Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Speedlab intake, header, and custom tune!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    How does this system handle the delete of the cat? I mean, there is a cat in there, or was, right? Wouldn't this throw a MIL?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorifuta View Post
    How does this system handle the delete of the cat? I mean, there is a cat in there, or was, right? Wouldn't this throw a MIL?
    If worse comes to worse you can put space out the second 02 sensor. We used spark plug foulers would find the one that fits the 02 sensor then drill one out and screw it into the second then screw the 02 sensor with 2 foulers into the exhaust stream. my 2g dsm didnt have a cat at all and it never threw a cel/mil

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, but how sensitive is a modern CANBUS O2 sensor compared to a unit from the late 90's? I'm also not terribly keen on deleting BOTH of my cats, though I may substitute the secondary cat for a high-flow unit... we'll see. Speedlab also has handy 90'degree 'CEL eliminators' that might work. I'd rather not be the first to try though, lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well evo guys do the same things on their evo x's and thats 2008+ I guess you could test it an easy way. through a straight pipe on there and put in the spacer see if it throws a cel

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was interested in this but, what im a little confused on is this header makes you delete your cat? In my state even if a car passes the emissions its illegal not to have a cat. I have to friggin pay someone to illegally pass my car every damn time even though it passes emissions on my evo no problem. Its still catless. I in no way would ever wanna do that with a Mirage. Not worthwhile at all.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    I was interested in this but, what im a little confused on is this header makes you delete your cat? In my state even if a car passes the emissions its illegal not to have a cat. I have to friggin pay someone to illegally pass my car every damn time even though it passes emissions on my evo no problem. Its still catless. I in no way would ever wanna do that with a Mirage. Not worthwhile at all.
    It replaces the standard exhaust headers off the engine block till just before the cat. It bolts onto the cat itself.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a good look and yes, you're right. I nearly jumped for joy when I realized I could swap in the Speedlab header and not have to do a CEL spacer, now I can just take the car to any speed shop and have them perform the work! Happy day

Now, the car has 2 catalytic converters for Federal emissions, but the second isn't monitored - and honestly, I don't think local inspectors will be smart enough to realize there's supposed to be a cat, not a flex pipe (which I will be replacing with my custom exhaust), after the primary cat.

My exhaust is so butchered right now, it isn't funny. I have 1.75" factory piping, going into a 2.0" Magnaflow resonator, back down to 1.75" factory piping because the muffler shop was cheap, up to 2.25" bend to clear the axle, back down to 1.75" factory elbow, stepped up to a 2.5" DC Sports muffler. The fact my fuel economy hasn't suffered is amazing. I'm going down to Pasadena, MD in March to have MBS Solutions do a proper 2" mandrel-bent exhaust system for the car with a T304 cannon muffler, and call it a day.
    Last edited by Dorifuta; 01-25-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I had a good look and yes, you're right. I nearly jumped for joy when I realized I could swap in the Speedlab header and not have to do a CEL spacer, now I can just take the car to any speed shop and have them perform the work! Happy day

Now, the car has 2 catalytic converters for Federal emissions, but the second isn't monitored - and honestly, I don't think local inspectors will be smart enough to realize there's supposed to be a cat, not a flex pipe (which I will be replacing with my custom exhaust), after the primary cat.

My exhaust is so butchered right now, it isn't funny. I have 1.75" factory piping, going into a 2.0" Magnaflow resonator, back down to 1.75" factory piping because the muffler shop was cheap, up to 2.25" bend to clear the axle, back down to 1.75" factory elbow, stepped up to a 2.5" DC Sports muffler. The fact my fuel economy hasn't suffered is amazing. I'm going down to Pasadena, MD in March to have MBS Solutions do a proper 2" mandrel-bent exhaust system for the car with a T304 cannon muffler, and call it a day.
    Are you doing this to your mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, absolutely, hands-down. Even if the HP gains are negligible until someone picks up a proper MAF tune (Touge Factory, I'm looking at you) I'm still going to get a cleaner sound out of the engine with more attitude, and lighten my exhaust system. The factory muffler (BEFORE the rear axle, not after) is pretty heavy.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Yes, absolutely, hands-down. Even if the HP gains are negligible until someone picks up a proper MAF tune (Touge Factory, I'm looking at you) I'm still going to get a cleaner sound out of the engine with more attitude, and lighten my exhaust system. The factory muffler (BEFORE the rear axle, not after) is pretty heavy.

You do realise changing anything after the headers results in lost power right?