Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM cuts 14,700 jobs, multiple plants and 6 car models

Country
    United States
    Thanks

GM cuts 14,700 jobs, multiple plants and 6 car models

Wow I guess GM is just itching to go belly up.

The Cruze and volt were among the six cut.

When gas prices go back to 4+ a gallon GM is going to have nothing to offer their fans. Their company will offer big lumbaring SUVs and trucks basically.

Sad about all the jobs lost but no one is buying their junk. Save for their SUVs and trucks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-27-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Sounds a lot like Ford. Cars aren't selling, so shift the focus to producing more profitable vehicles...like trucks.

Former GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said the automaker historically would have raised sales incentives to try to sell more cars before resorting to plant closures.

“Nowadays GM looks at the hard reality, says we’ve got a demand problem on cars, what are we going to do about it. We have to shut some facilities and move production to truck plants,” Lutz said on CNBC’s “Halftime Report. ” “So I think what we are seeing is a fast-acting and reality-oriented GM management.”

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/26/gm-u...-quarters.html
    When they pull the plug on the Camaro/Corvette, that's when I'll start panicking.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Sounds a lot like Ford. Cars aren't selling, so shift the focus to producing more profitable vehicles...like trucks.
    GM has been cutting back on cars for years now. Think about it - Oldsmobile, Pontiac, & Saturn are long gone. These GM companies produced cars mostly (along with a few SUV models). Thus, the cuts continue!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    They are killing off models that don't sell, like eco-sedans, and are doing so to focus more resources on producing $60,000 diesel-powered 4wd dump trucks that rust if you look at them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think part of the issue is the key buyers for big sedans like the ct6 and lacrosse and impala are slowly aging out of the marketplace.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Too bad there isn't a car company brave enough to only sell cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's unlikely that gas will go to $4 / gallon in the US again anytime soon, and if it does it won't stay there long. Some economists are predicting that the next recession will be more deflationary and drawn out than the last one, of course others are predicting the opposite, as usual. When it hits they won't be selling anything so it doesn't matter what they produce.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Worried about $4 a gallon? You got it good. Gas just finally dropped below that here recently. I'd hate to be in Vancouver!

Attachment 13166

As far as GM goes, I feel they may benefit by dropping a few more lines. Do they really need GMC and Chev both wearing badges on trucks, Vans and Suv's. Is there even a market for Buick anymore when you can get the basically the same vehicle with a gmc or caddilac badge on it. Most old people I know want SUV/CUV's cause they're easier to get out of than cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Do they really need GMC and Chev both wearing badges on trucks, Vans and Suv's.
    GMC was created as a separate brand to allow Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, and Cadillac dealerships to sell what are essentially Chevrolet trucks without having to also carry the entire Chevrolet lineup.

A small, rural town might have a Buick dealership or a Pontiac dealership...but no Chevy dealer. Those dealerships could sell rebadged Chevrolet trucks as GMCs.

This arrangement makes less sense now that there are fewer brands under the General Motors umbrella.

Gas prices are still relatively high here in western Washington because, like our neighbors in Vancouver, we seem to like taxing ourselves to death. I paid about $3.39/gallon when I filled up last week. Fortunately, we voted down another huge gas tax initiative earlier this month.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No I dont think they need GMC and Chevrolet but they are keeping both and all models of trucks and SUVs of each. Very redundant. Buick sells like hotcakes in China. They LOVE Buick. If I had to choose a GM it would be a Buick. They consistently rate higher than all other GM vehicles in reliability.