Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speedlab intake, header, and custom tune!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Speedlab intake, header, and custom tune!

Speedlab made some parts for Mitsubishi Philippines Mirage Gymkhana series. These are apparently now available to the public. All items were designed for the 3A92 (1.2L) engine.

More info here: Mitsubishi Mirage Gymkhana: A taste of things to come

The first item they developed is an intake. This isn't your ebay slap on deal (which was shown to decrease power). This was actually dynoed and designed properly to maintain mid range torque, but increase high rpm power. The price is P7,500 ($173 US dollars).

Most people think making more power is as simple as slapping on a cheap intake tube and air filter. Here, that actually results in a big loss of midrange power, which leads to bogging when you shift gears. The specially designed resonator-equipped Speedlab intake minimizes this effect, while providing a solid 3-4hp gain at high rpm.

The next item available is a long tube header for the 1.2L engine. This piece is going for P10,500 ($243 US dollars).

A long-tube HotPipes header gives better exhaust flow, allowing each cylinder to exhale spent exhaust gases freely. It brings the total power bump to 4-7hp across a wide range of engine speeds.

The last item is a retune using a Unichip piggyback ECU. Its the most pricy at P30,000 ($693 US), but also gives the biggest gain (in combination with the other pieces).

...Speedlab offers a Unichip piggyback computer for P30,000 that boosts torque by 10Nm across the entire power band, and extends peak power all the way to redline. This gives more gain than any other bolt-on modification out there, and should help you put a hurt on those pesky 1.5-liter cars at the next track day.

cleaned up dyno chart

Here is a dyno chart which shows how the modifications effect your power output. The green line is a stock engine, the blue is with the intake and header installed. The purple is intake, header, and the ECU tune.

I also emailed Speedlab about part availability. They said the header is being put into production and will be available around December 2013. The intake kit is currently available as is the ECU tune.

Attached Images Attached Images     
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

JohnYuma (12-16-2019),m4v3r1ck (11-06-2013),MetroMPG (11-06-2013),Mistah JT (11-07-2013)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Not for 1.0?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Everything was designed for the 1.2L engine. It might physically fit the 1.0L (I don't know), but it wouldn't be tuned for it and thus wouldn't provide the gains that it did for the 1.2L. Likely you'd loose more low rpm power, and I'm not sure you'd gain it back at high rpms.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    where are the tunes for better mpg? this only increases hp/torque right? If you want a sporty car that is fun and cheap buy a miata.. this car looks like it is for saving gas

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2010 Yaris 1.5 manual: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The header might save you gas... doubtful it'll save you money.

I think just about since the invention of the car, guys have loved to soup up little cars.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I saw a geo metro putting over 600hp (from what the youtube link said) and messed my pants a little.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2010 Yaris 1.5 manual: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    aw too bad, maybe i'll wait for the turbo to be available on this car :-)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    So where can I purchase the intake and headers?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would contact Speedlab. I'm sure they'd be happy to sell you stuff.

Also, the intake is their design, not K&N's.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I've been emailing back and forth with Speedlab this morning. They sent me a dyno chart that shows the effect of their modifications. The green line is a stock engine, the blue is with the intake and header installed. The purple is intake, header, and the ECU tune.

They also said the header is being put into production and will be available around December 2013. The intake kit is currently available as is the ECU tune.