a full tank of gas (~30 Kg at most). Actually, it is funny that I just realized it could because of the uneven private driveway: I drove the little Mirage to 2 different parking lot and measure the distance from ground to the edge of fence. Two front wheels: 62 cm, rear left: 61.5 cm rear right: 62.5 cm, so the difference is about 1 cm, which I think it totally acceptable.
    Well, that just saves you a visit back to your dealer, doesn't it? Good thing you thought about this in a different way. Now there's no need to call your dealer about a busted shock lol. But now I have two more questions for you:

1. You'll have to take it to five more parking spots and average out the readings haha.
    2. We'll need more pictures of each measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    I just noticed you are in Cleveland, LOL. I worked at Cleveland Clinic for 1.5 years since 2016.
    Well, how about that. You're not the only one here who's worked there. Which location are you talking about - the Clinic's Main Campus or Toronto?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Well, that just saves you a visit back to your dealer, doesn't it? Good thing you thought about this in a different way. Now there's no need to call your dealer about a busted shock lol. But now I have two more questions for you:

1. You'll have to take it to five more parking spots and average out the readings haha.
    2. We'll need more pictures of each measurement.

Well, how about that. You're not the only one here who's worked there. Which location are you talking about - the Clinic's Main Campus or Toronto?
    5 different locations? Oh no, it is rainy today. I will keep an eye on it and remeasure it maybe every month. I worked at the main campus at Cleveland, it is a huge area, lol!