Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Oil Change Question

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Arrow Another Oil Change Question

I didn't want to highjack anyone else's thread, so I just figured I would start this one. I have a 2018 ES. And I drive a lot. I am averaging about 550 miles per week. I have read all over the place, including the manual that 7,500 miles is the recommended milestone for the first oil change. Plus I have read in this forum that switching to a thicker oil (Other than 0W20) will make the engine a bit more quiet.
    I just received my dealer "Free Oil Change" coupons in the mail and they are telling me change the oil every 3,000 miles. I have not had that many brand new cars and the 3,000 mile thing is a widely accepted rule (not a fact, just a rule of thumb).
    So, which is it?? Thoughts? Am I nuts, just putting too much thought into it?

I don't think it's a bad idea to do the first oil change a little sooner than normal. But I've only done that with maybe half our fleet and I don't see any engine problems whatsoever.

I change oil in all of our cars at 6000kms/about 4000miles cause they are used as delivery vehicles. Our one car I changed the oil every 12000kms/7500miles cause it put on about 7500miles a month all easy highway miles. It now has close to 400000kms/250000miles and I've never had an engine problem. It is starting to use about 1/2 liter every 5000km/3000miles but doesn't leak a drop. I've used 0w20 from new cause that's what the manual said iirc.
    Our temps vary from -40c/-40F to +39C/100F.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (11-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iriegnome View Post
    I didn't want to highjack anyone else's thread, so I just figured I would start this one. I have a 2018 ES. And I drive a lot. I am averaging about 550 miles per week. I have read all over the place, including the manual that 7,500 miles is the recommended milestone for the first oil change. Plus I have read in this forum that switching to a thicker oil (Other than 0W20) will make the engine a bit more quiet.
    I just received my dealer "Free Oil Change" coupons in the mail and they are telling me change the oil every 3,000 miles. I have not had that many brand new cars and the 3,000 mile thing is a widely accepted rule (not a fact, just a rule of thumb).
    I would take them up on the free oil change at 3000. I change mine every 5000 but that is overkill I'm sure. I also run 5w-30 and it definitely quiets down the "sewing machine" noise. If you plan on changing it yourself or taking it to a quick lube place I purchase the oil and filter and provide it to them. This way they don't overfill (Mirage only takes 3 quarts / liters) and it also insures that a decent oil filter is installed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (11-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You don't need to run heavier oil. It's not going to make the engine quieter, and it's not going to help anything. Use the 0w20 that the manufacturer recommends.

By default 0w20 is synthetic oil. You can easily do 10,000 mile intervals with good synthetic oil under normal driving conditions. 3000 mile oil changes haven't been required in over 20 years. The quality of engine oil and the additives used in it has improved greatly over the years.

Break-in is almost non-existent with modern design and manufacturing. The oil filter is going to do its job and capture any break-in material, anyway.

Just change the oil every 7500 to satisfy the warranty, and be happy.

The only engine problem I've heard of on these cars was related to too much fuel on extremely cold starts, and that was taken care of with an ECU reflash long ago. Just do what the manual says, and you should have a 300,000 mile engine without giving it any further thought.
    Simplify and add lightness.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

fc321 (12-07-2018),iriegnome (11-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would change your oil, I have a 2018 G4 with 2826 miles and just did my first oil change,
    What I took out was much darker than I had expected.
    I used factory 0-20 and my dealer only stock the larger filter.
    It requires slightly more oil and looked like it had a anti drain back valve, didn't spend much time looking at it as weather was starting to get nasty.
    If you change your oil yourself, removing the first oil filter took 12" channel locks and removing the black trim panel under the front of the car.. my filter socket, and 3 jaw wrench couldn't budge it.
    Me personally I will change my oil in the spring again regardless of miles and see how it looks, feels, then start going longer intervals between changes.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Aron For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did my first at 5,000. Now I change mobil 1 0/20 every 5000, im 3300 in right now and the oil Is still clean looking
    2018 mirage ES manual

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Timinator For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (11-30-2018)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I also run 5w-30 and it definitely quiets down the "sewing machine" noise.
    Thats weird, when i was on 10w-40 i can hear the engine noise but when i changed to 0w-20 ECO oil from Mitsubishi it was lesser atleast to me or im the weird one

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mitsumi For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (11-30-2018),LetItMarinate (04-29-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    You don't need to run heavier oil. It's not going to make the engine quieter, and it's not going to help anything. Use the 0w20 that the manufacturer recommends.

