Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Be gentle if you replace lug studs

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Anybody? Getting ready to pull the hub i guess

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Anybody? Getting ready to pull the hub i guess
    Haven't done any in the front on the Mirage, but on the other vehicles I have done there is usually a hole or recess in the the backing plate or knuckle to allow the stud to be knocked out?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (06-08-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Haven't done any in the front on the Mirage, but on the other vehicles I have done there is usually a hole or recess in the the backing plate or knuckle to allow the stud to be knocked out?
    And I found that if you have a compressor using a percussion hammer will drive the stud out easily. I got mine cheap at Princess Auto.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    And I found that if you have a compressor using a percussion hammer will drive the stud out easily. I got mine cheap at Princess Auto.
    They aren't big studs. Unless there are serious rust issues the stud should drift out pretty easily. I removed the studs from one of the rear drums I replaced and they came out pretty easily.

Couple hits with a BFH and they came right out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I haven't looked on the Mirage either, but any other time I had to, there was a hole. Hmm.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It looks like you can remove the caliper bracket and hammer the studs out, then draw new studs through?

Last edited by Cobrajet; 06-08-2020 at 11:59 AM.

I've been away.
    I haven't had to replace a stud on these things. I'd assume studs should be easy to replace, the hubs don't unbolt. They are pressed into the bearing.
    If you can get the old one out then great. If not, the backing plate is bolted to the spindle. Hopefully that gives enough room... If that doesn't help cut the old one off, then you could try and cut a small flat spot in the head of the new stud. That's worked good for me on on a few cars.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well I got it finally. There is no access hole that I could find... That was what was puzzling to me. I realized that once the stud was driven out of the hole there would be a little bit more wiggle room, and I was able to massage the dust shield enough that if the stud was at approx 2 o'clock I could just barely finagle it out.

Got it all back together and now there is a slight metallic rubbing sound. Gotta be the dust shield or the brake disc squealer. It was dark and I wasn't dealing with it last night.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (06-08-2020),Cobrajet (06-08-2020),Top_Fuel (06-08-2020)