Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTF is happening!? (Check Engine light and loss of power)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exclamation WTF is happening!? (Check Engine light and loss of power)

Computer is going crazy. While driving I'll suddenly get several CELs, and if I keep driving for a few seconds while this happens, I get a total loss of "go" power (engine is still running normal, but can't accelerate) if I pull over, shift to park, turn off, and on again, it will resume like normal with only "service engine soon" lit up. Trying to make it home from work (6min drive) it was doing this and I was almost home so I kept going, and while I was pulling over to turn the car off, it felt like the transmission threw itself into reverse or something (car jerked real hard like I drove over a curb or something) but then once I got it off & made it the last block to my house it seems to drive like normal (smooth shifts, no strange noises).

I don't know wtf is happening, but I can imagine the plethora of potentials it COULD be.

I see it's mad about something with the air conditioning, and transmission (something about the neutral position sensor?) but some of these are too generic for me to figure out.

Name:  Screenshot_20200407-073017_Torque.jpg
Views: 2670
Size:  69.5 KB

In the video, once the lights come on, the car jerks around for a brief moment, and then feels like it is no longer in park, but is now in neutral (I had one leg out of the car, and was able to push it back a couple feet)

2018 GT CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Do you have a bluetooth device plugged in to your OBDII port right now? Is that how you are reading all of these codes? If so, remove the device from your OBDII port and see if the car behaves normally.

This has come up before. Some of these bluetooth devices can cause all sorts of issues to appear with the Mirage's computer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-07-2020),poorman1 (04-07-2020)

Exactly. Before taking your car to the dealer and trying to say your car attempted to kill your wife like that one guy, unplug whatever it is you have plugged into your obdII port. Most devices don't work properly with Mitsubishi Mirage's. I had the same problem almost 6 years ago with multiple cars. Odd thing is I still haven't found another vehicle that act's up like the Mirage's did with the exact same things plugged into them. I've tried dodge's,fords, chev's, hyundai,kia, anything I could get my hands on thinking it was the devices fault but nope....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Third vote for sh!t-canning the OBDII device, if you are running one. These cars don't tolerate them well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Third vote for sh!t-canning the OBDII device, if you are running one. These cars don't tolerate them well.
    Yep, everything he says mine did too. Reset codes, pulled OBD2 scanner and not an issue since.

Not the cars but owners fault.
    (blank signature)

Here's the guy I was thinking of. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ng-on-the-road That was fun....

We didn't even get a thank you

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (04-08-2020),Top_Fuel (04-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Disconnect the Progressive Snapshot; Flo will understand.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-08-2020)

Stupid Flo. I can get one of those things too to save $50 or whatever it is. I guess Mirage owners aren’t able to get that discount hey?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Stupid Flo. I can get one of those things too to save $50 or whatever it is. I guess Mirage owners aren’t able to get that discount hey?
    Discounts? We don't get any discounts. We're wreckless teenagers, buying a car for the first time. Oh and the only person that would buy a mirage is someone who is down on their luck and unable to finance a "better" vehicle for 7 years.

This is why you don't read the comments folks. It really changes a man. *Stares off into the distance*

In other news, I have used those cheap ELM327 bluetooth OBD adapters and have not seen these kinds of issues. Wonder which ones trigger it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to precisionxt For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    At the time of all the lights & such, I didn't have anything plugged in. Only used the OBD for after I was home. If we make assumptions that it's unrelated to the OBD, what could it be? I'm scheduled to take it to the shop to hopefully cover under warranty this afternoon, but if not I'm just hoping to have an understanding of all this before the shop hits me with a crazy bill or something