By default 0w20 is synthetic oil. You can easily do 10,000 mile intervals with good synthetic oil under normal driving conditions. 3000 mile oil changes haven't been required in over 20 years. The quality of engine oil and the additives used in it has improved greatly over the years.

Break-in is almost non-existent with modern design and manufacturing. The oil filter is going to do its job and capture any break-in material, anyway.

Just change the oil every 7500 to satisfy the warranty, and be happy.

The only engine problem I've heard of on these cars was related to too much fuel on extremely cold starts, and that was taken care of with an ECU reflash long ago. Just do what the manual says, and you should have a 300,000 mile engine without giving it any further thought.
    /\ /\ This.

Modern engines are much cleaner than engines were back in the '4-barrel carburetor' days. They don't contaminate their oil with as much unburned fuel, carbon, etc, as older engines did, and it is this contamination that causes engine wear. The oil itself does not break down or wear out and this is especially true of modern synthetic oil. Because of this, used engine oil can be...and is...re-refined and resold. It is essentially as good as new oil.

It is no surprise the dealership wants you to change every 3,000 miles...they want to be paid to do it. But it is an absolute waste of money on any modern car, even one as low-tech as the Mirage. Mirages sold in other markets have much higher OCIs. Mitsubishi is very conservative with the OCIs here in the US because we get a really long powertrain warranty that other markets don't get.

Do what the manual says...7,500 miles...and you will be fine. That is what I have done with my car since new. I now have 107,000 miles with no problems.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iriegnome View Post
    It is not a bad idea to do the first oil change (or two) somewhat earlier than called for by the manufacturer. Any more is an economic and environmental waste.

In Wisconsin, I suggest sticking to 0W-20, the thinnest oil recommended. You would see no benefit in switching to a thicker oil. Thicker oil can contribute to increased startup wear.

If your dealer is willing to change your oil for free every 3,000 miles, take them up on it.

If your dealer is willing to change your oil every 3,000 miles, that may be considered a minimum oil change interval and one which keeps customers coming back to their service department for other purchases. Mitsubishi allows 7,500 miles between oil change intervals for warranty purposes. 5,000 mile oil change intervals should be acceptable too. No matter who does your oil changes, keep track of them with documentation for warranty purposes.

Engine oil change intervals are based on two criteria - time and distance. Most all motor vehicle manufacturers specify something like "six months or 7,500 miles - whichever comes first." With an engine oil that meets ILSAC specifications, there is no need to worry about the distance criteria. More specifically, it is incorrect to focus solely on distance requirements alone.

Engine oil and change intervals are subject to holy wars. It seems everyone has their own opinion on the matter. There are online forums dedicated to it. We as humans have a tendency to make stuff up. Set aside opinion in favor of fact. For a more thorough explanation, please read this series starting with the first chapter. You'll learn more about oil than can be covered here.

Bob Is The Oil Guy - Motor Oil University - Motor Oil 101 – Chapter One – Operating Temperatures and Viscosity

You'll have to let us know what you decide. I usually keep tabs on these things in my forum Garage entry.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (11-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am looking at the 3 month mark with my car and about 7,500 miles. The coupons from the dealer are good for 3 oil changes in 1 year, so it will not matter how many miles are on the car. I am certainly going to take them up on the 3 changes. Especially since the weather has a lot to do with being able to change oil in the car. Prior to my little Mirage, the newest car I owned was a 2003 Toyota. So I am absorbing all this new engine technology stuff quickly. Thanks everyone for the input.